Baby Names

Name combo issue

pandadairpandadair member
edited December 2013 in Baby Names
We have already decided that the name our baby goes by will be Benton (Ben), after my great-grandfather. I'd always wanted to use Robert (another fam name) as the middle. Problem is, our last name starts with A, and I don't want our son's initials to be BRA. So. Options (according to me) at this point are call him by his middle name or use my maiden name as middle (Only girl granddaughters on Dad's side), which my husband thinks sounds weird. I'd appreciate opinions, because I'm not sure where I stand on calling him by his middle name.

Edited to remove a few family details.

Name combo issue 74 votes

Robert Benton
45% 34 votes
Benton Moreau (Like the Dr. with the island. I like my maiden name.)
54% 40 votes

Re: Name combo issue

• I'm a firm believer in naming your child what you plan to call them, so I voted for Benton Moreau. But really, I would like Benton Robert better. The initial thing will probably not occur to anyone. And when you do get monogrammed items, the last initial is typically in the middle (BAR). But if it is something that you and your DH can't get over, Moreau is a good MN with significance for you.
    Anniversary
  • Robert is a front runner for a future DS for me, so I went with Robert Benton.  Lots of NN potential there.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I hate naming a kid with the plan to use MN.

I wouldn't personally get hung up over BRA and I'd use that name you liked best. How often do you see someone's initials. If you told me that name I wouldn't have even put it together with BRA. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jessa8907 said:
    I voted for Robert Benton but I am one of those people who doesn't think it's a big deal for a kid to go by their middle name. My brother and dad both go by their middle name and it hasn't been an issue for them.

^This. It's not a huge deal. I personally didn't want my son to go by his middle name but I don't think it's weird when a kid does.

• allardr said:
    I hate naming a kid with the plan to use MN.

I wouldn't personally get hung up over BRA and I'd use that name you liked best. How often do you see someone's initials. If you told me that name I wouldn't have even put it together with BRA. 
    I probably just get hung up on it because I initial things all the time at work using all 3 initials. So it's just automatically how I picture it. I'm glad it wouldn't even occur to you, though, because it definitely jumps out at me.

• MelRC117 said:
    I didn't vote because I say stick with Benton Robert.  BRA is not that big of deal and I would definitely not switch the FN and MN around because of it.  HOWEVER, I do prefer Robert over Benton and like Helena pointed out there are so many NNs...I think Bobby is cute on a little boy and then when older could always go by Rob or Robert.
    We're going with Benton because we both like Ben (especially my husband), so we figured might as well use the family name that lends itself. To me, Robert will always be my middle-aged dad named Bob. I can't get around it. It would feel weird using any other nickname in my own family, but I do like Bobby and Rob on other people.

• Robert Benton. I don't like Benton as a first name at all.
  • I think Benton Moreau sounds really distinguished. Benton isn't my normal style but I think this sounds really great.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"