Pregnant after IF

My Ditzy MIL Strikes Again

***RANT WARNING***

Okay, so some of you ladies know about my ditzy-but-not-ill-meaning MIL who said some stupid crap about not buying stuff for the twins yet because *what if*
On Christmas, the same normally sweet (but dumb as a rock) lady told me it's time to start losing the weight now, before the babies are born.  Does the idiocy of this woman know no bounds?  
When I informed her that actually, in my second trimester with twins, I'm supposed to be gaining 1.5 lbs a week, she looked at me like I was from outer space.  "Really?!?!"  LOL  Anyone else been told they need to lose the baby weight *BEFORE* the babies are born, or is my MIL the only clueless one on the planet?
m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
"All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
"I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16

Re: My Ditzy MIL Strikes Again

• I am 5'4 and started at 195lbs, pregnant with twins. My OB said my weight gain goal should be between 20-30lbs. They said to not try to loose weight just make good choices.

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• I remember your other post. WTH?? Lose weight while you're pregnant with twins?! She really is clueless! You must have the patience of Job!

Me: 42. DH: 46.

1st Pregnancy: MC, 11/19/00.

2nd Pregnancy: DS born 04/10/06.

3rd Pregnancy: CP, 03/11.

4th Pregnancy: MMC, D&C 11/30/11, Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 4.

5th Pregnancy: Ectopic, 2 doses of Methotrexate unsuccessful, surgery 4/10/12, right tube removed.

Tried Letrozole January 2013-July 2013 (including 2 IUIs), all BFN.  After 2 1/2 years of trying for child #2, decided to "give up" after July cycle, based on AMA.

August 16, 2013:  BFP our first month of "not trying!"  Still in shock.  Beta #1 (14dpo): 183.  Beta #2 (17dpo):  611.  Ultrasound 8/30/13: baby measured 6 weeks, 1 day, heart rate of 118 bpm! 
    Ultrasound 9/13/13:  8 weeks, heart rate of 176!
    Baby is due 4/26/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • MJC1116MJC1116 member
    edited December 2013
    OMG. I don't know if I would burst out laughing or reply with a horribly sarcastic response like, "Sure! Why don't we go to Weight Watchers together?!" 
    Losing weight before the babies? I don't know if I've heard anything more ridiculous. 
    Ignore it. People are ignorant. I've never been told anything like that -- it's always the opposite... EAT! Put on weight! It's the only time in your life it's acceptable! 
    FWIW, with a singleton, my OB wants me to put on between 22-26 lbs. Baby is measuring almost 2 weeks ahead, and DD was a "big" baby (she was only 8 lb 1 oz) and since 2nd babies are usually bigger, OB doesn't want me to gain too much. I would imagine that with twins you would have to gain more than that! 
    Embrace your body! You are carrying two beautiful lives inside. I say go out and buy a big cake or ice cream sundae and indulge in it in front of your MIL -- or take pictures and send them to her. Bonus points if the cake or ice cream is all over your face. :)
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• Jenn06L80 said:
    I am 5'4 and started at 195lbs, pregnant with twins. My OB said my weight gain goal should be between 20-30lbs. They said to not try to loose weight just make good choices.
    @Jenn06L80 - According to both my high-risk OB and also multiples expert Dr Barbara Luke in What to Expect With Twins, Triplets, or Quads, even bigger ladies should put on a minimum of 35 lbs with a twin pg, and the majority of it should be during the 2nd tri.  The Institute of Medicine says obese women pregnant with twins should gain between 25-42 lbs.  Part of the reasoning is that in the 3rd tri, it's so hard to eat because you're stomach is cramped - so you need to put the weight on the babies now.  I'm 5'9", and gained weight with the IF treatments, so I started at 213 - then lost 10 lbs the 1st tri from so-called MORNING sickness, LOL.  My doc says that a lot of OBs tell women with singletons to gain 20-25 and a little more than that with twins, but the danger of preemies and low birth weight is so high with twins, that you should basically eat as much healthy food as possible, with lots of proteins and healthy fats.  They say you can always deal with extra weight after the babies are born, and it's totally worth it to have 6 lb twins that don't have to stay in the NICU.  BTW - I'm not trying to override your OB, just sharing what I've been told.  My goal is to have two healthy babies - I'll worry about my waistline later.  

IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • MILs can be so dumb.

Unless she had twins herself I would tell her to mind her own business

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Coming in from SAIF...
    I am 5'0 and was 123 lbs pre-preg.
    On delivery day, I was 190! (I was pretty swollen though). I lost it all very quickly--I got down to 125 by 3 months pp, and down 116 by the time the twins were 6 months old.
    Your MIL is crazy. ;-)
    Me: 30, Dx Unexplained/hypothalamic amenorrhea
    DH: 31, normal!
    April/May 2011: Menopur + Ovidrel +TI = BFN
    Oct 2011: Menopur + Hcg +IUI = BFP!
    Beta #1 (13dpiui)= 129.7, Beta #2 (15 dpiui)= 305
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome!
    My Blog

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • That's insane.

• Wow she is nuts! My friends parents are weight obsessed and after she had the baby her mother told her to give the baby water or it would get fat like her....

Wow. Just, wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"