2nd Trimester

Anatomy Scan Errors? Nervous....

So my OB clinic does 2 anatomy scans (not elective - just SOP). Patients have an initial anatomy scan at 16 weeks and a complete anatomy scan at 20 weeks. My initial anatomy scan was exactly 2 weeks ago, and I wasn't expecting to find out the sex, but they told us it was a girl! We were so excited and it was just in time for the holidays, so we announced to our families on Christmas. 

I was just on another forum and there was a thread where someone said she was told girl, and then a week later found out it was a boy! Then like 3 more people chimed in and said that the same thing happened to them, where they got the sex wrong! It sounded like in most of the cases where it was wrong, the person went to one of those paid elective ultrasound places where they aren't as trained, but still, now I'm nervous!  Has anyone had this happen to them? Or know of anyone this happened to?

I'd be thrilled either way, but would feel like a dummy un-telling people about having a girl.....and returning the girl stuff I already bought. ;)

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
 Mini IVF! **

Re: Anatomy Scan Errors? Nervous....

• no experience, just I am in the same boat. Found out at 16w 4d 95% girl, but now I am a little nervous too, especially because I don't know if I will have another ultra sound. 

**Ready for Baby!**
  • I was told at 18 weeks exactly we're having a girl and I still wonder. We also announced Christmas. I just figure if it turns out to be wrong I'll send pics of the profile shot wearing a little tie (we gave framed profile shots with little pink bows on the head) so they can change picture. Lol! When I talked to my docs nurse she said "that still happens!?" Apparently it's pretty rare now but more common when they (the techs) guess too early.
  • Loading the player...
  • You could ask people to buy you gender neutral things until you know for sure, just in case.
  • I know of two people that have had this happen.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• For people that found out early, was it folks that went to one of those paid places for an early ultrasound? I don't know why this is making me nervous. I literally have 0 preference as to what this baby is. I guess it is what it is, and I'll get confirmation again in a couple of weeks. :)

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• I was told girl @ 13w4d me confirmed at my a/s... Those are just other peoples stories

It's a BOY

• You only hear about the wrong ones! I have had two girls predicted by doctors at 13-14 weeks, then confirmed at anatomy scans!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This happened to us too! We had our 15 week appointment and were told girl (at our regular doctor - not an elective one) and even though we KNEW we shouldn't, we told our families and bought a couple of girl things. I even made one of those skeleton Halloween costumes and put a tiny pink bow on it.
    At our 20 week anatomy scan, they said boy. And we saw that it was definitely a boy! It was a little weird to tell everyone, but it's funny to laugh about now. My advice to you though? Don't name her yet! We had a name and were calling 'her' that and when we found out it was a boy, we were very excited, but it was a little sad to 'lose' our girl.
    Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • my 16w 4 appt was with my regular dr. with an ultra sound tech.

**Ready for Baby!**
  • Do you have a photo of the parts? I think errors are more common when it's based on angle of the dangle. My last ultrasound was at 15w5d and one of the babies clearly had the three white lines meaning girl, same as my DD had.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • @LegalLadyBug, I don't! I saw on the screen that there was definitely not a penis,but I couldn't see the three lines either. There was the ultrasound tech in the room, as well as the guy who was the expert with the machine, so I am hoping that two experts with eyes on it wouldn't lead me astray, but I guess time will tell.  We're still going to have a boy name picked out as a back-up. :)

Mini IVF! **

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"