2nd Trimester
Options

Pumping tips, anyone?

I am looking to do some formula, but also add some pumping into it...I really don't want to actually breastfeed, just pump every so often. I know that may sound weird or selfish! I was wondering what I should put on my registry as far as a pump or other equipment... What all do you need to pump, other than the pump itself? Thank you for reading everyone

Re: Pumping tips, anyone?

• Options
    You can't just pump "every so often."  Your milk is produced based on supply/demand.  If you aren't nursing/pumping regularly, then you will dry up.  

Not trying to push you one way or the other (personally, I EBF last time and found it easier than keeping all the bottles and pump parts and pieces clean everytime LO had a bottle/I had to pump), but just realize that you can't just pump "every so often" if you are primarily formula feeding your baby.

As to what you need if you decide to pump, it depends on what brand pump you get as far as the accessories they'll need, but at the very least you'll need bottles, probably some milk storage bags, tubes, nipple shields, flanges, and I definitely recommend a hands free bra so you don't have to hold the things to your chest every time.
  • Options
    Ditto the above.  Milk production is supply and demand - no demand = no supply.

I would encourage you to at least give nursing at the breast a go - you can always stop but it's very difficult to get going again.  And your milk comes in easier with baby at the breast than trying to pump.

kellymom.com is a fabulous place to do a bit of reading on all things breastfeeding including pumping.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As PP said there has to be the demand to keep your supply.  When I had DS he was in the NICU for 2 weeks on a feeding tube; I never got the chance to actually breastfeed him but I pumped religiously so that he was still getting the nutrients and benefits of breastmilk.  If I missed a single pump I noticed a decline in production, I was able to stockpile enough early on to keep him on breastmilk for about 3 months but after about 2 months I went dry.

I would at least try breastfeeding and stopping if you don't enjoy it, it's the one thing I wish I could have done with DS and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the twins will be able to breastfeed.  Not just for the health benefits but for the bonding as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else... your milk will try up if you don't pump as often as your baby would need to feed. So basically you have to either pump that often or just stick to formula. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do both anyways.
  • Options
    Let me rephrase lol....I would be pumping whenever needed and obviously storing the rest....didn't know about storage options and whatnot
  • Options
    Let me rephrase lol....I would be pumping whenever needed and obviously storing the rest....didn't know about storage options and whatnot

Pumping whenever needed still doesn't make sense if you're planning on formula feeding. Pumping is usually done when you aren't nursing for a feeding for some reason (at work for example or baby isn't latching well), need to increase your supply or create a stash for being away from baby, or have chosen to exclusively pump. Again, it's supply and demand, so pumping would be needed whenever baby needs to eat and you aren't nursing for whatever reason or you will dry up.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"