March 2013 Moms

how to wean when become pregnant?

its possible that I could be pregnant and if not, than hypothetically say I do become pregnant.. I.am BF my 9 month old and he comfort nurses all the time, he doesnt take a binky, and doesnt take a bottle. What will I do if I am prego? That will be quite a.nightmare! ;( this is the only thing that stresses me! Please, any advice?

Re: how to wean when become pregnant?

• Sometimes the best thing is to night wean. The hormone that gets ovulation working is usually made early morning (2am-ish), so night weaning is often the biggest detriment to this and could be a good place to start via sleep training (cry it out/Ferber method if you're willing).

Of course, every woman is different. Some women, like me, get theirs back right away no matter how frequently their LO nurses and others, like friends of mine, have to wean completely in order to start to ovulate.

Beyond that, I have no real help. My oldest weaned because my supply tanked when I got pregnant with #2. She took to the bottle easily since she was pretty much starving by the time I figured it out. And my youngest just stopped nursing during the day because she was eating table food and playing and both of us just stopped doing it, so sleep training effectively weaned her as well.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You don't have to wean; you could plan to tandem nurse if the situation arises. Milk is still the primary source of nutrition before one (before 2 if you follow the World Health Organizations recommendations) so it's probably more than just comfort nursing.

There's a whole lot of info about breastfeeding while pregnant on KellyMom: https://kellymom.com/category/pregnancy/bf-preg/
  • Loading the player...
  • Sometimes the best thing is to night wean. The hormone that gets ovulation working is usually made early morning (2am-ish), so night weaning is often the biggest detriment to this and could be a good place to start via sleep training (cry it out/Ferber method if you're willing).

Of course, every woman is different. Some women, like me, get theirs back right away no matter how frequently their LO nurses and others, like friends of mine, have to wean completely in order to start to ovulate.

Beyond that, I have no real help. My oldest weaned because my supply tanked when I got pregnant with #2. She took to the bottle easily since she was pretty much starving by the time I figured it out. And my youngest just stopped nursing during the day because she was eating table food and playing and both of us just stopped doing it, so sleep training effectively weaned her as well.
    Was number 2.a surprise? What did you do when you became pregnant? I dont want.to tandem nurse so did you give your.first formula? Or cow milk?
  • You don't have to wean; you could plan to tandem nurse if the situation arises. Milk is still the primary source of nutrition before one (bOutefore 2 if you follow the World Health Organizations recommendations) so it's probably more than just comfort nursing.

There's a whole lot of info about breastfeeding while pregnant on KellyMom: https://kellymom.com/category/pregnancy/bf-preg/
    Thank you for the.advice. personally I think tandem nursing.would.be.too strenuous on me. I am a very small woman and wouldnt be able to keep up with all the nutrients I need to support them both. Did you ever tandem nurse?

Was number 2.a surprise? What did you do when you became pregnant? I dont want.to tandem nurse so did you give your.first formula? Or cow milk?
    She wasn't a complete surprise. We knew we wanted them close together, so we weren't preventing and I had already had my first period when my oldest was three months old. It wasn't necessarily our plan to have them THAT clsoe together, though. I naively assumed it would still take longer.

As for what to do: My supply tanked and I did not realize it. My oldest was only 4.5 months old when I got pregnant again. She started getting fussier and not sleeping well at night. It was my husband that pushed me to give her a bottle of formula one night when she was not able to go back down. A few days later I took her in for an appointment and she had lost weight, which is when I finally accepted I had a supply issue. There are ways to try to encourage your supply to pick back up while pregnant (kellymom.com has great suggestions), but since she was already losing weight, we chose to switch to formula rather than play with my supply.
  • You don't have to wean; you could plan to tandem nurse if the situation arises. Milk is still the primary source of nutrition before one (bOutefore 2 if you follow the World Health Organizations recommendations) so it's probably more than just comfort nursing.

Thank you for the.advice. personally I think tandem nursing.would.be.too strenuous on me. I am a very small woman and wouldnt be able to keep up with all the nutrients I need to support them both. Did you ever tandem nurse?
    I have had many friends, small friends, tandem nurse successfully (I was the only in a group of women who got pregnant while breastfeeding who had to wean due to supply issues. Generally speaking, your body is capable of doing both!). As long as you continue to take your vitamins and keep your calorie consumption up, it is possible. Also remember, older children do not nurse as often or as much as a newborn. They may only nurse 3-4 times. Also, if you were to get pregnant this month, your child will be 18-20 months old when the newborn is here.

I have had many friends, small friends, tandem nurse successfully (I was the only in a group of women who got pregnant while breastfeeding who had to wean due to supply issues. Generally speaking, your body is capable of doing both!). As long as you continue to take your vitamins and keep your calorie consumption up, it is possible. Also remember, older children do not nurse as often or as much as a newborn. They may only nurse 3-4 times. Also, if you were to get pregnant this month, your child will be 18-20 months old when the newborn is here.

Thanks alot! I will consider it! :) God bless.you!

She wasn't a complete surprise. We knew we wanted them close together, so we weren't preventing and I had already had my first period when my oldest was three months old. It wasn't necessarily our plan to have them THAT clsoe together, though. I naively assumed it would still take longer.

As for what to do: My supply tanked and I did not realize it. My oldest was only 4.5 months old when I got pregnant again. She started getting fussier and not sleeping well at night. It was my husband that pushed me to give her a bottle of formula one night when she was not able to go back down. A few days later I took her in for an appointment and she had lost weight, which is when I finally accepted I had a supply issue. There are ways to try to encourage your supply to pick back up while pregnant (kellymom.com has great suggestions), but since she was already losing weight, we chose to switch to formula rather than play with my supply.
    Thanks so much for.the info,, it has help alot with the questions a have. It was all great info to know. I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"