Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toy storage units

Seeking opinions from anyone who has a toy storage unit/shelving system - particuarly anyone with LOs who are in to dumping out their bins of toys!

We've just had large bins on the floor for DS's toys.  We need to get more of a system with smaller bins to help de-clutter and create more floor space his playroom, and hopefully to make it easier for him to find toys.  The options I'm considering are the Ikea shelving units that you slide the buckets in and out, almost like drawers, and the type of unit where the bins are open and kids can see what it is each one - like this one:   https://www.amazon.com/ECR4Kids-3-Tier-Storage-Organizer-Bins/dp/B000HY97N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388255524&sr=8-1&keywords=ecr4kids+3-tier+plastic+organizer+with+12+bins

Do you think it matters if they can actually see what is in each bin without having to pull it out?  Will they all still, inevitably, be dumped?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toy storage units

• Options
    We recently bought shelving units from Ikea with the drawers that slide in and out.  They were so easy to put together, and the bins are easy to clean.  We love them.  I don't think it matters at all if the bins are see through or not.  Your LO will learn so quickly where his toys are stored.  DS hasn't really tried to dump out the toys, but tomorrow's a new day... :)
  • Options

Dumping and transferring is a common activity for children at this stage. You might try offering an activity such as a sensory bin that has scoops, buckets, and sand (or even water or oatmeal).

As far as a toy box I prefer one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tot-Tutors-TB816-Store-All-Natural/dp/B003R50PMS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1388270996&sr=8-15&keywords=toy+box

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    of the 2 links I think i'd prefer the tot tutor.  We had something similar to the one you posed with just baskets, but there are so many toys that don't fit on baskets and started taking over the floor around the baskets.  Now We have a large shelving unit.  I put the baskets in there to hold things like little people, puzzles, train tracks, but the shelves are great for the trucks, shape sorters, and other things that don't fit in the buckets
  • Options
    We have the ikea system with the plastic buckets that slide in. We like them ...after having them over a year now I finally labeled them yesterday. Mainly so DH knows where to put things instead of in a big pile in the middle of the room for me to put away, lol. We have green, pink, and blue buckets ... The kids at 1 & 2 yrs know exactly where things are so clear is not necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options
    We have the ikea system with the plastic buckets that slide in. We like them ...after having them over a year now I finally labeled them yesterday. Mainly so DH knows where to put things instead of in a big pile in the middle of the room for me to put away, lol. We have green, pink, and blue buckets ... The kids at 1 & 2 yrs know exactly where things are so clear is not necessary.
    This sounds like the Trofast - we have the white & red buckets. All different sizes and we have the part that you can screw into the wall as a shelf, too, for smaller pieced toys. We also have no reason to label or to see inside, not rocket science. 

YES, that's it. I couldnt attach a link.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options
    We use closetmaid fabric drawers, and currently have a 9-cube closetmaid shelf in her room.  I like that I can't see what's inside them - probably because I'm a teeny bit OCD and like things to look clean and uncluttered :P I agree with PP that it's developmentally appropriate for kids this age to dump everything, so don't focus on that aspect!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not overly worried about the dumping and get that it's appropriate for this age; I was more just curious if seeing the toys they want helps minimize it.  Sounds like a trip to Ikea is in order!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up biting the bullet and investing in the Cameron shelving system from PBK https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/build-your-own-cameron-wall-system/?cm_src=AutoCatRel I like that it grows with the kids and their needs. When DD was smaller it was more toys, but now she uses most of the top shelves for her books and the bottom open spaces are for bins of toys. I'm waiting for another sale and I'll buy one for DS's room as well.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"