Stay at Home Moms
Options

Share your favorite home remedies here

So I've struggled with acid reflux since my early 20s. It never seems to be long lasting--it will be really bad for a bit, ill do a 14 day treatment of Prevacid and ill be fine minus needing some tums here and there with something spicy. I got a stomach bug last week and it triggered my reflux bad afterwards. I remember reading that apple cider vinegar helps it (although it sounds counterproductive, lol) so I read on how much to take and when. The reflux was gone in three days vs the two weeks the meds would take to fully work. I was reading of the added health benefits and have decided to add it to my arsenal of crazy hippie remedies I take daily. Lol. A tie for second on great remedies would be kefir. My dd has an autoimmune disease and was getting sick twice a month or more. We started her on kefir (its a lactose free drinkable yogurt containing 12 different strains of probiotics) and she's been sick once in the past six months. It also cured her chronic constipation as well.

Share some more hippie remedies here. :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Share your favorite home remedies here

• Options
    My hubby has terrible reflux & takes prescription meds twice a day, it's not helping him anymore. What did you do with the acv? I'd love to try it for him. Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You put a teaspoon in a cup of water and drink it 2xs a day--before bed and when you wake up in the morning before you eat. Eta--some people report it takes a few days to work and hurts before it feels better but that wasn't my experience. Just an FYI though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

my dad swears by the acv for acid reflux also, he use to be on meds but not since drinking the acv!

I would like to hear peoples home remedies for croup/colds, my boys get croup like its their job!

• Options
    @kc where do you get the kefir? My DD also has chronic constipation and is currently on Miralax which I don't love due to the fact it hasn't been thoroughly studied. Thanks!
  • Options
    mnnice said:

my dad swears by the acv for acid reflux also, he use to be on meds but not since drinking the acv!

I would like to hear peoples home remedies for croup/colds, my boys get croup like its their job!

Definitely the kefir. My kiddo had a few bouts of croup and chronic colds before we started. It's helped a ton.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    CnAmom said:
    Remedies for anything? You can avoid a hangover by drinking a crapton of water right before going to bed. If you get a hangover anyway, bread and honey will absorb the excess alcohol and ease the nausea.

Good one for NYE approaching. :) I've heard of the water before bed/bread in the morning but never heard of honey for helping nausea. Will have to remember that.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @kc where do you get the kefir? My DD also has chronic constipation and is currently on Miralax which I don't love due to the fact it hasn't been thoroughly studied. Thanks!

It should be at any local grocery store. It's in the yogurt section in a bottle. If not, you can find it at whole foods for sure. Just a warning is that its pretty pricey--it's 3.99 for 32oz. I found it at our local discount grocery store chain for $2.79 so you may want to check there as well though they keep it with the milk alternatives. If you find it works its possible to make at home pretty easily for low cost. I'm just too lazy for that, lol.
  • Options
    alli2672alli2672 member
    edited December 2013
    @kristen714 I think you can just make it.  I have never made it before, but I always see it in cheesemaking stuff.  It looks pretty easy: add cultures and wait:
    https://www.cheesemaking.com/Kefirdetails.html

My doctor told me once to gargle saltwater for a sore throat.  It always works.  It takes a few hours, but then it's gone forever (or until you get sick again). 
  • Options
    CnAmom said:
    CnAmom said:
    Remedies for anything? You can avoid a hangover by drinking a crapton of water right before going to bed. If you get a hangover anyway, bread and honey will absorb the excess alcohol and ease the nausea.

Good one for NYE approaching. :) I've heard of the water before bed/bread in the morning but never heard of honey for helping nausea. Will have to remember that.
    I seriously have had one hangover and that was before I knew about the water thing. I am eternally grateful to the person who pointed me in that direction.

The water trick fails me. Lol. Once I take that sip of that fourth drink I am destined for hangoverville, population KC no matter what. If I pace myself, stick to three drinks or less and have a glass of water with each drink I'm fine.
  • Options
    @alli2672 thanks! I will look at the store first and if it works I will definitely try and make some.
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Another Kefir question, how much do you give your daughter? Does she just drink it plain or in something? Planning to look for some.

I mix it in a smoothie. We do 6oz a day.
  • Options
    Ditto the gargling saltwater for a sore throat. I also eat garlic if I think I am getting sick. To treat thrush/yeast infections I've used plain yogurt (eating and topically). Gentian violet works wonderfully for thrush. (But beware the purple stains!)

I am sure I have more, but the kiddos are calling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Love apple cider vinegar. I take 2 tbs 3x daily for blood pressure and to prevent stomach virus.i also use coconut oil on lip and skin. I smell like a girl scout cookie.
    E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

• Options
    I use peppermint oil for headaches

Pickle juice for burns

Love coconut oil- lots of uses.
  • Options
    hls19 said:

Pickle juice for burns

I've never heard of pickle juice for burns--I use toothpaste. Will have to try this one, I'm always burning myself. Lol
  • Options
    KC_13 said:
    hls19 said:

Pickle juice for burns

I've never heard of pickle juice for burns--I use toothpaste. Will have to try this one, I'm always burning myself. Lol
    same!

I found this out when I was serving in college and dropped an entire shepherds pie on my arm-  omg it was horrible. it had just come out of the oven and the filling was all over my arm. the chef put pickle juice on it before someone drove me to the ER.
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Is it just as efficient to drink the ACV as a shot vs in a glass of water? I don't know if I could stomach it but I have acid reflux terrible and would like to give it a go.

It's just a teaspoon--I don't see why not. What I read called for it to be mixed with 4oz of water which I can easily chug. Guess I learned something useful in college. ;)
  • Options
    2-Step2-Step member
    edited December 2013
    DS had chronic ear infections and after multiple antibiotic rounds I read that antibiotics can actually make chronic infections worse, so I did some research and decided to try garlic oil drops. 

He used to get an ear infection every single time he was sick. The last two times he started saying his ear hurt I did warm garlic oil drops and he never developed an infection. This is the first time he has gone four months without one! 

My neighbor actually told me about it, she said it worked wonderfully for her son and he never got an infection again. I guess garlic is a natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory and using it to spot treat helps the ear heal without using antibiotics which kill off the good bacteria and create and endless cycle.
  • Options
    CnAmom said:

Pickle juice for burns

I read pickle juice for bums and I was really confused. Burns actually makes more sense.
    for bums? hahaha. that would be...awkward. hahaha
  • Options
    Tea tree oil for athlete's foot and toe nail fungus.

Coconut oil for diaper rash.

White vinegar as a fabric softener.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    CnAmom said:
    I'm sorry to disappoint you. Some people I know like to call me a little old lady and offer to buy me aspereme and orthopedic shoes.

If you're old I'm old too. I took water aerobics with a bunch of 60+ year old women (and one pregnant chick) for a year until DDs therapy schedule changed and I couldn't make it. Lol
  • Options
    gwapes said:

CnAmom said:

I'm sorry to disappoint you. Some people I know like to call me a little old lady and offer to buy me aspereme and orthopedic shoes.

Lol.....I need orthopedic shoes... . :(( I'm stuck wearing Crocs except when they rub my scar raw. 

I have an appointment to get custom orthodectics next week! They offer shoes too but I thought I could still wear cute shoes this way.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    lexusolsenlexusolsen member
    edited December 2013
    gwapes said:

gwapes said:

CnAmom said:

Lol.....I need orthopedic shoes... . :(( I'm stuck wearing Crocs except when they rub my scar raw. 

I have an appointment to get custom orthodectics next week! They offer shoes too but I thought I could still wear cute shoes this way.

Lucky you!!

I can't find cute shoes in my size w/o orthotics So I've just come to the realization that im SOL when it comes to matters of my foot lol

Your shoes will be worth the relief though! I can't wait for my joints and low back to feel better. Even if it is costing me a few months of my "fun" money.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was going to say the garlic oil in the ears remedy too.  My dad is a chiropractor and that always worked for us growing up.

This is probably well known, but we put vitamin E oil on cuts to help prevent scarring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"