January 2013 Moms

Cake

If someone already asked this...I can't find it...

What kind of cake is your little one having for their first birthday?

Seeking ideas for yummy cake everyone will like but isn't loaded with sugar/butter/etc!

Re: Cake

• I googled babies first birthday cakes. I found a few recipes. I'm going to try making one tomorrow for fun with bananas and apple sauce. But this will just be for DDs smash cake. Everyone else will have a normal cake or cupcakes at her party. When I told my mom about making DD a special not sugary cake she flipped. Thinks since my sisters and I ate sugary bad foods and were fine that DD should. That I'm going to cause her to have issues by not feeding it to her :P ugh
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we had just a yellow cake with whit icing...my sister made it...for the rest of us it was yellow cake with chocolate..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • jobiannjobiann member
    edited December 2013
    For DS's cake we just had a vanilla frosting on white cake. And for the sheet cake we did half white and half chocolate decorated! Honestly, he didn't even eat much of it! The photo shows mostly finger damage...but not much made it to his actual mouth!

PhotoPhoto

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• We are just letting her have a piece of vanilla on vanilla sheet cake from the grocery store. A tiny piece. We are also have a birthday brunch so she had it in the morning. We are headed to the children's museum after brunch so she can run it off:)
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • I googled babies first birthday cakes. I found a few recipes. I'm going to try making one tomorrow for fun with bananas and apple sauce. But this will just be for DDs smash cake. Everyone else will have a normal cake or cupcakes at her party. When I told my mom about making DD a special not sugary cake she flipped. Thinks since my sisters and I ate sugary bad foods and were fine that DD should. That I'm going to cause her to have issues by not feeding it to her :P ugh

My mom was the same way!!! And the bad part is 90% of our family is diabetic but they don't understand why I limit her sugar! It's crazy. They think I'm crazy for trying to teach her healthy habits from a young age, because my brother and I weren't. To this day I hate veggies because I wasn't introduced to them early. I'm also extremely picky and I don't want DD to end up the same because it just makes things harder as you get older.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for all the ideas!!  LOVE the ideas of applesauce, zucchini, etc in the cakes!
  • If my DD didn't have a sensitive tummy I wouldn't mind her having regular cake. Since it is a one time thing. But I'm afraid of what that night will be like.
  • Just a regular white cake from the store. I do not expect her to eat much of it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We are doing a yellow cake with buttercreme icing I figure its one time so she will be fine. Her party is on the 18th her actual birthday is the 14th so ill probably bake her a cupcake to play with after dinner on the 14th.
  • We will be giving DD just a regular cupcake or smash cake (haven't decided yet).  DD eats healthy 95% of the time, so a one time thing like this doesn't bug me.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I just really didn't want to deal with a grumpy-post-sugar-high Eloise and with cloth diapering... we try to avoid upset stomachs when we can. I'm glad we didn't do too much sugar because she eats food so enthusiastically anyways that the photos are still cute.
  • We gave LO a piece of vanilla cake with buttercream frosting. She hated it and didnt eat anything.
  • I made a white cake but did a substitute for eggs with bananas for her smash cake and put some icing in top with sprinkles. She hated the sprinkles (as I expected) didn't care for the icing but she dug in on the actual cake part. All the leftovers my bils ate them lol so it was a really good, healthy (as healthy as a box cake can get), and it was a fun memory I get to tell dd about. For the adults a made a cheesecake :)
  • We don't eat wheat in our house due to DH's health, so we made cheesecake and gave DS a little personal-sized one without much sugar in it. He had fun smearing it around! Was definitely most interested in grabbing the candle, though :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"