August 2013 Moms
Options

Talk to me about your toy box!

What do you use for toy storage? I'm looking at something nice I can keep under the TV in the living room. I'm thinking something along these lines: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13018900&cp=2255956.2273442.4213325.2256281&parentPage=family

I'm nervous- I don't want to spend that much on something cheap.... what do you use? I've also considered getting a cube furniture piece and putting in the fabric cubes? What do you think of that?

Any ideas are appreciated. Extra bonus points for pics :) TIA!
Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

Re: Talk to me about your toy box!

• Options
    This is under our tv. All my scrapbooks and photo albums. The pull out drawers are filled with toys. IKEA for the win!

• Options
    I use a toy chest from land of nod. It wasn't cheap but I like it because its good quality and looks like a piece of furniture, as opposed to just a toy chest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Zever000 said:

This is under our tv. All my scrapbooks and photo albums. The pull out drawers are filled with toys. IKEA for the win!

We do this!! Although.. I'd still like a big one for his room.. Thanks for posting- I'll be following :-)

Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    Zever000 said:

We have the tall one from ikea in his room with canvas cubes from toys r us. It works well for books and little toys.

We will be buying this from ikea soon because you can add on if need be.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Soleil3Soleil3 member
    edited December 2013
    Cubes are the way to go, otherwise once they are old enough, eeevverryything comes out of the box in search of that one specific toy. We have this https://www.sears.com/8-cube-organizer-with-bins/p-00875360000P?prdNo=1 Its super durable and well built
    image image

• Options
    In all seriousness I bought this at ikea long before I had children and it works great.

https://www.list4all.com/generationx/95__New_Ikea_storage_table__bed_end_chest_or_toy_box_Practical_storage_i45.php
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    We have a wooden one in her room that was made by a friend. I need to get something for the living room. I'm thinking just a big basket. I really don't have room for any more furniture in there.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options

I just have a fabric cube right now. It sits under my end table. I am looking for something nicer to put in the living room that matches my décor.

She also needs one for her room!

• Options
    We have a double storage ottoman. It's very nice but it's a pain if we have stuff on top that we have to remove to get to the toys. But we also have a cube from IKEA on the floor of his most used toys.

https://m.target.com/p/double-storage-ottoman-bench-black/-/A-10320235

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/50186388/
  • Options
    I like this thread for the future. Right now it's a small basket from bru.
  • Options
    I want this
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    Oh I also just got the toy hammock for the corner of LO's room.. It was 8 bucks and it goes nicely with the nautical theme ;-)
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    We have cube storage w fabric bins.

We also just stack clear plastic totes by themes: tools, trains, Legos, cars, and baby toys.

• Options
    We use the dragon bin in the living room and have the raccoon bin in the nursery. When the toys get bigger I will purchase something from land of nod....I'm obsessed with that store!

• Options

We use the dragon bin in the living room and have the raccoon bin in the nursery. When the toys get bigger I will purchase something from land of nod....I'm obsessed with that store!

We have the same racoon bin in the nursery (only the owl version). I use it for her laundry now, but we'll probably use it for toys later. Or I may buy another one :)

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Options
    We went with the cubes and fabric bins from Target for his nursery, but will probably have to get something else for the living room:

• Options
    FIL made LO a wooden toy box and painted it to match her room. It has her name on the top and FIL tried his best to paint a butterfly on it..so cute :)
  • Options
    I have an ottoman from Target that serves as our "coffee table." When DD1 was younger her toys were in that. It was more than enough for the first 18 months or so and now serves as the dress up bin and DD2's toys are in a basket on the floor. 

I also use a lot of baskets on shelves for toy storage. I prefer storage options that match my decor over stuff that looks like it belongs in a preschool. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is in hs room right now. It's currently housing baby supplies, but it will hold his toys, Books, whatever. I might get something for the living room too. The cubby is from ikea and the crates are from the container store.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    For the loving room, a big basket that matches our decor. I hate seeing toys all over so the basket is nice for keeping them in a specific place. Going to turn our spare/ guest room into a play room soon. Picture a big kids table in the center with the ABC's on the wall around the room and lots of "kid" like storage a bins/boxes.

• Options
    We use a wooden chest but for baby's toys in living room in only keep a few, and keep them in a fabric woven basket with handles (easy to move )

• Options

Now I have a picture for you. You can see the baskets on the shelves, DD2's basket to the left and the ottoman that's now dress up storage. (And DD1 who is clearly in the thick of playing dress up.) The chair on the left and DD2's basket aren't usually in that spot; things are re arranged because of the tree. 

We have a playroom, too, but I use more open storage on shelves in there. Stuff that wouldn't do well in a basket. 

DD2 doesn't have any toys in her room; I don't leave her in there to play. DD1 just recently asked that her dollhouse be moved to her room (so she doesn't have to share it during playdates) and that's the only toy up there. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ikea storage bench for his room - the drawer slides out so you can stack things on top. Nifty!

Ikea bookcase in the living room with storage baskets to hold small toys/blankies.
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Options

Now I have a picture for you. You can see the baskets on the shelves, DD2's basket to the left and the ottoman that's now dress up storage. (And DD1 who is clearly in the thick of playing dress up.) The chair on the left and DD2's basket aren't usually in that spot; things are re arranged because of the tree. 

We have a playroom, too, but I use more open storage on shelves in there. Stuff that wouldn't do well in a basket. 

DD2 doesn't have any toys in her room; I don't leave her in there to play. DD1 just recently asked that her dollhouse be moved to her room (so she doesn't have to share it during playdates) and that's the only toy up there. 
    Be honest, @BelhurstBride, is your house always that clean?

You would be shocked at the current state of mine! haha!

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    @magpie1986

There's currently a pile of blankets, pillows and random toys in the front room that DD1 stuck there preparation for a party she's planning. 

But pretty much, yes. I'm a little obsessive. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @magpie1986

There's currently a pile of blankets, pillows and random toys in the front room that DD1 stuck there preparation for a party she's planning. 

But pretty much, yes. I'm a little obsessive. 
    feel free to come clean my house at any time :)

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    oh, the fabric bins are on sale at ikea today only for $1.99 each, normally $5.99
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    We also use a storage ottoman. Matches the living room and large enough to store the toys he actually plays with now. When he gets bigger not sure it will work, but right now it's perfect!
  • Options
    I thought it was going to be dirty too. I guess tiredness needs to lose to dtd! Lol
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Well I saw there were 30 new comments on this and thought the convo must have changed topic. Nope...2 whole pages of toy storage discussion. You know you're a parent when...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"