September 2013 Moms
Options

Has anyone used 'Meetup'?

We are fairly new to our area and I was looking to find a moms group in my area but every time I google it, meetup.com comes up first. I was wondering if anyone here has used it before?

I don't know why, but I feel a little pathetic because I don't have any friends here. I have always been a bit shy when it comes to new people so it is hard for me to find new friends.

I am a SAHM in desperate need of interaction with other moms who I have something in common with. You ladies have been fabulous but I need to get out of the house once in a while! The weather is too fabulous here in FL to stay cooped up all the time. :)

If you don't have experience with meetup groups, is there another site you have used? Thank you!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone used 'Meetup'?

• Options
    I used it when i moved to the area. I think it's a great way to find a mom and baby group. Local hospitals and birth centers may have groups, too. Facebook might be another option. You might look into peps, too.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    Ecstatic83Ecstatic83 member
    edited January 2014
    I joined the local moms group on Facebook. I haven't actually met any of them but it can be good for recommendations on things like pediatricians, dentists, kids activities, etc. Also, if your town has Mommy and Me classes that might be a fun way to meet moms.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used Meetup to find my former mom's group and it was super easy to use plus the other moms were in the same boat and looking to meet new friends. I ended up finding a better fit through my church that was closer to my home but I'm still Facebook friends with some of the moms.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    I am part of a MOPS group and we meet every other Thursday. It is nice because they have daycare so the moms get to just hang out. Then they schedule play dates and mom's night out at other times throughout the month. They have a Facebook page so moms are always asking for things like hairstylist recommendations or places to eat. I have really enjoyed the group.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The moms group I have been in for almost 3 years is off of meetup and I am so so happy I found it/them. I grew up in the area we live so we know a ton of people in the area, but none with friends. Try not to feel pathetic. Use it to find what you need because the people you meet want the same thing and you don't think they are pathetic. 
  • Options
    You can also find mom groups that meet for certain activities at places like gyms for mommy and me yoga, music classes for babies, dance classes, swimming classes (when it's warmer), local libraries and community centers...just some more ideas.
  • Options
    I am in a mom's group through meet up. Most of the ladies that attend regularly are fabulous. I even hosted my own "playdate" today with a group of 6 other moms. It has been really nice to ask questions of moms who have LOs that are older than Owen. It is also really fun to see how all the LOs are progressing. 

• Options
    I used it, as well, and love the group of moms and babies that I now have! Don't feel pathetic, it's hard making friends.. Especially with a new LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"