3rd Trimester
Options

Any ladies with gestational diabetes?

What do you do for snacks? I'm tired of eating the same things all the time and am completely out of ideas. (Could also be the pregnancy brain kicking in.) Also, have any of you ladies started off okay with diet and exercise but ended up having to take meds further along? My numbers have been alright so far, but I've noticed them starting to creep up. Thanks for any advice. :)
Pregnancy Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Any ladies with gestational diabetes?

• Options
    My main go-to snack is greek yogurt and either string cheese or a hard boiled egg.

My peri said that GD/glucose intolerance peaks around 32 weeks. Medication might be necessary-I have been taking nightly insulin shots since my GD diagnosis, due to my fasting numbers being too high.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    Ill have one of these snacks peanut butter sandwich with wheat bread, string cheese with 7 wheat thins, 2 scramble eggs, side salad or make my own smoothie. It sure is tough at first and my numbers were high at first but got them down in a normal range.

I am 33.1 days and found out I had GD at 28 weeks. I wasn't exercising or dieting I was eating whatever ever I wanted. But I started eating healthier and walking a mile or 2 every other day and that has helped a lot but I still continue to take the pill.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I get stuck in a rut as far as snacks go so I'll be writing these down. :) I suppose if I do have to be put on meds, it's only for 6 or 7 more weeks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you do have to start taking meds, just be aware that it's probably nothing to do with your diet. The further along in pregnancy you are, the worse GD tends to get. I'm eating the same things I was eating a month ago, and my blood sugar has been higher. I've started to have to take insulin occasionally at meals, and my night dose keeps getting upped. It sucks, but it'll be over soon.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed gdm at 28 weeks ; I am on insulin; for snacks I would have fruits, oat and honey bar, Greek yogurts. Hope this help
  • Options
    I have not been put on insulin yet, and I only 2 weeks to go! For snacks I have yogurt, usually greek with an apple, rice cakes with PB and sometimes I add a few chocolate chips, and a cheese stick. For night time snacks I really have been into canned pineapple and a cheese stick for protein. The diet thing is such a pain in the bum, thank goodness it's only temporary!!
  • Options
    Madelyn0713Madelyn0713 member
    edited December 2013
    Most of my snacks are what was listed above - string cheese, apple with peanut butter (only in the afternoon), rice cake with peanut butter, 6 wheat thins with cheddar, hard boiled egg, air popped popcorn, carrots with French onion dip and a string cheese. I eat so much cheese. I feel like all I eat is cheese. Yogurt doesn't work well for me. I'm not on any meds but my numbers have been higher than normal (but still not actually high and are within range) this week but I've also been really, really sick, which has a big impact on glucose levels.
    Started TTC Summer 2008~ Started with RE Summer 2009~ October 2010 IUI-positive HPT & beta, c/p~ Natural pregnancy March 2013, m/c at 7 weeks, Trisomy 16~ Natural pregnancy June 2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My snacks are similar to those that the other girls have mentioned. Lots of cheese, lots of yogurt, some fruit here and there (paired with a protein) or sometimes a glucerna shake if i don't feel like trying at all.

I was put on medication for my fasting numbers being too high and I have been noticing my other numbers slightly creeping up lately. Not sure if its because I am moving along in my pregnancy or because I have had a bad cold the last few days. I'm 31 weeks now.

@JackieP1023 you said your peri says that GD peaks at 32 weeks, does it come down after that peak or does the intolerance stay elevated?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My snacks are similar to those that the other girls have mentioned. Lots of cheese, lots of yogurt, some fruit here and there (paired with a protein) or sometimes a glucerna shake if i don't feel like trying at all.

I was put on medication for my fasting numbers being too high and I have been noticing my other numbers slightly creeping up lately. Not sure if its because I am moving along in my pregnancy or because I have had a bad cold the last few days. I'm 31 weeks now.

@JackieP1023 you said your peri says that GD peaks at 32 weeks, does it come down after that peak or does the intolerance stay elevated?

I didn't specifically ask that question, although I did find, in my experience, that I had to watch my diet much closer at the beginning. I am almost 35 weeks now, and am able to be much more flexible with my numbers still behaving. I still pair a carb with a protein for snacks, but my meals I've been much more flexible. Yesterday, I had a chicken wrap for lunch (with a regular flour tortilla and breaded chicken!) and for dinner, mexican-including chips and salsa, rice, beans, and another flour tortilla! I was expecting a super high after dinner number, and it wasn't. It wasn't low by any means, but it was acceptable. If I would have eaten that 2-3 weeks ago, my numbers would have been through the roof! I think I will slowly start adding in the 'bad' things that I've not been able to eat, and see what happens.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    I eat a lot of the same things everyone else is mentioning. Try to work in a protein with all of them. Basically every day for snacks I have a greek yogurt and almonds in the morning, swiss cheese and triscuit crackers with a small piece of fruit in the afternoon and graham crackers with peanut butter and almond milk before bed. I'm 37 weeks and haven't had to be on any medications. Fasting numbers are good, luckily. Sometimes I find myself not eating enough carbs, which is just as bad. Too terrified of putting the baby at risk I guess. If you notice your numbers peaking at certain times (mine seem to be up after a big dinner), try getting a walk or moving around more. I've noticed even if I have some whole wheat pasta for dinner if I am moving around doing something, my numbers are better than if I am sitting watching TV. 
  • Options
    Found out I had GD on Christmas Eve. I am at 31 weeks. I was able to get my meter and some prelim diet info and am meeting with a dietician next week. So far I have really changed how I have been eating, and my numbers have been good. I wasn't eating enough throughout the day, and I wasn't really eating carbs besides fruit. I started adding whole grains to my diet and earing every few hours. For snacks I have had luck with plain yogurt and some nuts or an egg. Berries with nuts and yogurt is good too. I'm going to stick with what works in hopes that my numbers stay low. And yes, I agree, walking after meals really seems to help. So far I have been taking a 10-15 min walk after each main meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"