August 2013 Moms
Options

pumping at work

For all you moms out there who pump at work...how are you handling it?  Are you producing enough?  Am I the only one that finds it to be stressful at times!?  Every day I just keep hoping i will pump enough for the next day.  Right now he is eating 15 oz and that is what I am getting in an 8 hours day at work so thats a plus! 

Re: pumping at work

• Options
    I produce about the same if not one extra bottle. I am a freak about my supply. I just worry I am going to wake up one day and not be able to BF any more. I get stressed over it way too easy but know that I am lucky to have such a good supply.

Picture the Moment Photography: Liam &emdash; 938A7372-Edit       

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    so what is your schedule like for pumping?  If you don't mind me asking?? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the tie pictures BTW!
  • Options
    Awe thanks. I pump three times at work which I usually yield about 16 oz. Then if he doesn't wake before I leave I pump then. I work 6 to 3 with a 30 min commute each way.

• Options
    Pumping was going pretty well, but my baby is on nothing close to a schedule and it affects my pumping. We have good days and bad.

For example, if she eats at 8am, then I pump at 10 I won't get more than 2 oz. If she ate at 6:30 or 7am, then I pump at 10 I would get 3-4 oz.

I have added a morning pump and pump twice at work. I normally work a 7 hour day, and when I was doing 3 pumps I was ending up with less milk. Strange, but that's what happened.

I do get stressed about pumping and I get so upset when DH gives DD a bottle when I'm home. He thinks it's helpful if he gives her a bottle before putting her down at night. Normally, I go to sleep before him. But, I'd rather just wake up to nurse her for 5 minutes than stress about pumping another bottle the next day.

It's also hard because DD still nurses every 2 hours so it's difficult to do additional pumping while home with her. I hardly get anything. 

Anyway, sorry for the novel, and yes I do find it stressful. 

• Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one.  The other day a friend of mine watched LO while i was at work and spilled half the bottle.  I wantet to sit down and cry!!!  She didn't mean to of course but the breast milk is precious stuff!!!!  I don't waste any of it!! 
  • Options
    Some days I pump just enough, other days I dont. Some days I pump extra...I have stopped stressing about it and just swap in formula when needed. She is still mostly on BM

• Options
    @LJUTCMommy I have a hard time leaving him for the same reasons.  It is just easier to feed him fresh from the boob than it is to find time to pump an extra session.  I do have about 70 ounces in the freezer right now but I am like a hoarder about it.  I hate seeing my precious stash dipped into. 

• Options
    Very jealous of your 70 oz!!  I think the most I have ever have is 30!! 
  • Options
    KQuinonez said:
    @LJUTCMommy I have a hard time leaving him for the same reasons.  It is just easier to feed him fresh from the boob than it is to find time to pump an extra session.  I do have about 70 ounces in the freezer right now but I am like a hoarder about it.  I hate seeing my precious stash dipped into. 
    I completely understand. I only have maybe 20 oz left in the freezer stash at this point, but my whole life revolves around nursing.

A couple friends asked if I wanted to go to a concert with them next week and I was like "I am not going to pump a bunch of extra bottles just so I can go to a concert!" I really only leave DD when absolutely necessary--like to go to work. 

I guess this is a confession, but a really long time ago, back when we were all pregnant, someone posted that their mom discouraged them from BFing because she would be "a slave to her baby and a slave to her boobs". I'm thankful to have the ability to BF, but I totally understand what that Mom was saying.

I'm going to keep BFing, because it is faster and easier than FF for us, but it is stressful at times. 

• Options
    KQuinonezKQuinonez member
    edited December 2013
    AarikaW44 said:
    I think the best thing to do is not stress and drink more water.  That is what helps me the most.  I was reading earlier that someone ( @Bellaoso I believe) said she got better results with a manual than she ever did her double electric.  Might be work a shot. 

• Options
    KQuinonez said:
    AarikaW44 said:
    I think the best thing to do is not stress and drink more water.  That is what helps me the most.  I was reading earlier that someone ( @Bellaoso I believe) said she got better results with a manual than she ever did her double electric.  Might be work a shot. 
    I'm considering getting a manual too, just because then I could also pump while nursing since DD normally only eats from one side. Setting up an electric to pump one side is a PITA.

• Options
    I make an extra 8 oz a day at work. I take a book or my phone in there to occupy me. I don't find it stressful. I just go with the (pun intended) flow.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    It's definitely stressful. And of course, stressing doesn't help! I pump 3 times at the office. My lactation nurse said to add in two extra sessions when I pump. So I do that and have been pumping enough for the next day plus a little extra. I feel like my day revolves around pumping and what those sessions produce. So you're not alone. I'm a FTM so I assume it will get better in time. Good luck!
  • Options
    have any of you tried fenugreek or blessed thistle? 
  • Options
    Yes, somewhat stressful but most of that is self-inflicted. I pump 3x a day at work and get between 18-21 oz. They eat about 24oz while I'm at work, so I add in two morning pumps before work - one before they eat to relieve a bit of the engorgement and then one after. Those pumps net me 4-6oz and close the gap.

I have a very healthy freezer stash (prob close to 500 oz, which is too much) and I'd really like to go down to 2 pumps a day at work. I know I can run a deficit for a while and still be okay but I'm so paranoid that I'll wake up one day and my supply will be gone. It's completely irrational and the source of most of my stress.

I am so lucky to be able to bf twins w no supply problems and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. My stash is like my security blanket, haha.

• Options
    Yes, stressful here, too, even though I know it only makes everything worse. I pump just enough or a little less than enough at work (pump 4x, every 2 hours), and make up any deficit with a pumping session at night before I go to bed. I worry all the time that I'll start getting less and less milk. I also find it so hard to be productive at work because I'm pumping so often; right when I start to get into a groove I have to stop and go pump. Boo.
    Baby boy born 08-22-2013!
  • Options
    I agree with @carrotcake06 a lot of the stress is self inflicted (for me anyway). I used to stress about it, keep records of how much I pumped vs how much she drank, and worry about every little half ounce.
    I stopped tracking (on an app) and that actually helped me relax a bit. I usually pump what she eats...maybe an ounce over or under depending on the day.
    I finally accepted that I'll make what I make and if I have to give formula I will, it's nbd. Ironically I've never had to dip into my stash.
  • Options
    It is def stressful. I used to dread doing it, now I take it for what it is. I'm happy I can produce what I can and I just either surf the web on my phone or watch bravo while pumping.

My supply dropped a few weeks back and I was very sad. Then my H found "more milk plus" pills from "mother love" man, they helped A LOT! I pump three times at work and if for whatever reason I don't pump enough for the next day I do more pumping at night and for sure on in the morning while doing my make up.

I do know phone in hand always helps. Before I know it the bottle is almost full. GL OP!

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    LokiLahve said:
    I agree with @carrotcake06 a lot of the stress is self inflicted (for me anyway). I used to stress about it, keep records of how much I pumped vs how much she drank, and worry about every little half ounce. I stopped tracking (on an app) and that actually helped me relax a bit. I usually pump what she eats...maybe an ounce over or under depending on the day. I finally accepted that I'll make what I make and if I have to give formula I will, it's nbd. Ironically I've never had to dip into my stash.
    This is me exactly! I track everything ... Maybe I should stop.
    Baby boy born 08-22-2013!
  • Options
    csm7979 said:

LokiLahve said:

I agree with @carrotcake06 a lot of the stress is self inflicted (for me anyway). I used to stress about it, keep records of how much I pumped vs how much she drank, and worry about every little half ounce.
    I stopped tracking (on an app) and that actually helped me relax a bit. I usually pump what she eats...maybe an ounce over or under depending on the day.
    I finally accepted that I'll make what I make and if I have to give formula I will, it's nbd. Ironically I've never had to dip into my stash.

It took me a few tries to stop and stay stopped. Seriously, it was like a compulsion and it was making me insane.
    I've never actually had supply issues... I make what she needs. I think the tracking for me was causing more stress. Like worrying about something that wasn't even an issue.
  • Options
    @LokiLahve I track and totally should stop. I've stopped stressing over every half ounce during the week and that's helped. I no longer try to freeze any during the week. I think as they get older, I unclench little by little bc thry start eating table food and I'm not 100% solely responsible for their survival (I know I'm being dramatic).

• Options
    Pumping at work is very easy for me, but I am very lucky. I have my own private office that has no windows and I have a key to it. So I am able to pump whenever I need to and for as long as I need too. I totally hate my job, but it's a great situation for as longn as I need to be pumping. I only work 6 hour days and LO only has 2 4oz bottles while away from me so I am able to produce plenty for the next day.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:

csm7979 said:

LokiLahve said:

It took me a few tries to stop and stay stopped. Seriously, it was like a compulsion and it was making me insane.
    I've never actually had supply issues... I make what she needs. I think the tracking for me was causing more stress. Like worrying about something that wasn't even an issue.

This x100!

When I stopped counting ounce by ounce, my stress level plummeted and, guess what, I still have more than enough milk to feed with and to add to my stash.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    I pump every 4 hrs, so at least 3x's, if not 4 times at work. I have access to a hospital grade pump, so I get a lot out. I have no worries about that.

The thing is time! Between seeing patients, discarges, admits, consults, and all that jazz--I am usually anywhere between 3 1/2 hrs to 4 1/2 hts between sessions. And I pump 10 mins, don't have time for more

It's worked out so far. And I try not to stress. I just do what I can.
  • Options
    I pump 3 times at work - and I am so lucky to have a pump room, so that helps with the stress.  But I always stress about not having enough.  With DS1, once my supply dipped I couldn't get it back up, so this time I am really focusing on it and adding mother's milk tea and fenugreek just to keep it up!  I pump about 16-18 ounces in three pump sessions, which are about 15-20 minutes each.
    image    image   image   image
    DS #1 arrived 10/09/2011
    DS #2 arrived 08/27/2013
    Loving every minute with two sweet boys!

• Options
    I'm pumping right now at work. I have an office with blinds so I don't have to go anywhere. It's really nice. I used to pump every three hours. But starting this week I do every 4. And hoping that 2 pumps a day will yield what she needs. I make 3 4oz bottles for her for daycare. I stress every single time I pump that I'm not producing enough. And I've never had an issue. I wish I wouldn't stress. But I'm not sure there's a way.
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"