Preemies

Soon to have preemies

I think I just need to actually type out the information we received today to help me process!!

At 26 weeks I had pprom with a water break and I have been in the hospital ever since. Our plan has been to deliver between 32-34 weeks.

The past week I have been leaking more (I still wouldn't say a lot!) and my crotch hurts horribly!!!

Today we had an appointment with our perinatologist. He was shocked at how low our little girl is and said she can't get any lower without coming out. She is the one that is ruptured and her fluid levels are low and lower than what they were. I seen him measure anywhere between 1.5-2 cm only! The girl is measuring 3 lbs 5 oz and the boy is 3 lbs 9 oz.

My OBGYN stopped in and informed me he talked with our perinatologist and our plan has changed. We are now delivering at 32 weeks via C-section. At this point I won't be receiving the steroid booster shot as they don't think it is necessary. I will receive some magnesium on the way to the OR. My OBGYN and perinatologist both said they wouldn't be surprised if I go into labor before 32 weeks and are starting to seem less optimistic! My OBGYN asked if 32 weeks was like 8 days away and I laughed and said no...13 days! He then said well 30 weeks 1 day is better than 26.

Things really just got VERY real.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

Re: Soon to have preemies

• I'm sorry you may be delivering sooner than you had hoped, but what your doctor said (rather bluntly) is true. Your babies' NICU time will be significantly shorter now and their health will be better. I had my DD at 31 weeks 3 days and after a week on CPAP she was just a feeder and a grower. She was 3lbs 11oz at birth and came home exactly one month later at 4lbs 10oz. You've done a great job keeping those babies in and you'll hopefully keep them in a bit longer! My thoughts. & prayers are with you and your babies!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Hmmmm... I'm befuddled they don't feel the steroid shots are necessary. I think I'd be pushing for them or asking for a great explanation. My LO was born at 31w0d and we were lucky enough to get both shots in. The magnesium isn't fun but worth it. Hopefully you can keep 'em baking a little longer.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Loading the player...
  • @LaciJaxx

I've had the series of 2 steroid shots already. They don't think I will need the booster.

• I understand your frustration and disappointment, somewhat. I had pPROM at 29w6d and made it a few days to 30w2d before he nearly was born in my hospital bed.  (They did not check me after triage after the rupture to prevent infection, so there's no telling how long I'd been fully dialated and ready to go.)
    I'd really ask more about the steroids. I'm trying to recall what I was told with my twins, but I think they don't want to give them sooner than 3 weeks apart? But, I DO know, that when I was triaged this go around, I was immediately given my first injection and started on a 24 hr mag drip. I was given the second shot 12 hours later, rather than waiting the full 24 hours between shots. Granted, I had not had any steroids with this pregnancy prior to the ones they gave me post-pprom.
    Little guy still required "some" assistance, but nothing like we could have faced without the steroids. Also, the steroids sort of "insulate" the brain to help prevent neuro bleeds.
    Yes, the mag also helps with this, too, but if you could get the double whammy, it's worth it, in my opinion.
    I hope and pray that you do make it to your scheduled csection. !!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Thank you very much everyone! I think sometimes I need to be reminded how far we have come already!!!! Your input, advice, thoughts, and prayers, help immensely and mean sooo much!!!

• My first DS came at 27 weeks, he's now almost 3 and is a little spitfire! No long term delays. The extra time your littles have had in utero is going to serve them so well in terms of NICU stay! Good job momma!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh... my bad!!!! :-)

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"