March 2013 Moms
Options

Diagnosed Hernia 9 Months PP (Vent / PSA) (Long)

After having LO I lost the weight right away and my stomach seemed in good shape. Then as the months went by it seemed like my stomach was getting bigger, and sticking out more. At first I chalked it up to your body just not being the same after having a baby, and also that I just needed to get into the gym (I havent worked out since before I was pregnant). I did feel a very small lump above my belly button, not really noticeable but I could feel it under my skin. And, in hindsight, my belly button had popped into a big outie while I was pregnant and didn't pop back in, which i thought it would have.

A few more months go by and when I looked at my stomach in the mirror it just didn't seem right. At times I could see the little lump if I pushed my stomach out, and when I sucked it in the skin above my belly button seemed to sag a bit. So I finally got it checked out and was told I had a large umbilical hernia, and also Diastasis Recti.

I just had surgery two weeks ago to repair the hernia and after having an unplanned c-section in march it's like being there all over again. :(
And the worst part is I can't care for my LO for six weeks because I can't lift or move anything over 10 pounds. We were also planning on TTC in March but now that has to be postponed due to the hernia surgery. So double bummed. But, I'm thankful that It has been fixed, it's frightening to think of what could have happened if I didn't get checked out (especially since I was planning on hitting the gym hard to get back in shape!)

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to share in case this may help anyone else. If something about your body seems a little unusual, no matter how small, at least have it looked at. Better to be safe than sorry! And I also wanted to ask if anyone on the board has had this surgery and can offer any advice or tips on recovery and getting back to normal, and if you had another baby afterwards did everything go okay.

Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Diagnosed Hernia 9 Months PP (Vent / PSA) (Long)

• Options
    mal922 said:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I also had a c section and can't imagine going through a similar surgery again to repair a hernia. I hope someone who has been there is able to offer you encouragement and advice.

Thanks so much for the kind words, I appreciate it!

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this either but I hope you have a quick and easy recovery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Was it you that posted about the floppy belly button a few weeks ago? This worries me a little - mine isn't the same and I've deeply looked into the diastasis recti, trying not to self-diagnose. It's good that you got it checked out and are correcting before it got worse.

So sorry you're in pain :( Speedy recovery!
  • Options
    lars1226 said:

I don't have any experience with this either but I hope you have a quick and easy recovery!

Thanks so much!

• Options
    kk1160 said:

Was it you that posted about the floppy belly button a few weeks ago? This worries me a little - mine isn't the same and I've deeply looked into the diastasis recti, trying not to self-diagnose. It's good that you got it checked out and are correcting before it got worse.

Hmmm... Nope that wasn't me. Thanks for the well wishes and I would say definitely get yours looked at. Your PCP can do a quick and painless exam, they just ask you a few questions and push/poke you a bit with their hands. They should be able to tell you right then and there if it looks like a hernia. If so they will refer you to a surgeon. I dreaded going but the bottom line is it will get worse since we are picking up our LOs all day. And they are only getting heavier! Also, you wouldn't want to get pregnant again with a hernia, that would be terrible.

Regarding the diastasis recti, if you do have that don't worry, it's a cosmetic issue. In fact, the surgeon told me they wouldnt fix it until after I was done having children. There are also exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles and bring them closer together.

Hope you get good news!

• Options
    omg I'm so sorry you went through this, especially after an unplanned c section. thankfully you got it checked out before the situation got worse, which could have postponed your ttc plans even more. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    kk1160 said:

It was me that posted about my sad belly button. OP I am sorry you are going through this and I hope you have a quick recovery. I am for sure getting mine looked at now.
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    egb+jaf said:

omg I'm so sorry you went through this, especially after an unplanned c section. thankfully you got it checked out before the situation got worse, which could have postponed your ttc plans even more. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks!

• Options
    jamu - thanks. Yep, please make sure you are ok! I hope that all is well for you and it's just from being stretched during pregnancy.

• Options
    rm2013 said:

jamu - thanks. Yep, please make sure you are ok! I hope that all is well for you and it's just from being stretched during pregnancy.

Thank you!

Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"