Babies on the Brain

TTC in about two weeks!!!

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to this site and wanted to say hi! I went off BCP at the end of October and plan to TTC in about two weeks! I have been taking prenatal vitamins since the end of October as well! AF came today so my DH and I will begin to TTC when I OV. I have been tracking AF with an app on my phone but plan to buy OPT to get a good idea when I'm really OV. My husband and I are excited to have a baby but are a little nervous about finances. I am a director at an Early Childhood Preschool, so childcare will be free, but we are still a little concerned because we will need to get a bigger apartment and pay more for the baby's health insurance. We have only told our best friends we are going to TTC because we want to totally surprise our families! Any encouragement, advice or stories are welcome!

Re: TTC in about two weeks!!!

• Apps to track AF on your phone to pinpoint ovulation are a waste of time.  They all assume 14 days to ovulation.  Get a thermometer and track your BBT.  That's the only way to confirm ovulation at home.  OPKs will only tell your body is gearing up to O, not that it is or is going to.  Look into Fertility Friend and chart.  There's a lot of great information on FF.  Also, remember it can take a healthy couple up to year to conceive as you only have about a 20% chance of success each month.

I really don't mean this to sound all debbie downer.  Just want you to have more accurate info to help you on your journey.  Good luck!
  • Apps to track AF on your phone to pinpoint ovulation are a waste of time.  They all assume 14 days to ovulation.  Get a thermometer and track your BBT.  
    This is true for many apps, but not all. I use Ovia Fertility and it calculates ovulation based on whatever you enter of mood, physical symptoms, cervical fluid, BBT, and historic cycles. It's especially helpful if you have irregular cycles because it doesn't just assume you O on cycle day 14.
  • Loading the player...
  • FemShep said:
    Apps to track AF on your phone to pinpoint ovulation are a waste of time.  They all assume 14 days to ovulation.  Get a thermometer and track your BBT.  
    This is true for many apps, but not all. I use Ovia Fertility and it calculates ovulation based on whatever you enter of mood, physical symptoms, cervical fluid, BBT, and historic cycles. It's especially helpful if you have irregular cycles because it doesn't just assume you O on cycle day 14.

That's not what she said she was tracking.  FF does the same thing (though I'm not sure what kind of indicator "mood" is...that's awfully subjective).  She said she was using an app to track AF and OPKs to determine O.  I was simply stating that apps to track AF won't help pinpoint O.
  • Apps to track AF on your phone to pinpoint ovulation are a waste of time.  They all assume 14 days to ovulation.  Get a thermometer and track your BBT.  That's the only way to confirm ovulation at home.  OPKs will only tell your body is gearing up to O, not that it is or is going to.  Look into Fertility Friend and chart.  There's a lot of great information on FF.  Also, remember it can take a healthy couple up to year to conceive as you only have about a 20% chance of success each month.

I really don't mean this to sound all debbie downer.  Just want you to have more accurate info to help you on your journey.  Good luck!
    This is gold.  
    Don't worry, I'm working on it. 

• Thank you for the replays. I'm very well aware that apps that track AF aren't going to help indicate O, but for someone who has been on BCP for seven years, it is an easy way for me to know when it starts, stops and number of days. This making it easy for me to count days and make notes of body changes each month. I know it is unlikely to get pregnant in the first months of trying and I thought this was a community of support and advice. I saw some comments on another board that were unjust. I thank the supportive people for the good advice.
  • ALB3187 said:

Thank you for the replays. I'm very well aware that apps that track AF aren't going to help indicate O, but for someone who has been on BCP for seven years, it is an easy way for me to know when it starts, stops and number of days. This making it easy for me to count days and make notes of body changes each month. I know it is unlikely to get pregnant in the first months of trying and I thought this was a community of support and advice. I saw some comments on another board that were unjust. I thank the supportive people for the good advice.

Op you were given some really great wise advice that will benefit you to listen to. It's extremely supportive to give you information that may help alleviate some of the unknown of TTC. If you think these replies were anything but kind and helpful then this may not be the place for you. TB prides itself on straightforward no fuss help, not just telling people what they want to hear. There are many other forum for that. I wouldn't trade the advice of the ladies on here for anything.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The mean comments were left on another board about my post
  • ALB3187 said:
    The mean comments were left on another board about my post

Someone was talking about this post on another board? I could be wrong but I doubt that. There's nothing out of ordinary about this post, we get these posts all the time. How do you know they were talking about you?
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"