March 2013 Moms
Options

Hello :) and... question about first pp period?

Hi! My name is Kelsey.

I have never been on this board, but my DS was born on March 08, 2013. He is first lo. I exclusively breastfed him until about 7 1/2 months and now at 10 months he eats solids twice a day and breastfeeds in between and on demand, at night he also gets thirsty I think and so I nurse him once or twice for a few minutes. Four days ago I started to spot light brown, and it turned to dark brown with a hint of red every once in awhile. I didn't have to change a pad for a whole day. It is completely gone today. I am wondering if I should consider this my first pp period? Or is it just spotting? I have not spotted AT ALL, no signs of aunt flow what soever until now and we haven't changed anything in our breastfeeding schedule. I know experiences can vary, and so I am just wondering if any of you ladies have had a similar experience or knowledge? TIA! 

Re: Hello :) and... question about first pp period?

• Options
    Hi Kelsey, my daughter was born the same day as your son. We also breastfeeding. She's eating three meals now but still nurses about six times during the day and several more at night. I have yet to have my first period so I can't help you out, but I am curious to see the responses. I'm wondering how the first one will go.
  • Options
    It could be but really I'm no help either. I'm still bf and waiting for mine to return as well. I've heard from some that it was not bad and others have said it was much heavier & more painful than usual but that it returned to normal the next time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can vary so much. Mine usually come back normal but longer the first few times, but I have had friends who have had a day or two of light bleeding/spotting and that WAS their period returning. A lighter first period is extremely common, often because the cycle before was annovulatory, as in they didn't ovulate.

It could be awhile before your next one shows up, since longer cycles (2 months +) are not uncommon if you're still breastfeeding, so if another doesn't show up 4 weeks from now, don't write it off. Best to use protection and be prepared.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SidraJediSidraJedi member
    edited January 2014
    DD and I are doing the same thing food-wise as you and your DS, OP. I still haven't had my PP AF but I have started charting using fertilityfriend and if what happened to you happened to me, I would count it as AF.

As far as I can tell, cycles are going to be wonky as long as you are BF meaning that they can be all Over the place spacing/timing wise, just because you see AF doesn't mean that you ovulated, etc.

ETA serious typos
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also exclusively BF my DS until he started solids.  He eats 3 meals a day and BFs 5 times during the day and 1-2 times at night.  I had my first period about 2 months ago.  It was lighter than I remember them being but it lasted a full 7 days (mine used to be 4-5 days long).  I think what you described was your first period PP.  As in earlier posts do not be alarmed if they don't run the normal 28-32 day cycle.  Mine was 40 days and who knows how long the next cycle will be.  My periods used to be very painful, but the 2 I've had so far have had minimal cramps.  I would be so excited if I was one of the people who has less painful periods moving forward. 

;

• Options
    Sounds like what they call an anovulatory cycle - meaning you haven't ovulated, but your uterus lining was getting thick, so it's your body's way of cleaning house.
    So not a period, per se.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"