Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

monitors?

DH and I are having trouble deciding if and what kind of monitor we want or need. Our house is 1100 s.f., one story, and our room is directly across the hall from the nursery. I anticipate the baby sleeping in our room at first, and I'm worried I may obsess over a video monitor. Any advice? It seems like every monitor on Amazon has terrible reviews!

Re: monitors?

• Options
    I was telling my family that I had been admiring the video monitors at the Apple store recently. My cousins friend is against them because he works for military intelligence and knows how easy it is to infiltrate. It made me reconsider that option because of privacy. Years ago worked as an au pair and the Swiss mother had brought back a movement monitor which a pad that goes under the bedding that can detect the babies breathing. Which helps prevent SIDS. At Babies-ur-us the other day the motion monitor they had was temporally recalled cause of the cord, I am not sure but I think the brand was V-tack or something similar. I think the motion monitors are a good options. 
  • Options
    I want an audio monitor so that I can hear the baby when I'm out of the room.  I don't care about the video monitor so much because they are a lot more expensive.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We currently have a Samsung video monitor my mom bought us for when I had DS (2 years ago). To say I hate it is an understatement. It worked great for the first few months and around a year old it just suddenly crapped out and is so hit or miss. We've reset it numerous times and nothing works. You literally have to hold it in certain spots for it to work within my house (and it's supposed to reach much further). It also won't hold a charge longer than 25 minutes now, so it basically has to stay plugged in whenever it is on. I seriously hate it.

I have been eying the motorola video monitor's to put in little misses nursery and purchase a second camera for my son's room. I love having the video/night vision because it comes in handy when you are trying to see if they are still awake/asleep at naptime... or for those times you want up with that urge to check on them. It's nice being able to see how they are laying/etc.
    Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 
    ...baby #3 boy MC at 10 weeks

• Options
    I have a Motorola video monitor and love it. I didn't think I needed one before my baby arrived but I quickly changed my mind. I LOVE being able to see what he's doing when I hear a noise without having to go into his nursery to check, which would surely wake him up. I really think it was worth every penny.
  • Options
    We have the Sony Baby Call monitor (no video). It works great, but our room is at the other end of the house from our kid. I will be getting the video monitor for our next one, not knowing if he's standing up crying (meaning I have to go comfort him), or just laying down crying (means he will go back to sleep shortly) is exhausting. I am still contemplating getting one now, even though A is almost 3. I have heard great things about the Motorola, so I will most likely go with that one (there are a few recommendations in previous posts for which model), but if you don't feel the need for the video, I do recommend the Sony.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My house is a little smaller than yours, but we kind of have two monitors :(

First, we had the Sony Babycall and took it back. Too much interference where we are.

We bought the AngelCare (as pp mentioned). It was recalled. The reason is because people where running the cord through the crib and it needs to be run under the mattress. It's a motion detector one. It go horrible reviews from Baby Bargains, but we love it.

As lo got bigger we wanted a video monitor. We wanted to know if and when she fell asleep. We bought the Infant Optics video one on Amazon. It's $99, gets fairly good reviews and we love it. DD is now 2 1/2 and we still use it to see what she is up to.

HTH!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have a summer infant baby touch 2 digital color monitor. I love it! I purchased the second camera so I have one in each child's room. You can add up to 4 cameras. They switch automatically between each camera every 8 seconds or I can just use one camera. It tells room temperature and allows me to talk to them thru the hand held monitor. It's def one of my best purchases.
  • Options
    We love our Samsung. We have an SEW 3037. I read a ton of reviews and heard a lot of complaints that the Motorola would stop working so we went Samsung. The only annoying thing is he sound when you turn it on. (You can read about this in the amazon reviews haha) anyway. It has every feature out there, video, PTZ, etc

We also use a Snuza every night! It's better than the angel care in my opinion bc you can use it in the swing, pack and play etc bc it attaches to their diapers. Also once they start moving around they don't grow out of it.
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards