December 2013 Moms
Options

Formula mommies (again)

When did you increase from 2oz to 4 oz? Or did you go up to 3 oz and just do a scoop and a half of formula? Jude is 3 weeks and I think he's about ready to increase formula...but I'm not sure if I should just feed him more frequently at first? I feed him when he's hungry about every 2 hours.

Re: Formula mommies (again)

• Options
    Sometimes Trev has 3oz, sometimes 4oz. He's 3 weeks tomorrow. He started wanting more about a week ago, so we bumped to 3oz. Our pedi just said feed him until he's full. Trevor very clearly roots when he's still hungry, so we just feed until he stops. I usually measure a scoop and a half to start with 3oz, and then give him another half scoop if he wants it. HTH!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP #1 - 07-15-12; Natural MC 07-18-12
    BFP #2 - 09-29-12; U/S showed baby stopped growing @ 5wks 4days - 10-30-12; D&C - 10-31-12
    BFP #3 - 04-10-13; Third time is a charm... Stick, baby, stick!!!
  • Options
    I ff dd1 & what I did was this: when she started consistently finishing her bottles I added another 2 ounces. I didn't do half a scoop because I felt like I couldn't measure accurately. Then she could eat the extra or not.

Eventually I bought this Dr Browns formula mixing pitcher which made my life so much easier because I didn't have to worry about lumps of powder. I bought a bottle warmer & just made about 18-24 hours worth of forumula at once & left it in the fridge & heated up as needed.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ariella will be 3 weeks tomorrow and we've been doing 3 oz for almost a week. Usually she finishes, but sometimes she doesn't. If she starts acting hungry after a feeding I'll increase it again :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sam is 4 weeks old, and has been at 4oz for the past 10 days or so. Prior to that he was at 3oz. We did 1 full scoop, and tried to guesstimate 1/2 scoop. We just increased his formula/pumped amount vs. increasing how often he was feeding. Personally, if you are feeding every 2 hours already and he is eating and still acting hungry before the next 2 hours, I'd increase his amount vs feeding. 1. It would drive me insane to feed every hour everyday. 2. He would need sometime for digestion and rest.

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pink flamingopink flamingo member
    edited January 2014
    I just feed my LO when she is hungry and I don't stop until she is satisfied . Right now she is 51/2 weeks and consistently eats 4oz but sometimes eats 3 and occasionally eats 5 oz but I always make a 4 oz bottle at this point. If she is hungry after the 4 oz I do the half scoop and give her one more oz.
  • Options

I ff dd1 & what I did was this: when she started consistently finishing her bottles I added another 2 ounces. I didn't do half a scoop because I felt like I couldn't measure accurately. Then she could eat the extra or not.

Eventually I bought this Dr Browns formula mixing pitcher which made my life so much easier because I didn't have to worry about lumps of powder. I bought a bottle warmer & just made about 18-24 hours worth of forumula at once & left it in the fridge & heated up as needed.

This is what we do also.
  • Options
    I use a lot of the ready to feed, that ensures that I don't mess up on that half a scoop. She is six weeks and eating 3 oz every 2 hours or so.
  • Options
    Holland is 3 wks + 5days old and she's up to 4 ozs of Enafamil Newborn Formula, she made the switch from 2 oz to 4 oz at around 10days old, there are times though were she doesn't finish the bottle, no big deal there, they'll let you know how much is enough (or too much if it starts coming back out!)
  • Options
    CandiP523 said:
    I ff dd1 & what I did was this: when she started consistently finishing her bottles I added another 2 ounces. I didn't do half a scoop because I felt like I couldn't measure accurately. Then she could eat the extra or not. Eventually I bought this Dr Browns formula mixing pitcher which made my life so much easier because I didn't have to worry about lumps of powder. I bought a bottle warmer & just made about 18-24 hours worth of forumula at once & left it in the fridge & heated up as needed.
    This is what we do also.
    Yeah, there is no way to really measure a half scoop...it never looks right to me. I have the pitcher and plan on using it when I'm done nursing him all together. I still pump and nurse some, so right now we don't use that much formula.
  • Options
    For a 3 oz bottle I make a 6 oz bottle then pour 3 oz in a new bottle and put in the fridge for the next feeding.
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    When I switched to all formula with DS1 we used the Dr. Brown's formula pitcher. Before that I would measure out half scoops of formula. Even if not perfectly accurate the measurement would not be that far off.
  • Options
    I've been offering 4 oz for about half a week. He's just past three weeks. Most of the time he eats just over three ounces,

• Options
    LO is 5 weeks old today, and I have been making 4 oz bottles for the past few days. Sometimes she eats it all, but a lot of time she only takes 3ish oz. I didn't want to guess on the half scoop.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Wait, I thought the formula was only good for an hour no matter how you store it??

Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited January 2014
    NYMama1 said:

When I switched to all formula with DS1 we used the Dr. Brown's formula pitcher. Before that I would measure out half scoops of formula. Even if not perfectly accurate the measurement would not be that far off.

This. The Dr Browns pitcher is the best thing ever. You're allowed to make a lot of formula at once too. When it sits in the fridge it settles the bubbles that cause gas. You can have it in the fridge up to 24 hours. So I make 5 bottles at once. So at night, I'm all sleepy, I grab a bottle out the fridge, put it in the warmer and change LO then the bottle is warm and I feed him.

My LO takes 3.5 oz

• Options

I meant to quote this. This is what I do.

• Options
    Wait, I thought the formula was only good for an hour no matter how you store it??
    @tyedyeme12 , if it's in the fridge and hasn't been fed to baby yet, it is good for 24 hours. I usually made enough for about 18, just because if she wasn't as hungry I didn't want to waste it. Formula is expensive!
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    We do 3 oz and use a scoop and a half.  The half isn't as precise as ideal but you can eyeball it and get pretty close to half a scoop.  I need to look into this pitcher apparently...
    imageimage

• Options
    hfitz said:

We do 3 oz and use a scoop and a half.  The half isn't as precise as ideal but you can eyeball it and get pretty close to half a scoop.  I need to look into this pitcher apparently...

Same here!

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• Options
    Ok now I'm freaking out. LO is 5 weeks today and she only eats 2-3oz at a time and she feeds every 3-4 hours
  • Options
    Nkhead said:

Ok now I'm freaking out. LO is 5 weeks today and she only eats 2-3oz at a time and she feeds every 3-4 hours

Me too. Someone posted a ff chart on here a few days ago that said baby should be eating 2-3 ounces per pound they weigh per day. You're probably in the range.

image image

• Options
    Where is that chart @lisab613 I was looking for it earlier!
  • Options
    Mobile so I can't link but it's on oage 8 called how many oz is your lo eating

image image

• Options
    No problem! That chart is super handy, I need to bookmark it.

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"