Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

napper/bouncer/rocker/swing oh my! what do I need?

milomiamilomia member
edited January 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
I'm not quite sure which I will need for the baby during waking hours when I'm washing dishes, doing laundry, etc at home. I truly don't want something too overstimulating, but perhaps whatever will rock the baby to sleep is what I need. I also want something not too obnoxious-looking. I like the Tiny Love 3-in-1 but it doesn't have movement (just some sounds), is that ok? Any experience with this?

Thank you :)

Re: napper/bouncer/rocker/swing oh my! what do I need?

• Options
    I asked the same thing the other week...it's so overwhelming! My SIL said to get a napper/rocker for by our bed and I decided not to. The baby is going to sleep in the crib day 1. We are right across the hall in a loft condo, so i dont need her right there. I can walk the 5ft to get to her crib. Right now I am going with a bouncer (FP Snuggapuppy) until I know what she likes. Then I may buy a swing if that's what she needs/likes. I plan to borrow one from a friend before I buy too.

I also registered for the baby k-tan carrier so I can "hold" her while cleaning or doing laundry, etc. Its not huge like other carriers but still allows me to have her close & have free hands. If you have the $$, I personally loved the mamaroo swing. It's so quiet and has different motion options. It's $250 in store but I saw them on Craigslist for way cheaper. If I decide to get a swing, I'm going for that one.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I also got the K'tan! I will look into the Snuggapuppy. I also saw a  Fisher Price Zen-something or another, wonder if that would be a good one...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All we had was a swing and a pnp with bassinet feature. That was all I felt I needed. We also tried her in a borrowed swing before we opened ours. Next time I think I would like a rock n play, but that is mor for the portability with a older child at home.

I will also say I love the look of the tiny love, but I had an unplanned c-section and because of how low to the ground it is I would not have been able to put DD in or get her out with out pain for at least 8 weeks. Also if you have pets they may be more 'in babies face' because of how low it is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would suggest having something to sit the baby in for each floor of your house (if you have multiple floors).  
  • Options
    Around 3-4 weeks, both of my previous kids suddenly got very antsy and didn't want to be in any one "butt shaker" for more than a few minutes at time. I was still recovering from a c/s and couldn't wear them comfortably for long so we really did need at least a bouncer and a swing so that I could move them back and forth.  This is one reason why I don't think a MamaRoo type thing would have worked on my babies.  They just needed a change of scenery/position more than a change of motion if that makes sense?  Anyway, it really is going to depend on your baby so I would at least get a swing OR a bouncy/rocker chair to start with.  If you are tight on space, go for the chair and if you find you need a swing- those things are a dime a dozen on CL or consignment stores.  You can get great deals on them and they are easy enough to wash that you shouldn't worry about it being used.  I also agree that you don't want to only get something low to the ground in case you end up with a c/s.  A rock n play is a nice alternative that is raised up a little higher off the ground.  Someone gave us one this time and I think we will probably get a lot of use out of it those first few weeks.

• Options
    I asked the same thing the other week...it's so overwhelming! My SIL said to get a napper/rocker for by our bed and I decided not to. The baby is going to sleep in the crib day 1. We are right across the hall in a loft condo, so i dont need her right there. I can walk the 5ft to get to her crib. Right now I am going with a bouncer (FP Snuggapuppy) until I know what she likes. Then I may buy a swing if that's what she needs/likes. I plan to borrow one from a friend before I buy too. I also registered for the baby k-tan carrier so I can "hold" her while cleaning or doing laundry, etc. Its not huge like other carriers but still allows me to have her close & have free hands. If you have the $$, I personally loved the mamaroo swing. It's so quiet and has different motion options. It's $250 in store but I saw them on Craigslist for way cheaper. If I decide to get a swing, I'm going for that one.

While this is a terrific thought, keep in mind it may not happen. I said the same thing and my daughter is 8mths old and is still in my room in her pack n play. She had issues after we brought her home that kept her from sleeping in her own crib. Also, I loved the mamaroo too but my DD didn't - every baby is different!

OP - we swore by our rock-n-play, in fact once DD got older and didn't fit we weren't quite sure what to do.

• Options
    We had a bouncer and borrowed a swing. Both were awesome. The bouncer was easy to take with when we went other places, and when she was fussy, the swing worked wonders. We didn't use the mobile because shed get fussy when the thing she was looking at disappeared. She slept solely in the PNP (early on) or crib (starting at about 1 month). Trust me, you'll want to be able to put the LO down sometimes. Then again, she had trouble nursing, do I was also pumping every 3 hours. Then, you REALLY need to have somewhere to put her down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"