Babies on the Brain
Options

Let's talk Pink (the store)

At what age would you let your DD shop there? Brought to you by my judging ass at the mall

Re: Let's talk Pink (the store)

• Options
    Um, never? Judge away :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Allie and I ran into girls from the school. They were carrying Pink bags. My school stops at 6th grade. :-S
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh I don't know, that's tough. I know I started getting some panties from VS Pink in high school, but I don't recall doing so in middle school. Maybe it wasn't around in middle school yet? I can't remember. I guess maybe I would let my daughter get panties there when she is 16? Last year I bought underwear at Target that were the same exact style as the Pink underwear I have, so it probably doesn't matter if it's VS.
  • Options
    I just got my 13 yr old niece a gift card from PINK store but I guess the yoga pants and shirts that say PINK on it is a trend going around her school.

That's fine but NOTHING else...haha

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    Let me start by saying... WHAT? they have stores dedicated to PINK? We don't have one here.

Secondly. I know a 3rd grader who was wearing appropriate styled underwear but it was still VS. Ugh. I started wearing thongs my freshman year of high school and my step dad was so angry about it that my mom actually took them back! Haha my mom argued that I was in high school now and he argued that with my late birthday I actually wore a pair when I was 12. It rubbed her the wrong way and she made me wait to have them until I was 14. I did get to wear regular underwear VS them all throughout high school though. I loved shopping where she shopped and getting a new bra once a year from them.
    I don't know what I would do about my own child. Probably what my mom ended up doing. She can shop there in high school. I don't want my 10 year old having PINK plastered across their ass. Or any other word for that matter.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    I was unaware they sold other items that wasn't provocative undergarments. I will take my judgement back for now.
  • Options
    CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I was just going to say that.... I think most of the Pink line is even legit clothes (sweats, yoga pants, shirts) and normal panties. I used to have to shop in that side of the store when I was in my early twenties because I was too skinny to wear big girl clothes. I def do not have that problem anymore and do not miss it lol.

But what I do side-eye about your observation, MH, is that those are not cheap items in that store. What the hell does a 12 year old need a $8 pair of panties for? Or even if it was a clothing item, that craps expensive! I'd be more judgy about kids being given loads of money by their parents to spend it on expensive underwear rather than where exactly it came from.
  • Options
    My mom wouldn't allow me to have anything thongs or racy underwear until I was old enough to have a job and do my own laundry. And, I will be like that with my daughter, my DH is already talking about how our daughter will dress, I think it is ridiculous how some of these parents allow their daughters to dress.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Yeah I was just going to say that.... I think most of the Pink line is even legit clothes (sweats, yoga pants, shirts) and normal panties. I used to have to shop in that side of the store when I was in my early twenties because I was too skinny to wear big girl clothes. I def do not have that problem anymore and do not miss it lol.

But what I do side-eye about your observation, MH, is that those are not cheap items in that store. What the hell does a 12 year old need a $8 pair of panties for? Or even if it was a clothing item, that craps expensive! I'd be more judgy about kids being given loads of money by their parents to spend it on expensive underwear rather than where exactly it came from.

:Gasp: I just bout my daughter $8 socks! Honestly, where I live $8 underwear is cheap. Don't forget Christnas was just a few days ago. It could be their Christmas money/GC. Not to mention the massive sales going right now.
  • Options

I was unaware they sold other items that wasn't provocative undergarments. I will take my judgement back for now.

Yep I didn't know either until my SIL mentioned :)

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    I have a lot of opinions about this. First of all, I admit that I was buying thongs and other "sexy" things as young as like 12 or 13. However, if and when I have a DD, I have a feeling she will grow up hearing a lot about my obsevations of misogyny in our culture. And VS is a prime example of the way young girls are manipulated by the media. I guess I have no formal answer for whether or not I'd let my daughter shop there (or at what age) but I hope to call her awareness to the impossible standards of beauty and ridiculous sexual expectations placed on women in this country, and then let her make the call for herself once she's old enough.
    Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"