Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping and let down.

Help! I'm out of practice and am having a hard time pumping. Most of the time I don't get a let down and only pump a quarter of an ounce total from both sides. :(

So I need to pump more often so my body is used to it or what? I used to have no problem.

Possibly useful info. :
-Baby is 8 1/2 months.
-Membranes are practically new.
-Medela PISA.
-Pumping to boost supply due to a lazy eater who quits after the milk quits flowing easily.
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: Pumping and let down.

• Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes I have issues with letdown if I'm thinking about it too much. I now cover myself with one of her A+A blanket (so I'm not stressed about what is/isn't coming out), and then flip through photos and videos of LO on my phone.

And what pp said, too. I only get drops out of the side she has recently nursed from when I'm home and pumping infrequently.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In addition to what pp said, make sure you are giving yourself long enough with the pump. Sometimes I pump on the left for 10 or more minutes before I'll get a let down and get about an ounce and a half. Try pumping very first thing in the morning. I nurse LO on the left and pump on the right every morning and that baby-induced letdown is much better than anything I'll ever get from the pump. If you are pumping and not feeding baby at the same time, make sure you pump at a time where she hasn't eaten in at least an hour, and won't be eating for another hour. With her age, you could give her solids about an hour after she's nursed and use that time to pump, she she'll be held over a little bit from the solids. Or, pump after she has gone to bed for the night. I have a double pump, but I only single pump so that I can massage and compress the breast I am pumping, I find I can get at least another half ounce if not more that way.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pumping hands free might help too. That way you can massage your breasts to help get another let down.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    I pumped 6 ounces 4 hours after he went to bed tonight!!! Cross your fingers that my success will continue! :)

I reset the diaphragm in my pump and had some dark beer at dinner. Maybe one of those helped? I forgot about the dark beer trick. It worked well when my supply dipped months ago.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"