Special Needs

Counseling...for you

So, this summer when Autism was first mentioned to me I went to a couple counseling sessions. To put it mildly, I didnt do well hearing the news. I mightve kept going but we moved.

I am thinking I need to find a counselor here. His f/u eval, and likely dx, are next week. On top of that: I am pg, my dh is deployed and we have no family nearby. Oh and as icing on the cake, ds is sick this week. Ive felt a lot of anxiety and frustration, particularly as related to DS. Worries about his future, if Im doing the right things to help him and enough of him. Frustrations in both day-to-day life and with him not seeming to progress. You get the idea...

Just curious how many of us here go to counseling...or at the very least went in the early days of the dx.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~

Re: Counseling...for you

• d.fd.f member
    I wish I went earlier. I started going in Oct. It's been very helpful in managing anxiety and stress.

DS 09/2008

[Deleted User]Assembly_Reqd
  • In December I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. When my ds2 started missing milestone in December it really pushed me over the edge. All I could do was worry about my boys. I went to my OB and he put me on a medication that is an antidepressant and an anti anxiety medication. That has really helped my anxiety a lot. I also have started seeing a therapist weekly. I have come to realize I really haven't been mentally healthy and I need to be for myself but also to be a better mom for my kids. Getting an autism diagnosis is very overwhelming so if you feel like talking to a therapist would help you should definitely look in to it! I would also tell your OB about how you are feeling since you are pregnant.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I started going when we began the process of getting DD diagnosed (current diagnosis is SPD and ADHD).  It's really helped with the frustration and uncertainty that has gone along with this process, and DD has a lot of anxiety-driven behaviors that I needed to talk to someone about.  I was going weekly, but now I just have a "check-in" once a month.  If I start feeling stressed out, I schedule a few more sessions.  I think it's really important to take care of yourself.
  • I started antidepressants a year ago and therapy in October. I should have started the therapy sooner.
  • Depression is something I have struggled with since my father passed away 22 years ago. I have been on some form of meds since then. My mother has depression (hospitalized for shock therapy when I was in 4th grade) and so did my father. He self-medicated with alcohol and cigarettes. Hence, why has been dead now for more than half my life. He has missed so, so much.

I have always been ok with a moderate dose of meds and no therapy. My sister died 7 years ago and we had Nate. I am now adding therapy to the mix, because I can't medicate my problems away anymore. They are getting bigger than I can handle with my own inner pep talks. I need a 'listener' who can also teach me some coping skills.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

thefuturemrskudla
  • I have also struggled with depression most of my life, and have been on meds on and off for years. I've learned I need to be "on." And, I am looking for counselor, too.
  • I didn't mean to P&R.  Been a crazy week or so. DS has had a nasty cold...and guess who has it now???  Thankfully he's on the upswing, but I feel awful and can't take anything that could actually help for meds (pregnant).  This, too, shall pass...right?

I had an OB appt on Thursday and asked for a referral then.  I hope to call tomorrow (if my voice is back).  I won't be able to do meds until at least May (not sure if there are ones that are safe during bf'ing...if not, then make it May 2015), but I think just having someone to sort all this out with and someone to say it's normal to feel this way would really help.  

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• d.fd.f member
    I haven't taken meds. At this point they haven't been suggested. Talk therapy has helped immensely, just being able to free talk about it all and hear helpful suggestions is great for me.

DS 09/2008

• I didn't mean to P&R.  Been a crazy week or so. DS has had a nasty cold...and guess who has it now???  Thankfully he's on the upswing, but I feel awful and can't take anything that could actually help for meds (pregnant).  This, too, shall pass...right?

I had an OB appt on Thursday and asked for a referral then.  I hope to call tomorrow (if my voice is back).  I won't be able to do meds until at least May (not sure if there are ones that are safe during bf'ing...if not, then make it May 2015), but I think just having someone to sort all this out with and someone to say it's normal to feel this way would really help.  
    There are lots of meds you can take while breast feeding. I am on a pretty strong medication and I am breast feeding DS2. My OB told me what to watch out for in terms of side effects for the baby and he hasn't had any of them.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"