Working Moms

anyone use a retinol product?

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited December 2013 in Working Moms
i have been breaking out on my chin like crazy in the last year and decided to try a retinol cream (.5, so not a high dose) and was advised to use it just a couple times a week on the affected areas or my skin would dry out really badly. I used it one time, on friday night nad this morning noticed my chin has all this flaky stuff going on, almost looks like little hairs, I don't know if I should try to exfoliate it off or what? I read the instructions & don't recall seeing that I was supposed to rinse it off after applying but I was just looking around online & saw something that said you should so maybe that is what I did wrong...now I'm a little afraid to use it again...(though from reading online, peeling in the beginning is typical & you have to use it for awhile to let your skin get used to it before you'll see effects...is this other peoples' experience?)

any tips?

Re: anyone use a retinol product?

• retinol is very drying so thats not surprising. and if you are in a cold winter climate that will make it even worse. stay away from exfoliating and just use lots of oil free moisturizer.
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited December 2013
    djm31012 said:
    retinol is very drying so thats not surprising. and if you are in a cold winter climate that will make it even worse. stay away from exfoliating and just use lots of oil free moisturizer.
    but do I keep it up a couple times a week and eventually it'll normalize again? also really nothing I can do to get these flakes off my face, they are hideous? I'm so glad I only did this area on my chin yuck
  • Loading the player...
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    edited December 2013
    There will be an adjustment period for your skin to get used to the new product. I agree with @djm31012 -it's very drying, remember to moisturize. I use topical creams at night and moisturize before bed (after the cream dries) and again in the a.m. before applying make-up.

ETA: I use CeraVe PM and Cetaphil moisturizer. Sometimes in the winter I will use Aquafor when it's really dry and flaky.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes id say aquaphor...and i would use the retinol no more than 2-3 times a week. If you want a topical treatment for acne thats a little bit less you can try benzoyl peroxide its not as harsh.
  • I used a retinol before I got pregnant and it dried my skin out just like you said. Use lots of moisturizer and use the retinol product very sparingly.

• There's def an adjustment. I agree with using it 2 nights a week for now. I use cetaphil to wash in the morning. Use that sunblock!!!

I've been using it for years, minus pregnancy, and think it's a great product. But it's not perfect and it will take some time to get used to it.

Just use the sunscreen religiously.
  • Thanks all! I also have melasma so I already use SPF when out in the sun and moisturizer w/ SPF... would love it if this would help clear up my chin issues though. I know it has anti aging effects but I can't imagine using it all over the place to get those benefits, ugh! Maybe If I could hide inside for a few months while my face adjusted. LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"