July 2012 Moms

Epidural side effects

Has anyone experienced side effects from their epidural? Ever since having N, I've had pain from my lower back all the way down to and including the soles of my feet. Sometimes it's really bad.

Now I do have other medical issues, so it very well could be unrelated to the epi. I guess I was wondering if this sounds like anything anyone else experienced and if so how long it lasted (assuming my problem is epi related).

Oh, and I do have an appointment with the doctor, but not until the 8th so I figured I'd ask you ladies while I'm waiting. :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Epidural side effects

• lilsquirt75lilsquirt75 member
    edited December 2013
    eafogel said:
    Has anyone experienced side effects from their epidural? Ever since having N, I've had pain from my lower back all the way down to and including the soles of my feet. Sometimes it's really bad. Now I do have other medical issues, so it very well could be unrelated to the epi. I guess I was wondering if this sounds like anything anyone else experienced and if so how long it lasted (assuming my problem is epi related). Oh, and I do have an appointment with the doctor, but not until the 8th so I figured I'd ask you ladies while I'm waiting. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lilsquirt75lilsquirt75 member
    edited December 2013
    eafogel said:
    Has anyone experienced side effects from their epidural? Ever since having N, I've had pain from my lower back all the way down to and including the soles of my feet. Sometimes it's really bad. Now I do have other medical issues, so it very well could be unrelated to the epi. I guess I was wondering if this sounds like anything anyone else experienced and if so how long it lasted (assuming my problem is epi related). Oh, and I do have an appointment with the doctor, but not until the 8th so I figured I'd ask you ladies while I'm waiting. :)

• Loading the player...
  • My BFF had a lot of the same symptoms you're describing. She wasn't right for a while after, and she's convinced that the med student who put in the epidural messed up. This was about 4 years ago, but I think her random pain lasted about 3 months or so.
  • elizdg said:

My BFF had a lot of the same symptoms you're describing. She wasn't right for a while after, and she's convinced that the med student who put in the epidural messed up. This was about 4 years ago, but I think her random pain lasted about 3 months or so.

It's nice to know that if I'm experiencing what she did that it does eventually go away! I'm sorry she went through it though.

• LaBe44a said:

I didn''t have pain, but numbness in my left heel for quite some time.  Nothing major, but when I would shave my legs, I couldn't really feel the razor and where it was.  Not sure if I described that well, sorry.  Hope you get something figured out for your pain.

I understand what you are saying! That's really weird. How long did it last? It would totally flip me out if my legs were numb like that.

• Side note @LaBe44a...I've always referred to you in my head as "J Muffin." It amuses me and brings a smile to my face when I see your icon/avatar thingy.

• I had to have two epis because the first didn't take on one side.  I also herniated a disc in my back that was pressing on a nerve and had numbness and pain down one leg to my toes.  It required surgery because the pain became debilitating 3 months later. I don't think one had to do with the other, but in case your pain is not epi related, it may be spinal and I would call the doctor before your appointment to see if they think it might be something worse that might take PT to go away.

>>>---FSU--->

• Could definitely be the epi. I'm sorry you're feeling that! Until your appt, maybe try some yoga? It sounds similar to the pattern of sciatic pain, so maybe some pigeon type poses would help, as they do for sciatica. Hope you get some relief soon!

• Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely talk to my doc about it and see what we can figure out.

• Not from the epi, but I get this pain all the time from a bulging disc in my lower back. Physical therapy has helped me a lot. I hope it gets better for you!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"