October 2013 Moms
Options

Pumping at work--general tips/timesavers

Any general tips/timesavers for ladies who are headed back to the office now or soon?

I pumped at work for a full year and will start with a few.

1. Pump parts stay clean for a full 24 hours if they are kept in a small bag with a cooler or in a refrigerator. I had a little insulated lunch bag with a frozen insert that i kept in my pump bag and kept my pumped milk and pump parts in that bag after every pump--no potentially-awkward rinsing or washing in the kitchen sink required, since it all stays chilled. Also, no awkward storing milk in the shared office refrigerator! At the end if the day, I would take my milk and pump parts home, wash, and repeat.

2. If you just pump to replace what your child is eating while you are at work, then just leave your pump at the office and only transport the insulated lunch bag to and from your home. Since I never tried to build a super stash, I only pumped when I was at work. On the weekends, I breastfed and never used the pump. So leaving it at the office cut down on the annoyance and inconvenience of hauling a big, not so discreet pump twice a day.

3. Listen to music while pumping. Before I did this, I would be so stressed at the sound my pump made (I just pumped in my office and it has paper thin walls and I used to worry about my co-workers hearing the pump and that being uncomfortable). Listening to music allowed me to relax and made me more efficient at pumping.

4. Assuming you can't wear nursing tanks to work (i can't), wear clothes with necklines that allow you to just whip out the boobs for pumping, as opposed to having to pull off entirely your shirt or dress to gain access. Regardless of the fact that no one is watching, pumping at the office feels odd enough. Pumping naked in your office is almost too uncomfortable to bear!

Re: Pumping at work--general tips/timesavers

• Options
    Great post. I know it can feel awkward and Ipersonally don't care what others think but really remember why you are doing this... others may make comments or jokes or ask questions but remain strong in your beliefs and your decision to pump.

Also I filled my phone with pics of videos and photos of LO which I think really helped with my pumping, especially in the early days.

I keep a pack of Chlorox wipes on me to clean up the room if necessary. First off I'm not sure if our cleaning crew goes in there and second I do drop a couple if drops from time to time.

I keep my milk and parts in the fridge at work bc idgaf!
  • Options
    I like this post thanks :)!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @comeongetdown:

I never wore any hands free bras or tanks to work because I never had them. I made a couple hands free bras out of sports bras for at home use, but they were not exactly work appropriate!

I never really felt like I needed the hands free set up. It only took me about 15 minutes to pump, once I got things figured out for maximum efficiency, so I just usually sat there with the pump flanges shoved into my regular bra, leaned back a little so they would stay attached, and bumped, read the news, etc. and just relaxed to try to get it finished as quickly as possible.

I did occassionally review documents while pumping, and in those cases when I was being productive, I would pump one side at a time while holding the flange with one hand and use my other hand to flip through documents and mark/sort them.
  • Options
    Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you pump one side per session, if that's how baby typically nurses, or do you pump both?

Great point about leaving he pump at the office, I wouldn't have thought of that!

Has anyone tried the simple wishes hands free bra? I read good reviews on Amazon but then read that the company was sending customers incentives to write good reviews so I hesitated buying one.
  • Options
    @ballstategrad,

I only feed one side per feeding at home, but I did pump both sides at work. I felt like my pump wasn't quite as good at stimulating production as my little one, so the tandem pumping sessions during the day never caused any oversupply--they just maintained an adequate supply.

If you started pumping each side every session and felt like you were triggering oversupply issues, it would make sense to go back to one side per session.

• Options
    Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you pump one side per session, if that's how baby typically nurses, or do you pump both? Great point about leaving he pump at the office, I wouldn't have thought of that! Has anyone tried the simple wishes hands free bra? I read good reviews on Amazon but then read that the company was sending customers incentives to write good reviews so I hesitated buying one.
    I really like my Simple Wishes bra. It's not something you can wear on a daily basis, though, it wouldn't be comfortable at all. But for hands free pumping it's pretty great.
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     Has anyone tried the simple wishes hands free bra? I read good reviews on Amazon but then read that the company was sending customers incentives to write good reviews so I hesitated buying one.
    I am using it right now, sorry it that is TMI :)  I have not gone back to work yet, but I love it at home so far and I am planning to use it when I go back to work.  It is very adjustable to fix your body which I think really helps.  I just strap it on over my regular nursing bra when I am pumping, then put it back in the pump bag when I am done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, this is really helpful. Do you pump one side per session, if that's how baby typically nurses, or do you pump both?

Great point about leaving he pump at the office, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I really like my Simple Wishes bra. It's not something you can wear on a daily basis, though, it wouldn't be comfortable at all. But for hands free pumping it's pretty great.

Ditto. It's amazing. I wil want to work while pumping so it will be perfect!

imageimageimage

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    Any general tips/timesavers for ladies who are headed back to the office now or soon? I pumped at work for a full year and will start with a few. 1. Pump parts stay clean for a full 24 hours if they are kept in a small bag with a cooler or in a refrigerator. I had a little insulated lunch bag with a frozen insert that i kept in my pump bag and kept my pumped milk and pump parts in that bag after every pump--no potentially-awkward rinsing or washing in the kitchen sink required, since it all stays chilled. Also, no awkward storing milk in the shared office refrigerator! At the end if the day, I would take my milk and pump parts home, wash, and repeat. 
    Which brand of cooler were you using that could fit your parts and bottles and still fit in your pump bag?
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Any general tips/timesavers for ladies who are headed back to the office now or soon?

I pumped at work for a full year and will start with a few.

1. Pump parts stay clean for a full 24 hours if they are kept in a small bag with a cooler or in a refrigerator. I had a little insulated lunch bag with a frozen insert that i kept in my pump bag and kept my pumped milk and pump parts in that bag after every pump--no potentially-awkward rinsing or washing in the kitchen sink required, since it all stays chilled. Also, no awkward storing milk in the shared office refrigerator! At the end if the day, I would take my milk and pump parts home, wash, and repeat. 

Which brand of cooler were you using that could fit your parts and bottles and still fit in your pump bag?

I pump straight into a milk storage bag (like Lansinoh bags the best), so those take up less space in the cooler/bag.

With Lansinoh bags, I just kept a roll of scotch tape and small scissors in my bag and taped the bag to the flange and then cut it off and sealed it at the end of the session.

• Options
    Did anyone ever use the medela quick clean wipes for their parts? I got those at my shower. Also I think I will wear padded nursing bras to work and do the hair tie trick to make it hands free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Options
    Any general tips/timesavers for ladies who are headed back to the office now or soon? I pumped at work for a full year and will start with a few. 1. Pump parts stay clean for a full 24 hours if they are kept in a small bag with a cooler or in a refrigerator. I had a little insulated lunch bag with a frozen insert that i kept in my pump bag and kept my pumped milk and pump parts in that bag after every pump--no potentially-awkward rinsing or washing in the kitchen sink required, since it all stays chilled. Also, no awkward storing milk in the shared office refrigerator! At the end if the day, I would take my milk and pump parts home, wash, and repeat. 
    I pump straight into a milk storage bag (like Lansinoh bags the best), so those take up less space in the cooler/bag. With Lansinoh bags, I just kept a roll of scotch tape and small scissors in my bag and taped the bag to the flange and then cut it off and sealed it at the end of the session.
    Aren't the measurements on the bags off though?
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Did anyone ever use the medela quick clean wipes for their parts? I got those at my shower. Also I think I will wear padded nursing bras to work and do the hair tie trick to make it hands free.

What is the hair tie trick?
  • Options
    @psychdoc12 the measurements on every bag I've tried suck.
  • Options
    Elastic hair band trick is taking a regular elastic and hooking it into the flange then onto the snap of your bra. I've found this to be very convenient. Less time dressing and it's hands free.

• Options
    I have the Medela "easy expressions white bustier" and love it. I used it for a year when I pumped for ds1 while at work and using it again to build my stash. It's super easy to put on over your nursing bra/button down shirt or whatever. It's also pretty comfy and stretchy so it's easy to adjust to the right position and it can also be washed with normal clothes. I think BBB, babies r us and target all keep it in stock.
  • Options
    @sooner1981 I meant to edit ... my milk is in a bag in the fridge ( like a grocery bag) but everyone knows what it is.

I'm not a career girl as such which is why I am willing to dedicate add much time as possible to pumping! I have a sound job, great benefits but um not set on working my way up the Career ladder or anything. plus my work environment is like working with brothers and sisters, wr all get along very well and everyone knows what I'm doing in there...
  • Options
    So I'm a list maker, here's my pump bag checklist, any suggestions?

Pump
    Storage bottles or bags
    Flanges and pump parts
    Gallon ziplock for between session part storage
    Towel or small receiving blanket
    Bra or hair ties
    Cooler and ice packs
    Hand sanitizer

What did I miss?
  • Options

Pump
    Storage bottles or bags
    Flanges and pump parts
    Bra or hair ties
    Cooler and ice packs
    Hand sanitizer

What did I miss?

I would grab a pack of disinfecting wipes. I pumped in an office where our warehouse manager was and everything always had dust or grease on it and grossed me out so I wiped down the desk before starting. O and I found watching videos or looking at pics of my LO helped relax me and made let down happen faster so bring your phone for sure!
  • Options
    That looks good! If you are at all forgetful, I would recommend buying a second set of flanges and a few emergency storage bags, just to keep in a drawer in your desk/locker, if you plan to leave your pump motor at work.

It only happened a few times, but very occasionally, I would arrive at work and realize that I had left my cooler with my pump parts at home. The first time that happened, I went to buy a second set of flanges so that I would always be prepared if that happened again (and it did!). Nothing is worse than trying to work with your boobs on fire because you have no way of relieving them until you leave at the end of the day....
  • Options

Pump
    Storage bottles or bags
    Flanges and pump parts
    Bra or hair ties
    Cooler and ice packs
    Hand sanitizer

What did I miss?

That list looks solid to me, although I personally also take a drink in with me and my phone to look at cute pics of LO as I pump :-)
  • Options
    I always kept a manual pump in my desk drawer. I forgot my parts more often than I care to admit.

I also had to pour milk into my washed out travel coffee cup a few times.. so extra bags sounds like a good idea.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options

I just bought some. I still felt the need to wash them out though, so I'm not sure they are super helpful.
  • Options
    I would throw in some nursing pads. Today I leaked a bunch & didn't have any extra. Oops!

I also have been wearing my BeBand. That way I don't feel so naked if I have to pull my top up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't forget some coconut oil or lanolin to lube up the nips.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    SnoopyLuv said:

I always kept a manual pump in my desk drawer. I forgot my parts more often than I care to admit.

I also had to pour milk into my washed out travel coffee cup a few times.. so extra bags sounds like a good idea.

One time I had to store my milk in two styrofoam coffee cups from our office kitchen with taped-on plastic lids.

Gotta do what you gotta do (and that is what made me stash some emergency bags in a drawer for the future!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"