Attachment Parenting
Options

into and what is your favorite wrap/carrier

Hi all

I have not posted much (mostly just lurking on my moth board), I am a FTM with and edd of may 20.
I currently live in new england (in a town so small that I have to drive 30min into the next town just to go grocery shopping) but hoping to move back home to colorado if DH gets the new job.  Being a first time mom I don't have much practical knowladge and relying on reviews to figure out what we will need/use vs what we can skip so I do thank you so much for your advice.

I am very interested in using a wrap and trying to figure out what one to get.  I know that the moby and other super stretchy ones are not my thing, they sound great for a newborn but don't last very long due to weight restrictions.

I have been looking at a wrapsody but can't choose if I want their stretch hybrid or the breeze.  I have read reviews and there are some pros and cons to each but I would love to hear what you think. Or if you know of another brand that is better!

what I need out of the wrap:  last a long time (newborn-preschool sounds great as some wraps claim they can do), fit different size caregivers (there is a 7inch and 75lb difference between me and DH), something that once I get LO in I don't have to adjust epically when out walking dogs or trying to get some good photos, something that I can use to carry LO a variety of different ways, easy to care for/clean, and if course it has to be affordable.
WOW that sounds like a lot to ask for...hope something is out there that will work

things I don't need: color options the wrap does not have to be supper pretty but it does have to support and do the job, that it takes a bit to learn how to use the wrap,

what type of carrier do you use and what makes you love it? also if you can share what you don't love so I can get my full list of pro/con.
     yea i am that girl who has a ton of lists trying to figure out what is going to get us the most bang for our buck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
told I would probably never conceive naturally- 5.18.07
love of my life- 3.14.13

3 rescue dogs- 7.12.13 + 9.4.13 + 6.22.13
Briar Ruby expected May 2014

Re: into and what is your favorite wrap/carrier

• Options
    What part of NE are you in?  I'm in CT ;)

I have lots of info on carriers in my siggy link that you may find useful. I personally love woven wraps the most and find them the most versatile.  I generally recommend something all cotton that's a thin-medium weight, in your price range and a color you love :)
  • Options
    Thanks, deff checking it out.
     I am in NH  (near the tourist town of north conway) it was a huge change going from denver to here, but I'm learning to love it :)
    love of my life- 3.14.13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love my woven wrap. I have a Girasol wrap in a size 7. I'm a bit on the fluffier side, so a 7 is good enough for me to do a lot of the more complicated wraps as well as my SO. For quicker carriers I have a Tula. My SO can also use the Tula, but he has his own Ergo. Before I got my toddler Tula I had an Infant sized Kinderpack. I loved the KP for the infant stage since it has an adjustable base so little babies can be feet out from the get go. Through all of this I always turn to my wrap for longer trips (like the zoo) since it's super comfy and snuggly. My son loves it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    katharine25katharine25 member
    edited January 2014
    I started out with a wrapsody hybrid, but by 3 months when my DS hit 16lbs we graduated to a Didy woven and haven't looked back. A woven wrap is so versatile and is really comfy for baby and mama. I look forward to using it more as he gets older too. The hybrid was just so not supportive At all once he started bulking up. Go straight to a woven if you want a wrap - but I will say there's something to be said for the cozy and soft closeness of the stretchy fabrics, even if they are only used for a short period. It really was our savior for those early days.

I also love my ring sling and use it ALL the time. In the house, at the store, nursing in public, etc. whenever I need to get him up quickly with minimal fuss and time.
    And we use the Ergo for hikes and walks, and it's the only one DH really is comfortable using.

That $$$$ stroller? We've only used that 3 times so far, and every time DS just ended up in a carrier anyways.

If I had to pick the one I couldn't live without, it would be the woven, then the ring sling, but really, Buy ALL the carriers :)

PS, we got married in Jackson. It's so beautiful there :)
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    @katharine25- Jackson is very pretty! I love it up here, super pretty, but not a lot of things to do it seams (or I'm just not finding them right now)

I think I am going to start with a woven (hubby thinks that spending money on 'just a strip of fabric' is silly) but he is coming around with the more I show him about it. Plus he is excited because I showed him that even thou there is a significant size difference we can use the same wrap, apparently he thought we would have to spend twice the amount of money because we would need two different ones. Also I found some pictures of fathers baby-wearing it has helped a lot!

Thanks!
    love of my life- 3.14.13

• Options
    i liked the baby k'tan for little babies and the ergo for when they're a little bigger.

baby k'tan- pro: stretchy, snuggly, easy to wash, ok for newborns
    cons: has to be sized to the wearer (so you can't share it with your partner, necessarily), takes a little figuring out at first to figure out how to put it on and wrangle the baby into it

ergo: easy to put on, can be adjusted to the wearer, very comfortable, high weight limit so you can carry toddlers, can wear baby in the front or in the back
    cons: they recommend washing it as little as possible, it's expensive, you have to buy a separate insert to use with newborns (although if you have a tj maxx or marshall's around, i've been seeing them there for $60- i got mine at tj maxx)
  • Options
    I started out in Target sling and dd just loved it for last two years but is now too big. Just got ERGObaby- love it, wish had done sooner. All weight on hips, does front, side, and back- hood for baby that tucks in. Great! Dd has matching one for her "baby" too! Too funny! Have also had and used Moby and back pack style w frame but this one I like personally better and doesn't take as much space when not in use.
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"