December 2013 Moms
Options

Hydrocodone while breastfeeding?

Anyone have any input or experience?  I already checked kellymom.com and it lists it as not rated but a level B category.  It also says Hale suggests to watch newborns for sedation, sleep apnea, and constipation.  Wtf.

I was given Hydrocodone 5mg in the hospital for pain when I had DD and they said it was safe for breastfeeding.  

12 days PP, I had to have surgery to have a stent placed because of a kidney stone and infection.  I was given 5mg Hydrocodone and they told me I needed to pump and dump until I am not on the medication anymore.  They also gave me Amoxicillin (which is approved for breastfeeding) and Ibuprofen (approved).  I've been pumping and dumping 24 hours past general anesthesia and I'm questioning why I was told to do this just because of the hydrocodone.  

Do you ladies trust kellymom.com 100% as far as what drugs are safe for breastfeeding?  Anyone have issues with their LO's while taking hydrocodone?  I hate wasting my breast milk if it's good but am glad to pump and dump if it's what is best.  I'm just wondering if the urologist just recommended pumping and dumping because he doesn't know what's safe and what's not.  
~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
imageimage

Re: Hydrocodone while breastfeeding?

• Options
    I am on hydrocodone 5-500. My doctor said it was fine so I trust her
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    Same here, was given hydrocodone in hosp and an RX to go home. Doc said it was perfectly safe and we've had no issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  

Everything leads me to believe it's safe to breastfeed (since Amoxicillin is listed as safe) but now DH is questioning why the doctor (urologist) would tell me to not breastfeed.  
    I told him I assume it's because he's a urologist and doesn't know what's compatible with breastfeeding so he just told me to pump and dump.  

I will call the OB department tomorrow morning and ask one of the nurses.  I would love to breastfeed tonight, though.  I have found it's so much easier to just whip out a boob vs getting up and making a bottle.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • Options
    After my c-section I was given OxyContin 2x day and 2 Percocet 6x day. I was also prescribed hydrocodone for "milder" pain. My OB said it was safe and Jack's pedi told me the same thing.

If you're concerned I would call lo's pediatrician, but if you're taking as prescribed, I'd think you would be safe.

Feel better!
  • Options
    I was also given it after c section at the hospital and to take home. I tried bf, and then decided to pump, and they said it was safe...

Ariella doesn't seem to be constipated and sleeps just fine when she wants to ;-) she does seem to have an upset stomach though, and I'm thinking that's due to the formula though... I'm not 100% sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's fine. I took it after my c-section and I was breastfeeding. I did get terrible headaches when I started cutting back on the dose though.
  • Options
    A urologist likely knows nothing about what is safe to take while breastfeeding. He was probably trying to cover his ass.
  • Options

Same here, was given hydrocodone in hosp and an RX to go home. Doc said it was perfectly safe and we've had no issues.

This

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A urologist likely knows nothing about what is safe to take while breastfeeding. He was probably trying to cover his ass.
    Exactly what I've concluded.  :)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"