Working Moms

NYE with little kids...what do you do?

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited December 2013 in Working Moms
We don't go out on NYE since having kids b/c we don't live near family, getting a sitter is a huge hassle and we're not really into the NYE scene just the 2 of us, I'd rather get a sitter another night and have a dinner that is either not totally price inflated or not limited in menu...

I'd really like to do something w/ friends even if we went home early (there no way my 2 four yr olds can handle staying up til midnight unless maybe it were on a Thurs or Fri & we'd have time to recover before going back to work) but we haven't lived here long and don't really have many friends locally w/ similar aged kids who don't have all sorts of other friends & family they do things w/ etc...last year we tried to do a get together w/ some neighbors & they had a family emergency at the last minute so we didn't do anything & were in bed by 1030. I suspect it'll be more of the same this year but looking for ideas to make it fun for the kids other than just counting down to midnight early.

Any fun traditions at your house?

Re: NYE with little kids...what do you do?

• edited December 2013
    There's a nye party at gymboree but I just found out that dh has to work. We'll probably just order in and put LO to sleep at usual time. Dh and I have a tradition before we had lo of rushing home from dinner if we are out and stripping down naked at 11:59 and kiss at midnight butt naked.. I'm KU this year so I'm not sure if I will be in the mood for that lol. Of course if LO wakes up game is over too.
  • We have dinner with family but then head home early and put the kids to bed. We usually watch crappy TV until midnight, kiss and then go to sleep!
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Were boring...we don't do anything or go anywhere.  Were in bed shortly after midnight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm babysitting this yr. BF is helping ou and bringing sushi. I wish we lived closer I'd watch your LO's. celebrating on a diffnt night is just as fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We do "GMT NYE"; we celebrate the New Year at 7 PM ET, which is 12 AM GMT. We toast with sparkling cider, get all dressed up, and have a dinner of fancy appetizers. It's lots more fun to us than trying hard to stay up to midnight would be, it's much cheaper, the girls adore it, and it's a great way to invite friends over for an earlier fun celebration and then wish them a good evening when they leave for later adult parties.
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited December 2013
    FemShep said:
    We do "GMT NYE"; we celebrate the New Year at 7 PM ET, which is 12 AM GMT. We toast with sparkling cider, get all dressed up, and have a dinner of fancy appetizers. It's lots more fun to us than trying hard to stay up to midnight would be, it's much cheaper, the girls adore it, and it's a great way to invite friends over for an earlier fun celebration and then wish them a good evening when they leave for later adult parties.
    Fun idea, love that!
    ETA I decided to look on pinterest and there are some cute things on there too...
  • My extended family stays the night at the coast, so we go there if I have the day off. It's low key.. Just games, snacks, soup or pasta for dinner. When I have to work, H and I usually order out, then go to bed at our normal time.

• My neighbors through a big party for NYE. We are really close friends with all of them so it's a great time. And then we walk home or we are close if we want to leave early, which we have done most years.

This year, I will probably take DS1 over for a little bit while DH stays home with DS2. DS2 is a mess past 8pm, so I would rather him just sleep in his own bed. I also may just stay home and have a quiet evening at home. We shall see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did "noonday new year's" last year with the kids, and are doing GMT new year's this year.  Highly recommended.

I've realized that I really like having new year's as a quiet night -- I like to celebrate early in the day, then come home and restore some order, put the kids to bed, joyfully send night-owl husband out to the big party that our friends throw, make myself some fancy food, open a more-decent-than-usual bottle of wine, then take a long bath and do all the things I usually skimp on like exfoliate and put on lotion and paint my toes.  That way I can be in bed early-ish and wake up to the new year feeling rested and calm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are staying home, watching movies, and eating funny food. We'll probably make our own pizzas and let DD do her own too. We're getting DD some sparkling grape juice and we'll probably have some champagne. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have a few invites for parties or to hang out on New Year's Eve, but honestly, we'll probably end up at home, just the 3 of us!  And I'm totally fine with it.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• We are going to do an early countdown with DS.  I am going to make kid friendly appetizers and buy party hats, horns and glasses.  Then after DS goes to bed we are going to make filet mignon with bearnaise sauce and king crab legs and have a couple cocktails while watching a movie.  Not super exciting, but it should be fun.
  • We don't do anything for NYE. A friend or two might come over to hang out after the kids go to bed, but nothing special.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited December 2013
    mrsseguin said:
    Were boring...we don't do anything or go anywhere.  Were in bed shortly after midnight.

We're even more boring - we don't even stay up until midnight :)

We live in San Diego and LEGOLAND and some of the other attractions have kid-themed NYE events that happen earlier in the evening (like at LEGOLAND they have a "brick drop" at 6 pm).  I think when our kids are older we'll try doing something like that.  Maybe there are local events like that near you?

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • The past few years we've done a fondue party with our friends and their kids at our house. We all contribute and my friend brings her two fondue pots. We serve one course before the kids are in bed and then a second course for only the adults after they are asleep. The kids do movies and popcorn, dance party and maybe we'll have a paper bag piñata or something. Once the kids are in bed we just talk, listen to music or play games till midnight then pass out.
  • I work until 11 pm. After that, I am sure I will just go home and crack a beer or two and go to bed.
  • LoCarb said:

I'm babysitting this yr. BF is helping ou and bringing sushi. I wish we lived closer I'd watch your LO's. celebrating on a diffnt night is just as fun!

BF? As in boyfriend or best friend?? Details @locarb !!!!! ;;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're having people over.  We're starting at 3 so that friends w/ little kids can come and go home at a decent hour.  We may or may not put DS to bed (depending on how he's doing), then we'll ring in the new year w/ those who stay up!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• DH has to work until 11:30pm. I'll probably be asleep by 9. DD2 will be 8 weeks and is still up 3 times a night, so I don't want to do anything and it would be too hard to get a babysitter.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• I'm babysitting this yr. BF is helping ou and bringing sushi. I wish we lived closer I'd watch your LO's. celebrating on a diffnt night is just as fun!
    Boyfriend of 5.5 mo. He met my girls earlier in Dec and they LOVE him! He's also a Divorcee with 2 girls (8 & 14). He treats me well and makes me feel special. @privacywanted - we will be in LA mid January if you can meet up?
  • We either have people over or put her to bed and have drinks and a nice dinner on our own.  I am also not a fan of going out to crowded, overpriced places on NYE. 

This year, however, my parents will be here to babysit and we're going to a party at our friend's house.  Excited!

• Last year our girls were 1 and 2 and we got all dressed up and went out to Sushi Samba to have a fancy dinner at 5 pm.  We left just as the cool people without kids were arriving. 

Then we came home, put the girls to bed, popped a bottle of champagne and stayed up until 1 am. Yippee! 
  • LoCarb said:
    I'm babysitting this yr. BF is helping ou and bringing sushi. I wish we lived closer I'd watch your LO's. celebrating on a diffnt night is just as fun!
    Boyfriend of 5.5 mo. He met my girls earlier in Dec and they LOVE him! He's also a Divorcee with 2 girls (8 & 14). He treats me well and makes me feel special. @privacywanted - we will be in LA mid January if you can meet up?
    Heyyy thanks :). Wish I lived in CA also. haha!!!!
    Yay on the BF, glad it is going well!
  • The last couple of years we went to a NYE party with other people with small kids and had "New Year's" at 8:00 with sparkling juice, pizza, noisemakers, etc. It was really nice. But, this year they aren't doing it and our house is too messed up to host anything, plus all the kids have colds and DD is getting over a stomach bug. I think we will just stay home. I'll probably get something "fun" for dinner (maybe an appetizer dinner) and we will have some champagne/sparkling juice. I suppose we'll watch a special show or play w/ the kids and have a little countdown/toast with them at some point. Plus hats and stuff--they love that.

Usually I want to "do something" but this year I am A-OK with our plan. We're exhausted and we've been SOO busy. Plus, it's supposed to snow and be SUPER cold so it will be kind of nice and cozy to just stay home. Also, if the weather on the first isn't too bad, we have a family party to go to so we won't be completely on our own for the New Year's holiday. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    edited December 2013
    Thanks all...I'm hoping next year maybe we'll either go out of town to see family/friends/vacation or maybe know enough ppl to do something fun but it is looking like low key at our house too! I am going to do an appetizer dinner and got the kids sparkling juice, myself a small bottle of bubbly (MH doesnt like it, lol) and maybe I'll go nuts & hit the redbox this evening to see if I can get something and just pay the fee to keep it longer than 24 hrs ;). Fun stuff.

ETA: I take that back. I just looked at the movie list on Redbox and there is only one movie on that whole list I'd want to see (Great Gatsby). Maybe we'll be watching orange is the new black or house of cards instead. Sigh. Am I the only one who thinks that movies in the last couple years have totally sucked?
    edited December 2013
    Annnnndddd as the OP who posted w/ no plans, MH invited 2 coworkers over at the last minute yesterday so we will have 12 ppl here and I had to run out & grab food & am spending my day 'off' with 2 kids at home cleaning & prepping.  Watch what you ask for right?
  • LO's DC is having a huge NYE party for the adults downstairs and childcare arrangements for the LO's upstairs, so we will do that tonight. We'll probably head back home shortly after midnight.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a little late to hop on this thread, but this was our first year with SS for New Years (last few years have been on BM's days with him). We wanted to do something fun so we had a fondue and appetizers, sparkling apple juice, and celebrated the New Year at 10pm CST. SS is 5y/o and he had a blast. Then DH and I stayed up till midnight to smooch for the actual New Year.

I hope we get to make the fondue/appetizer evening a tradition because it was really enjoyable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"