April 2013 Moms
Options

Benadryl?

Has anyone used it? I haven't asked the doc but really haven't had a need till now. Paige has had a cold for the past couple of days and today it's just a non stop runny nose and watery eyes. Feel like this would help. Anyone wih experience/success? Just go by the dosage on the package? I would call the nurse but would rather not wait till Monday

Re: Benadryl?

• Options
    I thought Benadryl was for allergies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From what I have read on the website that it works also for cold symptoms.?... Her nose is like a faucet and was hoping it would dry her up and give some relief. I know it's an antihistamine was hoping it might be helpful! Wish she could just blow her nose :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know a few moms on here have given Benadryl. I remember it from a cold post a couple months back. Unfortunately I don't remember what their peds suggested for dosing but if you look hard enough you could probably find it.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Options
    My pedi says Children's Benadryl is ok. 3mL every 4hr as necessary.
    CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    I think I remember someone saying 1/2 tsp
  • Options
    jss1482 said:

From what I have read on the website that it works also for cold symptoms.?... Her nose is like a faucet and was hoping it would dry her up and give some relief. I know it's an antihistamine was hoping it might be helpful! Wish she could just blow her nose :)

Oh I see. The nice thing about a runny nose is that it's actually escaping, versus congestion that won't leave. Can't give any advice on the Benadryl... At my hospital we can call the peds dept any time of day and they'll give advice. Maybe there's one you can call? Or a nurse line through your insurance?

• Options
    How much does your baby weigh? Also what is the concentration of the Benadryl that you have? The dosage we use at the hospital is based on weight. I can calculate the amt of mls to give if you give me the concentration.

Every four hrs is too frequent. Benadryl lasts a long time so usually it is given every six hrs but I would only give one dose to hold her over then call the doc early mon morning. If its given for a cold and it dries her up too much it can cause a sinus infection. Sometimes it's just better to let the cold run it's course but if you really wanna give it then give me the info and I can calculate the dose and amt to give in mls for you
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We have used benedryl, which was suggested by our pedi when Cam had a runny gunky nose. I believe they suggested 1/2 or 3/4 tsp every 6 hours as needed. I usually only gave it to him at bedtime.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Weird. When Rhys had an allergic reaction to salmon, the nurse told us not to give Benadryl because he was too young (this was around Thanksgiving). Anyway, I'm sure there's an after hours nurse you can talk to. I would call.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @pinottoparentgood what are u supposed to do for allergic reaction?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"