Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

traveling with an infant?

I am cross-posting this from the 2nd tri board since the issue has to do with baby when he is about 3 months. TIA for your input!

I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby, due April 18. My FIL told us at Christmas that he'd like to plan (and pay for!) a family vacation to Riviera Maya this summer. My initial reaction is that it would be crazy to travel to Mexico in the summer with a 3-ish month old baby. (We're located in PA, so it would be a 3-4 hour plane ride). Then I started thinking that I really don't know what it's like to have a baby yet, and maybe I am overthinking. Of course, if we planned the trip, we would get travel insurance so that if baby was sick or too fussy at that age to go, we could back out. What do any of you think? Has anyone vacationed with babies that age? The positives that I can think are that he will still be small enough that he won't be bored, teething, need tons of toys, and it will be summer so he hopefully won't have a cold or any of the yucky, germy sickies that are going around this time of year. Negatives will be that I feel like I'd have to lug a ton of stuff (probably true at any baby age), it would be really hot to have him outside there, and babies are unpredictable in general. I don't want him to get sick on the plane.  I've heard some people say that at 3 months they've settled in to a nice routine where mom and dad know what they're doing and baby sleeps a little more regularly, and it's before the baby needs solid foods, is mobile, can throw tempter tantrums, etc. The more I think about it, the more I feel like it would be worse to wait a year and do it when he's that age. Am I crazy for considering this? I don't want to be naive but I don't want to pass up the opportunity for a free family trip to a beautiful resort if I'm being overprotective. Any advice from any moms out there?

Re: traveling with an infant?

• Options
    taraleannetaraleanne member
    edited December 2013
    I think you could do it.  It will just take patience and planning. I took my baby at 3 months old on a 10 day road trip and he did great. We had a wonderful time!  As long as we kept the routine the same as home and followed HIS cues, HIS schedule and HIS needs, we were all happy. It was different but it was also fun and I don't regret it at all. Hubby and I really got to relax away from home and not worry about dishes/housework etc... when baby was sleeping.  At 3 months my baby still slept long hours during the day, really didn't need much in terms of gear and wasn't moving and as distracted as he is now.  I would have totally taken him on a beach vacation. In fact, we'll be doing so in a month when he's 7.5 months old!   I think it would have been easier as a 3 month old now that he's so distracted, is eating solids and will no doubt be crawling in a month! 

I don't think you are crazy at all, I think it's a good age to travel. You just have to do things babies way. I have a ton of friends who took their babies on beach vacations around 3-6 months, all successfully.   

You could book it, but buy cancellation insurance. (and trip interruption and extra health insurance) Or some insurance that you can change or delay the trip with minimal penalty) Since it's still aways a way, I won't post all my suggestions on what you could bring and do to make the trip possible but feel free to private message me then and I will give you more tips.

• Options
    Oh, I should also say, that when my baby was 1 and 2 months old I considered NOT doing our roadtrip but by 3 months things were really falling into place and I'm so glad we did it!  We've done a lot of travelling with baby already, by car (long and short distance) and plane. Planning and patience made it a breeze really. (and if you are with family then you have even MORE help so that's even better!) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is 15 weeks old.  He's been teething for the past few weeks, absolutely miserable, and is in such a routine that any disturbance in it (like family coming into town and him missing a nap) screws him up for a week straight. 

Every baby is different but I definitely wouldn't be taking a long vacation with him at this age.  I wouldn't be able to enjoy it at all.  Just one night away from home to go pick up my family from the airport (3 hour drive each way with a night spent in a hotel to break up the trip) made a very angry, overtired baby that took a few days to get back to his normal, which then was disturbed at Christmas and we started all over again.
    This
  • Options
    ^^ very good point above about sun exposure.  This can be easily managed with a few gadgets and your diligence. We started taking our baby when he was 2 weeks old to our lake house in the highs of summer and never once did the sun hit his body. I don't worry about the heat in these places because big resorts are air conditioned and it's always several degrees cooler in the shade BUT you would be spending more time indoors anyway - you won't be sitting on a beach or by the pool sipping cocktails all day.

• Options
    Go.  I would.  It's not going to be as relaxing as it would be sans kids, but totally manageable if you're patient and keep realistic expectations.  :)
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would go. You'll have family there to help you. Travelling with a baby is hard but I'm sure it'll still be worth going. All babies are different, but my LO was really good at 3 months. (4 months though...major sleep regression that is still going a month later). 
  • Options
    Some things to consider are vaccines (which ones will LO have at that point? what disease are risky in that area?), feedings (will you have safe water for formula?  will you be breastfeeding?  how will you wash bottles/pump parts?), and medical care (what will you do if LO gets sick and needs to see a doctor?).  It's really just a matter of how comfortable you are with the answers to those questions.  I personally would not take that trip with a 3 month old, but I have a friend who took her child to India at 6 weeks.

Whether travelling is "easy" (ex. crying baby) will just depends on your LO's temperament and there's no way to predict that!  One things is for sure though - you'll need to pack a lot of stuff!
  • Options
    noelani42noelani42 member
    edited December 2013
    I can tell you I had big plans to take my LO to Hawaii at 2 months but ended up with pretty severe postpartum anxiety which made the trip seem unfathomable...so we didn't go...she's now 3.5 months, my PPA has settled down, and we are going on our first overnight trip tomorrow for 1 night to a hotel 1 hour away...I'm a little anxious but nothing like I would have been just a month ago...my point is that there's no way to know how you're going to feel once LO is here...so much changes once they come
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We are taking our 4mo to Mexico in a few weeks. He's a really good traveller and generally easy going. Talked to the dr and he said as long as he's up to date as possible on his vaccines we are good. I'm going with the mindset that it won't likely be as relaxing but it won't be -30 either. We also have a 2.5yo that is coming and truthfully I'm more worried about travelling with him than the baby.
  • Options
    I'd either go when LO is that small or wait 2 yrs and go without her. There's nothing relaxing about vacationing w kids. A non-mobile baby is about as easy as it's gonna get for the foreseeable future. Taking a toddler on a plane is so so so much more difficult than a baby. It sucks the life out of you.

• Options
    I have an incredibly easygoing 4 month old and I wouldn't do this with her. We've been in a developmental leap/growth spurt for a month which makes everything more difficult, and as PP said, getting out of routine just totally screws her up. Shes not sleeping through the night yet, so im exhausted all the time, and she sleeps worse when we travel. There's other things to think about - the sun in Mexico is much, much stronger, and a 3 month old can't wear sunblock yet, so you'll need to be incredibly vigilant about keeping her covered. Also, you'll want to find out what kind of paperwork you'll need to take a baby out of and into the US and Mexico. Research that now, because if you need a passport you'll have to apply fast. It took two months just for LOs SS number to come.
    This. I think traveling to NYC contributed to DD and I having nursing issues. She slept well but between the airports and city lights, she had quite a lot of stimulation and she was tired for days after. Actually, looking back she did quite well compared to our Christmas trip. It was an 8 hr drive there 11 hrs back, she slept almost the entire ride back, but it's been 5 days and she's still recovering. Plus I let her stay with my mom which is a different issue. 

• Options
    My LO is 4 months old and we've done three airplane trips with her so far. The hardest part for us is if there is a time change but I left her on pacific time so on the east coast she would go to bed late and get up late. Keep your expectations low knowing that everything will take longer. I would go.

• Options
    I think you definitely could if you wanted to but that being said I wouldn't. I feel the trip would most likely end up being work for you and not that enjoyable. I would also be afraid to take LO out in the sun. Its hard to keep them completely covered at all times and you can't use sunblock at that age. Good luck on whichever you decide.
  • Options
    It's more work than vacation but can be done. We moved LO to the Caribbean permanently at 8 weeks. She did great with the massive climate change, and we use big sun hats (Sunday play hats from amazon), SPF rash guards (iplay from amazon), and we do sometimes use sunscreen also. I know, you're not supposed to use sunscreen until 6 months, but I feel that it can't be worse than getting a sunburn, so I judiciously use it to cover skin like hands that aren't covered by our barrier methods. LO was great on the plane, and our flights were two x 3 hrs each. Do the best you can to keep the routine and follow baby's cues. Know that you'll be doing a lot of child care and not a lot of laying in the sun, going ATV riding, swimming, etc. As long as you're fine with that and have a laid back baby like I do, you'll be alright.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Oh, and get on that passport ASAP. We barely got ours in time to travel at 8 weeks. Push to get your birth cert as early as possible (ours still took 4 weeks even with me calling twice weekly to check on it), and expedite the passport if you want to get it in time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    If you want to make it work, it will :) Every baby is different but will adjust eventually. I'm taking my son to Germany in March, which will put him at almost 4 months. Sure I'm anxious about it but he'll be just fine.
  • Options
    DS used to nap anywhere and everywhere if he was tired. He was bottle fed and would knock out easily with a bottle and some rocking. DD is SO hard to put to sleep! I have to pull my whole boob out (she hates covers and any modest nursing shirts) and if it is too bright or noisy she won't eat or sleep. I wouldn't take her but it would have been fine with DS. If the family is really ok with you backing out at the last minute then I guess you could go ahead and book it.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    I agree with those who said not to go. Even with easy going babies, you never know what might upset them or overstimulate them outside and so far away from home. If LO is miserable, then pretty much everyone is miserable. Maybe plan a shorter trip and do that one closer to a year or two when LO can enjoy swimming etc.
  • Options
    I'm actually so surprised at how many people have suggested not to go...they have valid points of course but I think if you have cancellation insurance and proper medical insurance it would be a great time. We started travelling with LO at 3m and it was just fine!  Everyone has a different perception though. If you decide to book, just have an out-option.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"