January 2014 Moms
Options

Pitocin

I am going to be induced next week at 39 weeks due to my gestational diabetes (my blood sugars are good but my OB says she doesn't let patients with GD go the full 40 weeks). Anyway, I am nervous about getting Pitocin. I have read about some scary side effects. Good news: I am 3cm and 80% effaced, so I shouldn't need cervical gel. Any positive stories about Pitocin would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Re: Pitocin

• Options
    I was born with Pitocin.  It was administered because my mother's water broke, but she was making very little progress in labor.

She said it was no more painful than her totally natural labor, and that the pushing phase was actually easier, over in about 15 minutes.  (First baby was pitocin, second was natural, no pain meds either time.)
  • Options
    Here's how my pitocin induction went:  Pit started at 4 PM Friday, contractions were pretty light and easy to get through until midnight.  Water was broken by the doctor at 4 AM Saturday.  By 6 AM I was having trouble concentrating on my epidural-free labor hopes.  Around noon I was checked and at 5 cm.  I was exhausted and knew I would need energy so I asked for the epidural so I could nap.  I started to get a fever around 5 PM and so we talked about c-section.  I asked for a few more hours, and was ready to push at 7:45 PM.  He was born at 7:59 PM.

Overall, I would say it was successful in that it ended in a healthy delivery and I didn't have to have an emergency c-section.  Compared to my BFF who I was a labor coach for and who went into labor naturally- my labor was longer, my contractions were longer and closer together, and I ended up with an epidural while she didn't.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced last week. Went in 8pm on the 25th for cytotec. Pitocin started at 7am. Contractions were 2 minutes apart by 11. So frequent that I got the epidural just to be able to rest. By 6 I was ready to push and she was here by 6:58. :) other than the frequency, it went awesome. I went in only 1cm dilated and thick.
  • Options
    I was induced at 39 w with my first. They broke my water and waited a few hours to see if that would kick start labor naturally, then started the pitocin. I labored 4-5 hours with the pit before asking for an epidural. About 1.5 hours after the epi I was 10 cm and pushed for 3.5 hours. Labor start to finish was about 14 hours or so.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    moosebaby2011moosebaby2011 member
    edited December 2013
    I was induced with my DS at 40w1d due to GD. I was dilated 2-3 cm (can't remember how effaced) so I was able to do a pitocin-only induction. They started the pitocin around 11 am, and I was really nervous that I'd have these crazy intense contractions right away but I didn't. I was contracting every 2 minutes, but didn't feel anything stronger than the BH's I'd been having for weeks. They checked me around 3 pm, and it turned out I was only dilated to 3-4 cm, so the decision was made to break my water. After that I started feeling contractions A LOT and things started moving along more quickly. I got an epi around 5-6 pm, and by 10 pm I was fully dilated and ready to push. DS was born at 11:18 pm.

I have no complaints at all about the way that my induction went. It was 12 hours from start to finish, and for a FTM I thought that was pretty good.

ETA: I didn't have any problems bonding with or breastfeeding DS, if that was part of your concern about side effects. I needed some help with latching initially, but nothing that didn't work itself out with practice.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had pitocin for my 3 children, probably will this time unless I have a c/s. I've never had bad side effects, my children are fine with no behavior problems from it (my mom told me that was an issue).

I did use an epidural with all 3, not wanting to originally, but the contractions were worse than I thought they would be. I have not had a non-pit labor, so I can't tell you the difference for me.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• Options
    I got Pitocin at 4 cm and went from 4 cm to 10 cm in 2 hours. The pain was no worse than my first labor without Pitocin but the contractions were more frequent. I was terrified because of the horror stories but I am glad my experience was a good one, and hopefully yours will be too.
  • Options
    BuckeyeANGBuckeyeANG member
    edited January 2014
    I was induced at 40w with pitocin for DS1. I was 3cm, 80% and pit was started at 6am. I got an epidural because that was my plan all along but truthfully the contractions weren't that terrible for me (I'm sure they would have gotten much worse had I not gotten the epi). I pushed for 90 mins and DS was born at 8pm. I had no trouble BFing whatsoever. While I would prefer to go into labor on my own this time, I would be fine with another induction if needed.
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"