March 2014 Moms
Options

s/o pacifiers

STM: what did you end up liking? FTM: what are you choosing?

Congrats to my TTC buddy Madeline! Cheering for all the strong 3T ladies! 

TTC since March 2012; DX: PCOS 4/2013 
BFP 7/6/2013; EDD 3/7/2014 
Diagnosed with Pre-E: 2/15/201
Emergency induction: 2/16/2014
Baby E born: 2/16/2014 at 12:56pm. 5lb 15oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o pacifiers

• Options
    We have Avent on there, and were gifted 2 new Nuks.  We'll see what she ends up liking.

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.

Anniversary 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD didn't take anything except Soothies. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Smoothies from week 2 until about 2 months. Then she used Avent until a year.

imageimage

• Options
    We have a couple different kinds that we've been gifted - Nuks and I think Avent. We're really just going to play it by ear and see what she prefers.

• Options
  • Options
    We used the Avent
    DS #1 - 2/2/2000  DS #2 - 9/29/2006   DD #1 - 3/8/2014

March Sig Challenge
  • Options
    Nuks are what my kiddo loved and unfortunately still does!
    He HATED the "natural nipple shape" ones and would just spit them out. ( don't remember the brand sorry!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    FTM - have both Avent and WubbaNub on the registry. Going with Avent bottles for now, but we will see what LO likes.  The WubbaNub friends say they are great because they rest on the baby / harder to lose then baby can also grab / hold them.
    March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have bought playtex "binkey" brand because I bought playtex nurser bottles and the nipples look similar.
    I hope he takes them.
  • Options
    So if I think I have preference, or have been given a certain brand, I should just bring my own?

Congrats to my TTC buddy Madeline! Cheering for all the strong 3T ladies! 

TTC since March 2012; DX: PCOS 4/2013 
    BFP 7/6/2013; EDD 3/7/2014 
    Diagnosed with Pre-E: 2/15/201
    Emergency induction: 2/16/2014
    Baby E born: 2/16/2014 at 12:56pm. 5lb 15oz

• Options
    I started with Soothies but she was never interested. We hit a point where she was using me as her paci and I went to the store and got one of each brand. She liked the MAM and eventually we switched to the Avent that is the same shape (it has a handle that was easier for her to learn to put back in her mouth).
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    SmittyPantsSmittyPants member
    edited December 2013
    Wubbanubs

We have the duck, she calls it "Nigh Nigh" and the frog, which is Froggy. 
    If you go his route and your baby makes these his/her lovies-
     buy three of the one he/she likes. 
    Trust me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nuk 4 lyfe.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We got soothies in the hospital and that's what he stuck with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Soothies!!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    We like Mams because there's no upside down issue... When she was learning to put it in herself, the other kind we used (Nuk maybe?) definitely had a right-side-up (if that makes sense), and it was annoying when we would have to go into her room at night just to flip it for her. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We have a few types for LO to try- Tommee Tippie that came with the bottles, Playtex Orthropedic that were on clearance and a Nuk I got for registering at BRU. We'll see which one, if any, he likes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Berry30 said:

DD didn't take anything except Soothies. 

Same with my DS. This is what he was given at the hospital and he refused to take any others. We brought various kinds before he was born but they all went to waste. This time around I'm not even going to buy any others besides the Soothies. If she doesn't like them, then I'll go from there.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Ftm and we bought soothies. My husband is a second time dad and swears by them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Soothies, that's what she was given in the hospital so we stuck with it.
  • Options
    I looooove WubbaNubs!!
    Not only bc they're super cute but if weaning is ever an issue, you can cut the pacifier part off and baby still has the animal part. Worked like a charm for my nephew!!
  • Options
    We only ever had the one that we got at the hospital. My kids were thumb suckers though, so pacifiers were never their thing (and we never had to worry about anything dropping or getting lost).
  • Options
    Just a personal preference and no judgement here, but I try not to use pacifiers.  I didn't want to deal with the addiction and taking it away so after a couple months I stopped using them all together.  But during those first couple months while getting into a routine, I used NUK.  
  • Options
    STM here and... None! and so glad we did! First, I didn't want nipple confusion with BFing... and second I didn't want it to become a habit forming behavior that would turn into something more of an issue down the road. When DS would fuss I just put him to the boob... I see some of my close friends who gave a pacifier and they are almost 3 now and still can't sleep without one. My one friends daughter even went to sucking her thumb when they cut cold turkey. Which is a constant battle she is fighting. 

However, I know that this isn't always the case and it is a necessary in some cases. I just won't be using one. 
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    Wubbanubs

We have the duck, she calls it "Nigh Nigh" and the frog, which is Froggy. 
    If you go his route and your baby makes these his/her lovies-
     buy three of the one he/she likes. 
    Trust me.
    I got the giraffe for my shower and omg I'm in love with it - SO CUTE.  I totally want the caterpillar too.

I like that it's big enough that I (probably) won't lose it.  I definitely don't like that the paci isn't replaceable though - don't they wear out?  When I first saw it I assumed it snapped on and off or something so you could wash the animal or replace the paci but it's predominantly attached as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    I'm not really a fan of them, I didn't plan on using either.  DD didn't even take one until 6 months and it was initially in the car to soothe her on a long ride. She used Nuk and MAM until a year but only sleeping. She was never attached and started so late I never had nipple confusion.  I just took them away and it was never an issue. I don't expect that to be the case for every child. I am kind hoping not to use them this time at all.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• Options

@ceh789 We bought one of these things to use with the MAM pacifiers - https://www.amazon.com/Paci-Plushies-Milo-The-Monkey/dp/B001FW3UHW/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388695106&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=stuffed+animal+pacifier+attachment+mam

Same concept as the Wubbanub, but you can change the pacifier out. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We used MAMS. They were a life saver! But she was a paci addict and when it came time to break the habit it was tough in us all.

I don't necessarily want to use pacifiers for this baby, but, I have a feeling I will probably lose my sanity if we don't. We will see.

• Options
    STM here and... None! and so glad we did! First, I didn't want nipple confusion with BFing... and second I didn't want it to become a habit forming behavior that would turn into something more of an issue down the road. When DS would fuss I just put him to the boob... I see some of my close friends who gave a pacifier and they are almost 3 now and still can't sleep without one. My one friends daughter even went to sucking her thumb when they cut cold turkey. Which is a constant battle she is fighting. 

However, I know that this isn't always the case and it is a necessary in some cases. I just won't be using one. 
    Glad you shared -- I was about to ask whether anyone chose NOT to use one! I don't have any and will try to avoid using them if I can. I really don't want to have to fight the battle of the binky if we can help it. That being said, I might ultimately give in if we have an incredibly fussy baby and exhaust every other option with no success!
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Unplanned pregnancy July 2005; EDD 3/27/06; birthdaughter born 3/15/06 (38w2d) (placed for adoption).
    TTC since December 2012, BFP 6/25/13. EDD 3/2/14. Baby Elias born 2/21/14 (38w5d)!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"