Baby Names
Options

Requesting all Southern Belle names please :)

I love "southern belle" names- I'd love to see if you have some that I've missed!

Re: Requesting all Southern Belle names please :)

• Options
    I'm a bit partial to Scarlett myself, as that's DD's name. I'm drawing a blank on more though...Annabelle? Anything ending in -lynn?
  • Options
    Adelaide is the only one I can think of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Daisy, Charlotte, Scarlett, Georgia, Savannah

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    Shelby, M'Lynn, or Clairee in an ode to the Southern Belles of Steel Magnolias.
    <Pregnancy Ticker>
  • Options
    Savannah Rae
    Shelby Kate
    Annabelle
    Scarlett Mae
    Jolene
    Ellie Mae
    Loretta
    Dixie

Double first names with the second name being Lynn, Mae, Rae, or Kate
  • Options
    Scarlett, Melanie, Annabelle, Adelaide, Carolina, Savannah, Georgia, Delta
  • Options
    I've known several moms who've used Georgia Mae recently and I love it! It's too southern for me but very cute!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Double names- Betty Linda, Virginia Rae, Mary Kate, and Carrie Beth all come to mind.

Just about all flower names feel southern to me- Violet, Rose, And Daisy especially.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    diamondduck13diamondduck13 member
    edited January 2014
    A southener chiming in...

I think of "southern belle" as a bit more sophisticated than the -lynn ending or the double name with Mae. Scarlett is the quintessential example, of ourse

Georgia isn't used much cause for us that's, well, a state!

And I thought it was fascinating the how to name a baby article said that while in the 50s Charlotte was a popular name in southern red states, these days it's very much a blue state name

Besides, for us Charlotte and Savannah are well, cities

Susannah and Annabelle fit, I think.
  • Options
    Betsy, anything connected with Kate, Louisa, nicknames like Tilly, Tibby, Birdie, Sue Sue, Lulu
  • Options
    diamondduck13diamondduck13 member
    edited January 2014
    bcnoelle said:

Betsy, anything connected with Kate, Louisa, nicknames like Tilly, Tibby, Birdie, Sue Sue, Lulu

This is a good list, I actually know some women who fall into my idea of a "southern belle" with these names or similar to them

ETA clarity
  • Options
    Elizabeth (nn Betsy, Eliza)
    Susannah
    Clara, Claire
    Margaret (nn Maggie)
    Mary
    Sarah (nn Sadie)
    Anna
    Rose

C+C born June 2011

Surprise! H born Novemeber 2012

Baby #4 due September 2014

• Options
    Another Southerner with her two cents!

Long, classic FN like Elizabeth, Henrietta, Patricia, Catherine, Susanna, Marianne or French names like Melanie, Sheryl, Clairice, Gemma paired with family and/or unisex MN such as Lee/Leigh or Lynn/Lynne or maiden names as
    MN are the epitome of Southern naming rules where I come from (Tennessee).

But if you just want a southern sounding name or a name that honors the south then names like Tallulah, Loretta and Savanna are the way to
    go! To be fair some of the real southern names and the stereotyped Southern names overlap ie Loretta and Melanie are both French and stereotypical.
  • Options
    Caroline, Vivian, are some of my top choices.
  • Options
    SidraJedi said:

Another Southerner with her two cents!

Long, classic FN like Elizabeth, Henrietta, Patricia, Catherine, Susanna, Marianne or French names like Melanie, Sheryl, Clairice, Gemma paired with family and/or unisex MN such as Lee/Leigh or Lynn/Lynne or maiden names as
    MN are the epitome of Southern naming rules where I come from (Tennessee).

But if you just want a southern sounding name or a name that honors the south then names like Tallulah, Loretta and Savanna are the way to
    go! To be fair some of the real southern names and the stereotyped Southern names overlap ie Loretta and Melanie are both French and stereotypical.

This is so true. One of the most sophisticatedly southern women I know is Elizabeth. No NN, Elizabeth. As I think more on it the "southern belles" I know have either cute funny NNs (like Tillie), classic full names (like Elizabeth) or double names with the second name being a family surname or a classic name like Jane (per my above post, not the more country sounding second name of something like Mae)
  • Options
    I gave my DD two family names, Lily Faye, and I hear on the regular that it's very Southern.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Not exactly sure what you're looking for.  We're from Georgia.  My kids are all named after someone.

Ella Rae Aubrie

Jackson Harold

Lillia Josephine

Pregnant with the 4th right now.  Middle name will be Lee after my grandfather regardless of sex.  Don't have a girls first name yet, but a boy would be Crawford which is my husband's grandmother's maiden name.

Goodluck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    What about Savannah? That's sorta southern in my book.
  • Options
    Estelle.
  • Options
    I'm going to agree with PP that there's a big difference between Southern Belle and country southern. Country is more -lynn, double first names using Rae/Ray or Mae. Country names also tend to be a bit more trendy. Southern Belle, to me (from MS) is more really traditional, sometimes using mom's last name as a middle, I see that a lot. Lots of Elizabeths and Catherines. Maybe Evangeline closer to Louisiana. Priscilla, Eleanor, Lucinda, Caroline, Margaret, Patricia, Vivian(ne). Maybe something like Melanie. I have met several Junior League Mary Catherines, or other Mary-double names. June, Faye, Rose and Grace for middle names. Something a bit refined, not bumpkin-y.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Magnolia, Savannah, Katherine, Elizabeth, Betty, Eleanor, Georgia, Belle, Caroline/Carolina, Charlotte, Clementine, Josephine, Lydia, Daisy, Cordelia, Alice, Emma, Virginia, Sarah, Anne/Anna, Willa, Della, Augusta, Clara, Claire, Rose, Annabelle, Bonnie, Susannah, Sadie, Dolly, June, Scarlett, Evangeline, Violet, Estelle, Rosemary, Jocelyn, Joycelyn, Carolyn, Dana, Connie, Mary, Susie, Belinda.
  • Options
    shutaffshutaff member
    edited January 2014
    We're from the South and our girl name is Charlotte Catherine, nicknames Charli and CC. Our boy name is William Rhett... the fifth! My husband is the fourth :) To me, these are the epitome of Southern.

Edit (to add a few more): I also like Caroline, Savannah, Susannah, Amelia, and Adelaide, and the middle name Grace.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to agree with PP that there's a big difference between Southern Belle and country southern. Country is more -lynn, double first names using Rae/Ray or Mae. Country names also tend to be a bit more trendy. Southern Belle, to me (from MS) is more really traditional, sometimes using mom's last name as a middle, I see that a lot. Lots of Elizabeths and Catherines. Maybe Evangeline closer to Louisiana. Priscilla, Eleanor, Lucinda, Caroline, Margaret, Patricia, Vivian(ne). Maybe something like Melanie. I have met several Junior League Mary Catherines, or other Mary-double names. June, Faye, Rose and Grace for middle names. Something a bit refined, not bumpkin-y.
    This. I'm in NC.

Southern sophisticates love nicknames for formal, usually family, names.

Dixie, Rae, Daisy and Savannah are not "Southern Belle" names to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"