March 2013 Moms
Options

Flying with a 4yr old and 9month old!

We are flyin from Ohio to Orlando next week! Not a long flight but our first with both boys. Tips? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: Flying with a 4yr old and 9month old!

• Options
    I haven't travelled with a little one, but I did manage a successful trip with a 2 & 3 year old. My husband was with me, but due to seating arrangements and my kids' strong mommy attachment, the flight itself was entirely on me. DH was just the work mule to lug the carseats around the terminal for me. ;-)

We bought little backpacks and filled it with new little toys. Dollar store toys, a coloring book, crayons, their favorite blanket, etc. I also made sure they went to the bathroom before boarding to avoid any need to use the airplane bathroom. Anyway, the backpack of goodies kept them content through the wait and the 3.5 hour flight. We did splurge a little and get them brand new baby dolls as a not-dollar-store surprise, which took most of their attention.

Also, snacks. Don't' depend on the airline's snacks, though in my experience they'll give you extra for your kids if you ask (it's in their best interest to help keep your kids content, after all). But they won't start handing them out right away, so if you have something on hand...

But, if you can keep your older son content, that gives you more attention for your youngest, where it will be most useful for the trip. I bet some snacks and a few new toys would help him too. My son LOVES books. He can be entertained by turning the pages and the new pictures for 20 minutes just with one book.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We flew with DD when she was seven months. Ditto to what a pp said about the snacks. Bring your own! Don't forget to maybe buy bottled water in the terminal too (if you need to prep a bottle before the drink cart comes down the aisle). My MIL also wrapped a few simple toys in tissue paper which we let LO unwrap every could hours. The tissue kept her happy because it was crunchy and tactile, and then the toys occupied her as well. Mostly, the white noise lulled her to sleep (yay!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"