May 2014 Moms
Options

Birth photography?

Is anyone interested in birth photgraphy? I never thought I would be but after seeing a lot of tactfully done birth photos, I think I may be interested (if I can convince DH with the cost of it and the cost of newborn photos).

I saw through different photographers some wonderful photos of the baby and even more wonderful pics of the parents with the new baby.

I love DH dearly, but taking pictures are not his best thing. I love the pictures of DS after he was born but I would have loved professional pics.

Is anyone else thinking of going that route? How did you convince your SO to do it? What is the average cost where you are?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Birth photography?

• Options
    No. Just no. I think when I'm in labour, the last thing I want is someone taking pictures of it. Aside from the awkwardness of the situation, I don't think anyone wants to see that.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    I've been heavily considering it with this baby. When I had my son, it was such a traumatic birth that I remember nothing of it and I can't even put words to how devastated I still am about that fact. Because of this, I've been really researching possible options in my area (Portland, OR). I think the average price is about $500. But I've also heard about a lot of doulas that also do the photography for you which I think might be kind of nice too. For me no convincing my husband as he knows how I feel about my birth with my son, and he shares some of the situational amnesia.
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's something I've definitely been considering. I'm not sure though.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MimalooMimaloo member
    edited December 2013
    Annnnnnnnddddd......no.  

ETA - we have already booked our newborn photographer.  Those are the only pictures I'd really like to have.  I don't even want maternity pics at this point.  
  • Options
    My cousin just had this done with her son and they were so well done it really makes me want to do it. I had several pictures with DS from my SIL and cousin who's a photographer so we may just go with the same thing this time.
  • Options
    I want to soooo bad. However, in my area there is 1 birth photographer. Just 1. They charge $650 to do it. So, I still haven't decided!
  • Options
    If you end up with a c section, then this may not even be possible. Especially if you have to be completely under. And no one ever thinks it is going to happen to them. I would spend my money on getting good newborn pictures or maternity photos instead.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    I've seen some really tasteful ones. Then I've seen some really BAD ones. We are having newborn photos done. I told DH that if he wants to photograph the birth for our viewing only, he can. But I'm not going to pay someone to do it. I like peace and quiet and to be left alone when I'm in pain. I know that photographers who do birth photography swear they are quiet and try hard not to be intrusive. It's not worth the money to me, plus, our hospital has some really strict guidelines.

• Options
    I have never seen anyone around here that does it.  But it would be so nice to have someone capture "professional" quality photos after the birth.  DH did a pretty good job last time, but we don't have any good ones of the three of us together.  

One of the things you can do is make a list of the photos you want your SO to take (or someone else who you are having in the room) because it can get overwhelming.  i.e., baby on the scale being weighed for the first time, etc.  There was a list floating around internet land when I had DD.  I'll see if I can find it.

• Options
    Do it do it do it!!!! My best friend is a photog so she did mine with DS. I am sooooooo thankful I have those pictures. There are NO full on vag shot. Just everything else. The emotion in the room was captured exactly how I remembered it. And after things got going I honestly forgot she was even there. When DS came out she got some of THE MOST amazing pictures of him. But please do your research and look around!
  • Options
    I love emotional photos and think well done birth photography is amazing. Not sure it will be in our budget. But the doula I was looking at does take photos if we want her to.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If only I can convince DH! But the average cost around here is 1000-1500 with the cheapest being 850. Our newborn photography isn't cheap either....we spent about 800 on DSs pics. I don't know if I can convince DH for us to do both.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Um, no.  Who wants to see those pictures except you and your husband?  And you two were like, there.  I feel like the birth of your child is something you remember without photographic evidence.  If my mom told me she had photos from my birth I'd have zero interest in seeing them and you're not going to frame them and put them in your living room (dear God, at least I hope not), so I just don't get the point.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    There are 2 photos of my mother holding me right after I was born. She looks like she was ready to drop dead. I'm glad she didn't have photos taken during.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    The doula I'm hiring also does birth photography so she's doing to do both. As long as it's done right, it's a beautiful thing.
                                         my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
  • Options
    I just brought it up to DH and got a very firm "no". Guess that settles that. Lol
    If it's something you and DH are interested in, then do it. It's not like you have to put the pictures up for display if you don't want to.

• Options
    Absolutely. I'm surprised so many are saying no! I am a journalist and having photojournalism-type photos is something I am really excited for. I have also loved watching and reading birth stories, so I really see the beauty in it.

That said, they will not be making appearances on Facebook, or for anyone who isn't interested in seeing. Even if I'm the only one who enjoys them it will be worth it.

Everyone, including my husband thinks I'm nuts, but this is important to me. Plus, better to have them and not want them than not have any and wish you had. It helps that the premier birth photographer in my area (MA) is very affordable and I was super comfortable with her.
  • Options
    Hell to the no.  I also instructed my husband to not take any pics of the baby until it's cleaned up.  I hate seeing pics where babies still have that white shit all over them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you asked this a few months ago I would have chimed in with the majority and say no effin' way. But I saw pics posted on Facebook of a birth and the photos were all so beautiful. They don't take the money shot, or at least that wasn't posted on Facebook! Haha

But I'm a RCS, so no effin' way. ;)

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    I'm a 200% yes on this. Especially this being my 3rd... the photos of me in labor (And the pics are horrible quality) are some that I cherish the most. I took a few myself during the process and my MWs took some while I was in the tub. I love them. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I've done some inquiries but the price around here is really steep. I've asked a few friends if they would consider taking pics for me for a nominal fee - we have a DSLR and I'm happy to set it to auto and have them snap pics. 

I'll just also add that there is no picture that can make me cry faster than my oldest son and my husband cutting our youngest's cord. 
  • Options
    I will add to the HELL YES train. Do it! You won't regret it. Ours stay in an album not up on the walls or anything but I'm so happy we have them. Worth the money hands down.

Here was Brynns birth

https://youtu.be/bWal3t8v41A
  • Options
    Oh and there were some that are not for public viewing, but those simply stayed out of the album and YouTube slides how.
  • Options
    My MIL has been loving photography and her new photography classes lately. So the only way Ill have birth photos is if she is willing to do it for me.
  • Options
    Hallil said:

I will add to the HELL YES train. Do it! You won't regret it. Ours stay in an album not up on the walls or anything but I'm so happy we have them. Worth the money hands down.

Here was Brynns birth

These are stunning.
  • Options
    Hallil said:

Here was Brynns birth

Those were beautiful - thank you for sharing!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited January 2014
    I was completely torn up until I saw the pictures. I hired a friend who's a professional photographer. She was building her birth photography portfolio so I got an amazing deal on her full maternity and birth package. But I honestly truly thought I'd kick her out, especially since the rooms are soooo small and we were having a natural birth. I completely forgot she was there until she was holding a leg while I pushed lol. Here's the link to ours. There's a video somewhere but I can't find it. I don't mind sharing since this is on her blog anyways. The photo of hubby and I face to face is in black and white over my couch. I still can't look through them without tearing up. I don't remember so much, including that favorite picture of us. I told her after I had planned on kicking her out and I was so unsure about having her there but was so grateful to have her capturing these moments. As we prepare to possibly be 3.5 hours away we're trying to figure out how to get her there.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would if I could afford it. Photographs are precious, even if you don't look your best in them. But I have seen some really great birth photography before.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing. not an option for me though, since I'm having a c-section and I can only have one person (ie DH ) in the OR with me. With DD (also a scheduled csection) DH videotaped the birth on his iphone. Not as gross as it sounds. You see a shot of the clock on the wall, hear the Ob say "there's a full head of hair," shot of my face and my reaction as we hear DD's first cries, then a shot of DD as the Ob brings her around the drapes for us to see her.
  • Options
    No, but DH is bummed that no pics are allowed in the OR during a c-section. He's a hunter and he thought it was awesome getting to see me being "field dressed" when DS was born. 8-|

File under: You might be married to a redneck if...

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I'd really like to have labor/birth/newborn professional photos this time.
    Some of the nurses took photos during my delivery at a birth center. Some are nice. Now I will always remember DH face when he helped our son into this world. It really wasn't "gory" at all. We have an 8x10 framed in our living room that is a collage of the birth and a couple days afterwards. Nothing remotely medical. DS loves to look at it, as do I.
  • Options
    My risk of ending up with another c section is too high to even bother looking. Can't have more than one person in the OR with me.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"