Success after IF
Options

Chore chart

DH and I are plannning to have DS1 start with a few more chores in the new year. From what we've received from his kindergarten teacher and what I've seen floating around fb, we aren't having him do enough. So far his chores have been to clear his own plate from the table, turn on the lights for Daddy before he gets home (winter months), and throw his clothes down the laundry chute.

For the new chores we feel like it would be good to give him a chore chart, but I don't know what that would look like. Poster board with a grid? Can I just put gold star stickers on the regular calendar? Does each chore completed get a sticker on the chart? Should he receive any reward for completing X amount of chores (other than the satisfaction of a job well done?) And if so, how many completion stickers before he gets a reward? And what is an appropriate reward?

We were going to start this in January and as you can see I've pretty much put this off until the last minute. Any tips for what has, or hasn't, worked for you will be appreciated. :)
Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Chore chart

• Options
    luvbostonluvboston member
    edited December 2013
    What I plan to do when LO is old enough is have a white board where they can come check with us then check off chores. At the end of the week if they complete everything they get money. The reason I strongly believe in giving money is then you can teach them all about it and they have a grasp on different concepts for when they are older. My own parents totally screwed up the chore thing and my little sisters are lazy and don't think they need to do them(its so annoying). I would start with giving LO a quarter a week.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    We are a ways from implementing anything. Growing up we had a chart printed off the computer and we checked the boxes. We got a minimum amount of money each week when we were above 90% completetion (but it was around 15 things per day).

I'm pro chore and chore chart, but I'm kind of in the camp of everyone in the family pitches in to love and support everyone else. Maybe that is too idealistic, but I shouldn't have to pay my kid to do small chores to be part of the family. However, I think earning money, budgeting and learning healthy spending habits are essential life skills, so I'm kinda stuck. Sigh. I'm no help. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of tying rewards or money to doing chores. Everyone should do their work because we are a family. I think stickers on a chart could be a good way it keep kids on track though.

DD1 is only 2 1/2, so she doesn't have official chores yet, but she usually puts her dirty clothes in the laundry basket, sometimes helps me set the table, helps put away her toys, helps get me things for the baby, and will help me cooking (like mixing pancakes).
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    I do not plan on giving money fo chores either. I think it's important for H to learn to do things and have satisfaction for a job well done as his reward. As a teacher, I see so many kids expecting something tangible for making a good grade or helping someone out. In fact they almost demand it. I want H to grow up wanting to help with things like this out of the goodness of his heart.

That said, I want to figure something out that he can earn money for to teach him the value of a dollar, budgeting, saving, and everything else involved with money.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Yeah, we haven't really decided what to do in terms of rewards. Neither he nor I received money for doing regular chores. If I wanted to earn money I had to do serious cleaning, and then only earned a dollar per room I cleaned. I didn't get an allowance per se, money per week just for spending, but they called the money I earned for doing extra work an allowance.

I do want to teach him about earning, saving, and spending money, but I don't think that needs to start at 6. Frankly, I just want him to put on his ding dong clothes in the morning w/o us asking 17 times! Aarghhh!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I work for a bank and I think that learning about money can start at 4 or 5. Check out your bank's website. Usually there are some financial literacy/learning ideas for kids.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"