Working Moms
Options

Possible change in office location- long commute- WWYD?

Hi All-

I work for a University with a few campus locations in CO. Previously, I was working on the main campus and had an hour commute each way. A few months ago, I was able to move to a satellite location that is about 20 minutes from home. I have been so happy working from this location and was sad to hear a rumor that all of the folks that work at satellite locations may have to move back to the main campus. To make a long story short, we have a new dean that may require that we are all located in one building on the main campus. Right now it's just a rumor, but we should be finding out what's going on this week. I did the commute for 3 years and I know that it does not work for my family any more. I love my job, but moving closer is not an option for us- we have kids in school and we like where we live. WWYD? Would you start looking for other jobs or do you think that I should try and propose work from home a few days/telecommuting options? Anyone been through an change in office location before? Were you allowed to have flexibility?

Re: Possible change in office location- long commute- WWYD?

• Options
    I would start looking, but definitely present the option of teleworking or some other flexible work schedule. 

They may offer teleworking for a period of time to help people transition back to driving to the main campus.  However, that will vary depending on the person making those decisions.  Changes in leadership can be very stressful!
  • Options

You got some great advice. I feel for you I also work in  satellite location.  My job is over 80 miles from where we live and moving is not an option it is very expensive in Northern Va. and I am not paid to market for that area.  Even if I was paid to market the house we live in would easily 200K more in that area.  My boss has been great and does not care where I work because I am accessible anytime etc… we work great together. I have always worked remote for him as he wanted me on his team when our group was created and I did not want to move.  Unfortunately, he will retire in the next three to five years and I could be forced to work in Va. depending on the views of our new VP.   DH and I have been planning for it and I have started looking for a new job. The stress of the unknown is getting to me.   I am not going to jump right away as  I have a good situation but I want to keep my options open and not feel like I don’t have options.  I suggest putting some feelers out so you are not blindsided.  It can take months just to interview.  I have been talking to a company about a position since September. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My job is over 80 miles from where we live and moving is not an option it is very expensive in Northern Va.

Yes Nova is very expensive! I commute into DC everyday and live in nova. We would love to be able to rent a townhouse in this area but 2k for rent is way out of our budget. We will be sticking to apartments and commuting for now.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the great advice- There have been a few decisions made in our department and it looks like the satellite folks have nothing to worry about for the time being. That being said, things are changing so I am going to be putting my feelers out there.
    I appreciate the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"