September 2012 Moms
Options

If LO came 3+ weeks early...

I plan to ask my pedi about this next week, but was curious, for those of you who had your baby 3 weeks or earlier, were they behind with development?  For example, if they were meant to walk at 9 months, did they potentially walk at 9 months 3 weeks?  I mean, in general every baby develops differently so you wouldn't not know for sure, but did it seem like they were always a little behind the statistic?
TIA!
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If LO came 3+ weeks early...

• Options
    juliane2004juliane2004 member
    edited December 2013
    This is a hard question to answer, since all babies are different.

(Speaking of my three oldest...) My kids walked at 15, 16.5 and 16.5 months respectively. They also did other things a little "slower" too, like they didn't roll till 6-7 months, and didn't crawl till 10-11 months. They were all 3-4 weeks early.

I don't know if they were behind because that's what our genes made or if because they were early.

But, yes, doctors are more lax with milestones if they were early.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    DS1 was 5w early. He was VERY verbal at a young age, but didn't walk until 15 months. So, not really behind but on the late end of normal.

DS2 was 3w early. Walked at 12 months. Pretty much average everything.

DD was 1 day later (WTF 3rd kid). Walked at 11m. Average for everything.

Basically, with my small sample of 3, I didn't really see a huge variation that I would contribute to being "early."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsbhk22 said:

DS1 was 5w early. He was VERY verbal at a young age, but didn't walk until 15 months. So, not really behind but on the late end of normal.

DS2 was 3w early. Walked at 12 months. Pretty much average everything.

DD was 1 day later (WTF 3rd kid). Walked at 11m. Average for everything.

Basically, with my small sample of 3, I didn't really see a huge variation that I would contribute to being "early."

High jacking this post for a sec--- this makes me sad bc my first two were born exactly 3 weeks early, so I'm basically counting on #3 to follow suit. I am far too impatient for a fashionably late baby!!!
  • Options
    I've always noticed W is about 2 weeks behind on Everything until she hit a year. She was 2 weeks early, but I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    mrsbhk22mrsbhk22 member
    edited December 2013
    @jessk86

DD had her own plans. I had Pre term labor issues with the boys. I took p17 shots every week with DD to stay pregnant. They told me when I stopped, she would be here within 7ish days max. I was 4-6cm when I stopped the shots. She was born 6w (!!!!!!) later. Insanity. I was praying for a 35 weeker and I got a 40w1d!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Lexie was 4 weeks early. She was a late roller and crawler and barely did any crawling. She walked before 12m and seems average now.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    Mason was born right on time. Started saying words on the later end of things and still isn't walking. If your DD feels behind to you it's because you're her mom and you love her and you want everything to be perfect for her. I know we hear this all the time, but every child really is so very different and on their own time line. If you're asking the question because you're nervous try and relax and hang in there. While your DD is getting you used to one thing your DS will completely change the curve on you!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Both the boys were born a day before their due dates. Colby did everything 2 months behind keagan. Every baby is different. I think that pediatrician a tend to give a little more slack regarding milestones to babies that were born a little early. Just go with your gut and make sure you have a pediatrician that you trust :)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Cheenomae said:
    Mason was born right on time. Started saying words on the later end of things and still isn't walking. If your DD feels behind to you it's because you're her mom and you love her and you want everything to be perfect for her. I know we hear this all the time, but every child really is so very different and on their own time line. If you're asking the question because you're nervous try and relax and hang in there. While your DD is getting you used to one thing your DS will completely change the curve on you!!
    Thanks! Actually I was asking for DS who is only 5 weeks old.  DD was ahead on everything and I was just curious what I might expect with DS. :)

Our Little Miracle
  • Options
    mnkate said:
    Augs was 3 weeks early. He didn't walk until he was 14 months old, but I don't think that's "behind". He was busy doing other things. I think it's really hard to gauge those types of things. The only thing I know is that Augs was mad at the world for the first month of his life, and I'm convinced it's because he got an early eviction notice.
    This made me laugh so hard!  We're always saying DS seems so angry, haha.  Maybe that's why!

Our Little Miracle
  • Options
    My DD came 8 weeks early last year. She was only 3 lbs 9 oz. She's always done great & thankfully never had an health issues. She's always been small and wasn't even on the growth chart for a while. They would show me her actual weight and adjusted wight on the growth charts. She is now at 50% for weight when we adjust for 2 months. She's come a long way, so everyone is happy with her growth.

As for milestones, she wasn't late on everything. Her teeth came right on time. She's now 15 months and has 12 teeth. I can tell more are coming soon. She's always been pretty active. She babbles & talks up a storm. She sat up and rolled over a couple months late, but very much on time fit her adjusted age. She started walking at 14 months (12 months adjusted), very normal.

We did all of her vaccinations on time for her actual age. She started solids at 6 months.

Like everyone says, every baby is different. Everything always works out in the end.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The girls were 4 weeks early and tend to be on the slower end of normal even with adjusted age being considered. I really don't stress over it too much or keep up with the age/milestones,I know they'll get there eventually. That said, they receive therapy as needed.
  • Options
    crene84 said:

Cheenomae said:

Thanks! Actually I was asking for DS who is only 5 weeks old.  DD was ahead on everything and I was just curious what I might expect with DS. :)

I'd say I read a tad bit too deep into your question, lol!!!

I have heard that, in general, boys are just a little slower at picking things up than girls! I have no idea about the truth behind that, but can confirm it's been spot on with my two!!

• Options
    Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited December 2013
    DD was 11 weeks early, and I don't feel like she has been very delayed (especially for the age she was "meant" to be). She's still not walking (taken a few wobbly steps and cruises constantly), but she can stand up. Given that she is only supposed to be 15.5 at this point, I'm not really concerned. She's a pretty calm, careful, and laid back baby/toddler in general so it doesn't surprise me that she doesn't feel the need to be up and running around. Personality actually has quite a lot to do with what babies are ready and willing to do. With regards to her social skills, vocabulary, understanding, etc., she has always done very well. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"