2nd Trimester

cold that turned into sinus infection - what do I do?

Hi! I am 17 weeks pregnant and have my ob appointment in the afternoon. I ran out of Singular which my doc told me to continue taking. Two days after I ran out of it, I caught a cold or really bad allergies. I took one Allegra (not the D) in the day time because my doc said that was ok to take. Then last night I took a Benadryl. This morning I noticed my mucus was colored and my nasal passages between my nose and mouth hurt. It feels dry too. I am wondering if I now have a sinus infection. I am prone to getting them around the winter, but I am worried that I cannot take any anitbiotics (what I was always prescribed). If I have sinus infection is it safe to take anitbiotics? I was going to let my ob know how I was feeling today. I just wanted to get a head start and ask you guys since I am worried.

Re: cold that turned into sinus infection - what do I do?

• If your doctor prescribes an antibiotic you should take it. They wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't safe.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Thank you! You make a great point:)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a bad sinus infection, too, just like pps mentioned. Doctor prescribed z-pack. Within 2 days I was feeling much better. Was also given the green light on Afrin nasal spray since I was horribly congested (worst congestion of my life). Only 6 sprays total, though, then stop. Dr. suggested 1 spray at night per nostril for 6 days, then stop. I only had to do 3 nights worth. Good luck. I was worried about antibiotics, too, but my ob reassured me that any infection is worse for the baby than antibiotics.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a voice actor and operatic voice teacher, I have a bit of experience with caring for the nasopharyngeal region, LOL.  Definitely take whatever antibiotics they prescribe, but in the meantime - flushing your sinuses with saline can be helpful in keeping the infection from getting worse and also hydrating your sinuses.  Never flush with tap water.  
    Blocking off air flow at the back of your throat, squeeze the saline into one nostril, tilt back your head and move the saline to the other side (feels weird if you've never done it before).  Repeat a few times.  Also, a steam tent over your head if it gets bad in the meantime.  It's worse for your baby and your body for an infection to get worse than to take antibiotics.  
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Hi! My doc prescribed me z pak and told me to use the sinus irigation and nasal strips so that I can sleep better. Thank you everyone for your advice and help!
  • Yes, antibiotics are fine. I had a cold earlier in the month that turned into a sinus infection and bronchitis, and my OB had me on a ton of meds. Over the course of 12 days I took Zyrtec, Allegra, Sudafed, Mucinex, Robitussin DM, and eventually a Z-Pak and codeine syrup for my cough.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I had one too and took apple cidar vinegar 3x per day and I noticed a difference right away. It was cleared up in no time
  • I had a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago, and my doc prescribed a zpack. They know what you can take and what isn't safe.
    Nov 2, 12 BFP, MMC followed by DNC Dec 6, 12. At BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I just finished doing a zpack for a sinus infect.  Doc said it was totally safe.  Hope you feel better. 
  • Neti pot
    Saline flush
    Steam treatment

Take all of whatever antibiotic you are prescribed. Good luck. I know it's miserable

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"