November 2013 Moms

Strange Shower Registry

I hope everyone is doing well and if Christmas is your cup of tea, I hope you all had a merry with your new squishies!

A family friend of my husband's is expecting.  She is just finished up her last semester of college and it is a surprise baby, but everyone is excited for her all the same.  She mentioned that she was having a shower in January.  We just got the invite today via Facebook for a shower that is on the 11th.  Whatever, no biggie.  Then, I went to look at her registry and it is about 50% baby stuff and 50% stuff you would find on a wedding registry (dishes, microwave, crock pot etc.).  I was really turned off by this.  There weren't some items on there I would think to see, like a stroller/car seat but there was a crockpot....  She also appears to be one of the hosts.  This is all not normal right?!  It's not just my sleep deprived self?!

Re: Strange Shower Registry

• I agree w you. I think its strange and a little tacky. IMO a baby registry is items you will use to care for your baby, not your opportunity to create a wishlist of general items you want.

BabyGaga

• Loading the player...
  • I don't want to be a douche.  I just feel like a baby registry should be for baby items, and I'm a little put off by the whole thing.  Maybe she was already given or purchased a lot of the items that I would expect to see on there, but I would still think that "house" gifts are a strange thing to add....
  • The hostess thing is poor etiquette but nowadays, not unheard of. I would feel uncomfortable putting things like a crock pot on a baby registry. The only thing even remotely for me was a set of baby bath supplies that included a moisturizer and lotion for the mommy.
  • If she doesn't have a crock pot I can almost understand some relative going, "Oh, you're going to be a mom? You NEED a crock pot!" It's seriously an essential time-saving tool for new mothers and *should* be sold in baby stores, I feel!

But dishes? No way. Get that sh*t yourself. I'm side-eyeing that.
    photo bannernew_zpsfb1f0d0b.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I even went back and read the invite again. It is just a baby shower and they aren't engaged. Weird.
  • I'm side eying the whole thing- FB invite, throwing it herself, gift grabby registry. However, I would go just to watch. Sounds like it could be a pretty interesting gathering!
  • Weird!  Yes, the baby registry should be for baby things.  I felt I was stretching it to include a few nursing related things - I can't imagine putting something like cookware on there!

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Well, at least it's not just me being a sleep deprived bitch.  We chose to send her the diaper bag off of her registry since it's the one we have and we love it.  Geez!
  • Facebook invite is she the only host or is she one of the host? Because for my shower the host did a Facebook invite and made me one of the host so I could invite my friends that she wasn't friends with but I wasn't hosting my own shower! As for the items on the registry that is weird, crock pot I can see because it does help new moms or anytime moms for that fact but the other stuff no way!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"