March 2014 Moms
Options

How many kicks to count?

FTM so forgive me if this sounds dumb but I'm 28 weeks now and am between OB appts so I can't ask her. How many kicks should I be feeling? Should I count per hour or per day? LO hasn't been moving as much as usual the past few days but I get big kicks from her after meals usually or after I eat some sugar. And then sometimes I'll get little movements during the day or sometimes I won't feel her for several hours. My friend just lost her baby at 32 weeks from UC strangulation so I think that's making me more nervous. I just dunno if this is normal or if or when I should be concerned. Any advice would be helpful, thanks ladies.

Re: How many kicks to count?

• Options
    The instructions my ob gave were after dinner count 10 kicks and if you don't get to 10 within 2 hours then call
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is to pick a time and count 10 in 2 hours. Anything counts, but if baby has hiccups that only counts as one movement. I only do it when baby gets really quiet on me, but I have a pretty active little one in there so I really look out for a change in normal movement. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never count them but, take comfort in the fact that I feel her multiple times every day / night.
    image image image Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Mayo Clinic Guide book says baby should move at least 4 times per hour, so to count 10 movements in 2 hours, if you are less than that to call

IAmPregnant Ticker image VOTE on my Name List
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
    March Siggy Theme
  • Options
    I havnt gotten any kick count instructions and I'll be 31 weeks tomorrow. My Ob office may skip this for twins though.
    I will say, the babies are LOVIN this mimosa I'm drinking so maybe try that?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My doc's instructions were a little different from most (from what I have read on this board) but matched with my Mayo Clinic book. She said that she is looking for 4 movements per hour but unless I feel the first 4 kicks in the first 15 minutes I am supposed to have a snack and rest somewhere quiet and look for 8 movements total over two hours.

I find it really does help to lie down and put my hands on my belly. I am much more aware of her movement like that, although that is really impractical if I am at work. All right 4th graders, Miss Liz is going to lie down on the floor for the next hour and a half...I don't think so! I am supposed to do this twice a day but it really only happens at night.

Even now when she is moving daily it is so hard not to worry. I am always so glad for this board and hearing other people's experiences!
  • Options
    This is from my MFM.
  • Options
    My midwife pretty much said that I knew my baby best, that he'd have quiet days and busy days, to trust my instincts, and if I became worried to call her no matter what the count was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm only supposed to do them if I don't feel movement regularly during the day. Mt MW only wants 8 in two hours.
    That being said this LO is a dancing fiend so I don't have to do it that often. Sorry for your friends loss - that would have me paranoid too.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm only 27 weeks & was wondering the same thing! Little lady is generally pretty active most if day, when she's not I tend to sit down & poke my belly lol! Normally gets a reaction!
  • Options
    My doc said 10 kicks in 2 hours... Then I'm good for 24 hrs. I told him, I can get 10 kicks sometimes in less than 10 min- he said most of the time I won't need the 2hr time limit!
  • Options
    I've seen midwives for all of my pregnancies and have never been asked to do a kick count.  I just like to feel movement several times throughout the day.  If I'm busy and walking around, that either puts the baby to sleep or I'm so active I don't feel it.  When I sit down and put my feet up that's usually when the party starts :)
    imageimage 
  • Options
    I've never heard of this counting kicks thing. I'm getting kind of nervous, some days I don't notice any movement at all.
  • Options
    I always heard the 10 kicks in 2 hours, bus after I ended up in L&D my paperwork said 4 every hour.
  • Options
    My goal from my midwife is 10 in an hour. If I get anything less than 6, call. I'm doing them daily.

Congrats to my TTC buddy Madeline! Cheering for all the strong 3T ladies! 

TTC since March 2012; DX: PCOS 4/2013 
    BFP 7/6/2013; EDD 3/7/2014 
    Diagnosed with Pre-E: 2/15/201
    Emergency induction: 2/16/2014
    Baby E born: 2/16/2014 at 12:56pm. 5lb 15oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"