Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Using ikea dresser as changing table?

I've seen this in several pics online and I like the look of it. How do these changing pads not slip and slide everywhere without the guard rails that regular changing table have, though?? Especially once the baby is wiggling and moving around?
Is there a trick to it that I'm unaware of?
Anyone have experience with this?

Re: Using ikea dresser as changing table?

• Options
    We put a piece of shelf liner under the pad, never had an issue with the pad moving. The child on the other hand...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a changing pad on top of a dresser and it moves sometimes but not enough for it to be a big deal. We didn't do anything special, just plopped it right on top.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With the weight of the baby on top of the pad, it really doesn't matter, the weight helps to stabilize the pad. You're not ever supposed to walk away from your kid on a changing table anyway.
  • Options
    We are going to do this (hemnes dresser). I think that some (all?) changing pads have a strap to attach the pad to the dresser. Otherwise i was considering using shelf liner like someone else mentioned. I haven't done much research on that yet though.

Otherwise I saw at pottery barn they have a topper tray type thing that sits on the dresser and holds the pad. A friend of ours has this, but I feel like it's $100...maybe there's a cheaper one out there somewhere.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We even use an Expedit as a changing table!

FWIW- I take the safety straps from the changing pad and just wrap them the opposite way and under my Expedit. We never use the straps on baby because we feel it's false security. One hand on the babe at all times.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    My father built a rectangle (out of moulding, I think) that fit around the changing pad and used piano hinges to attach it to the back of the dresser.  It doesn't move at all.  If we want to clean under the pad or change the pad cover the piano hinges allow for it to raise up easily. HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We have a pad on a table my DH's great-grandfather made and one on our laundry room counter top. They may slide an inch or so, but in 18 mos it hasn't been a problem. Nothing under them.
  • Options
    slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited January 2014
    We have the ikea hemnes and have always put a changing pad on top. I do put a piece of foam shelf liner under it to keep it from sliding around but honestly, it's not even necessary. You always have one hand on the baby when changing anyway and you never leave them unattended for even a second so really, there is no risk here. When baby gets super wiggly, we just start changing diapers on the floor.

• Options
    I plan on doing this too - I really like the look of the Hemnes dresser, especially in blue! I saw some changing pads come with straps that you can use to tie to the dresser. 
  • Options
    I plan on doing this too - I really like the look of the Hemnes dresser, especially in blue! I saw some changing pads come with straps that you can use to tie to the dresser. 
    We have this one - in blue - and love it. We had a piece of leftover rg pad that we put under it and it works great.
  • Options
    we have the Hemnes 8 drawer and a summer infant contoured changing pad on top. We have hardwoods in the nursery. I took a piece of the carpet mat we put under the rug (the rubbery thin mats) and put it under the changing pad. It prevents it from skidding
  • Options
    My brother in law does this with an Ikea dresser, too. Baby is 20 months old and it's still working!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My changing pad came with a nylon strap and a screw meant to be anchored to the wall behind the changing surface. Slides a little but prevents it from being dangerous.

• Options
    We are going to do this (hemnes dresser). 
    we just bought and put it together the other day! we got the white one. the height is a little high for me but for DH it's good.  my SIL tells me i'll end up changing the baby on the floor most of the time anyway. 

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Options
    You will be leaning against the dresser to change the baby, so your body will keep the pad from moving. As a backup, like PP said, use a non skid carpet pad.
  • Options
    Dd is 2 and we use ours everyday. I put command Velcro strips on ours. I think there are 4 or 5 total. They hol it in place and come right off when the time comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"