September 2013 Moms
Options

X-ray for LO

We went to the doctor for DD's 4 month well child check and I asked about her thighs being uneven. They are the same size, but one has a roll and the other doesn't, if that makes any sense.

Doctor checked her out and said they want to check her for a hip abnormality. :( he said if she does have one it would be slight and probably would not require surgery.

Anyone else been through this or know anything about it?

Re: X-ray for LO

• Options
    It would be considered hip dysplasia. My DD has it and has been in a pavlik harness for the last 5 weeks 23 hours a day. This coming Friday we will get released to 12 hours a day. Makes clothes buying hard and it took about a week to get adjusted to sleeping in the harness.
    TTC since May 2011
    M/C #1 Chemical Pregnancy Aug 2011
    M/C #2 Blighted Ovum Feb 2012
    M/C #3 Missed Miscarriage after HB Aug 2012
    BFP #4 1/12/13 EDD: 9/26/13 Betas 12DPO: 45, 14DPO: 156, 19DPO: 904, 21DPO: 1,972, 26DPO: 12,230, 28DPO: 22,017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO doesn't have matching rolls. I figured that was normal. I always weigh difficult medical decisions by asking what would happen if they did nothing. If they don't do the X-ray, is there some other way it would manifest itself (gait issues, etc.), and you could get the X-ray then? If they do see something, what is the treatment? If they wouldn't treat it anyway. (i.e. if it's watch and wait), then is there a reason to get the XR now? Just some things to think about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally it isn't something you should wait on but you could ask for an ultrasound instead of X-ray. If it isn't caught by 6 months the risk of having surgery goes up. My LO was diagnosed by ultrasound. It can cause limping when they learn to walk.
    TTC since May 2011
    BFP #4 1/12/13 EDD: 9/26/13 Betas 12DPO: 45, 14DPO: 156, 19DPO: 904, 21DPO: 1,972, 26DPO: 12,230, 28DPO: 22,017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @littlar why did they think your LO needed to be checked? Did try say if it was severe or mild? Will she need something when she is learning to walk? Sorry for 20 questions. LO has her X-ray this week and I sm anxious.

• Options
    @vitaluna those are good questions. I was just frozen I guess when the doctor was talking, I never think of questions until after I leave. I do think they want to diagnosis ASAP though, so it doesn't get worse because it was left untreated.

• Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited January 2014

@vitaluna those are good questions. I was just frozen I guess when the doctor was talking, I never think of questions until after I leave. I do think they want to diagnosis ASAP though, so it doesn't get worse because it was left untreated.

I'm a nurse and I still freeze in the doctor's office. :) What are they looking for? Like PP said, certain things, like hip dysplasia, can be diagnosed by u/s. Dysplasia is definitely something you want to know about as soon as possible. But I don't think X-rays are used for diagnosis (?) I think just the u/s.. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. My LO had an u/s at ~8wks since she was frank breech and that increases the risk of dysplasia.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My daughter had hip dysplasia. She was in a pavlik for a couple months. She was diagnosed at 6 weeks via US but her last appt was an X-ray since she now has bones. I'm not sure of the logistics on that but I'd suggest whatever the (hopefully pediatric orthopedist) tells you and diagnose ASAP.
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• Options

@littlar why did they think your LO needed to be checked? Did try say if it was severe or mild? Will she need something when she is learning to walk? Sorry for 20 questions. LO has her X-ray this week and I sm anxious.

Hers was mild and they checked since she was born breech. It is a lot more common in breech babies. Once we are done with the pavlik harness that is it just regular check ups to make sure very thing is still good. It is much easier to treat in children under 6 months!
    TTC since May 2011
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"