C-sections
Options

Massaging the uterus in recovery??

Did they do this to you after your c-section in recovery??  I had it done with my first 2 and it was the WORST PAIN EVER.........like the c-section itself was totally fine and I felt nothing but this massaging of the uterus was what killed me.  Enough to make me not want to go through it again.  I've had some friends that say their hospitals do not do this at all!!  And some say they've had it done.  Just wondering your experiences.  I'm wondering if I can tell them i do not want it done or if it is mandatory?

Re: Massaging the uterus in recovery??

• Options
    I had it done and it wasn't pleasant at all but not bad enough that I wouldn't go through it again to have another child.  The word "massage" should not be used when they are talking about that because to me massages are generally a relaxing and enjoyable thing but this was not! 
  • Options
    Yes... They did it after my second (I don't remember it with my first though). It was pretty bad and I was even still partially numbed from the spinal! I definitely remember it taking my breath away it was so uncomfortable.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes I had it done some in my recovery.  I felt like my spinal wore off really fast and I could feel everything.  The pain was REALLY bad from that but I know it's necessary. It's very important for them to assess this during your recovery to ensure your uterus is staying firm so you don't hemorrhage. Sometimes the "massage" is because you are having heavy bleeding and/or clots or your uterus is boggy and needs to firm up. 
  • Options
    I recall the dr pre-closing up saying they got all of the placenta out, the streching and tugging as they put everything back, and about to be wheeled to the recovery room, then waking up and my LO was across the revovery room and my nurse was checking vitals and brought over LO to put on me to nurse. DH doesn't remember anything about my abdomen being touched by the nurse, nor do I. Maybe depends upon the situation?

When my sister had her kids (neither were by csection) they did that to help her deliver the placenta & she said was more painful then the birth itself.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    After my C, the nurse did it a couple times (no pain) and then instructed me to do it as often as I could stand it. Early on in the afternoon (c was at 1:20pm) she said I was feeling a bit 'boggy' which I gathered wasn't good, so I stepped it up (it also made me think of cranberries-guess I was pretty banged out on pain meds, LOL). Breast feeding helped shrink my ute down some more and holy hell-those contractions were rugged!
  • Options
    it is called a fundal massage..it is done to express blood and clots and make the uterus firm up to prevent excessive bleeding. they do this is vaginal deliveries too. it is standard
    yep- I was hemorrhaging and they had to do this.

the part that sucks royally is that you were just cut open! so they are putting pressure on an incision. my spinal had wore off. it was horrible. the nurse was like, squeeze my hand, and I was like whaaaat, next thing I know my OB is pressing on my uterus... I wasn't expecting that.

oh and they  did it at least 4 times... it was horrible.
  • Options
    hls19 said:

it is called a fundal massage..it is done to express blood and clots and make the uterus firm up to prevent excessive bleeding. they do this is vaginal deliveries too.

it is standard

yep- I was hemorrhaging and they had to do this.

the part that sucks royally is that you were just cut open! so they are putting pressure on an incision. my spinal had wore off. it was horrible. the nurse was like, squeeze my hand, and I was like whaaaat, next thing I know my OB is pressing on my uterus... I wasn't expecting that.

oh and they  did it at least 4 times... it was horrible.

I'm with her. It was terrible. But I knew they pushed most of the blood out and I didn't have any pain meds in me when they did it. Wasn't fun at all.
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • Options
    They hung a bag if pitocin after my section... Which was freaking horrible AND they did the massages. I understand why but it was unpleasant.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options

it is called a fundal massage..it is done to express blood and clots and make the uterus firm up to prevent excessive bleeding. they do this is vaginal deliveries too.

it is standard

This. I had it done periodically the first 24hrs bc I had alot of bleeding...it was very uncomfortable, but not intolerable
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My hospital doesn't do it, but I do know ppl that have had it done and said it was painful
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Im an OB nurse and you should have had uterine massage.  This is to make sure your uterus is clamping back down to prevent bleeding. It's not comfortable but necessary. The only time your shouldn't have uterine massage is when you have a tubal ligation done. This is standard for postpartum patients to make sure you are not bleeding internally after delivery.
  • Options

Im an OB nurse and you should have had uterine massage.  This is to make sure your uterus is clamping back down to prevent bleeding. It's not comfortable but necessary. The only time your shouldn't have uterine massage is when you have a tubal ligation done. This is standard for postpartum patients to make sure you are not bleeding internally after delivery.

I am curious as to why they shouldn't do it if you've had a tubal. I had one with my RCS 6 weeks ago, and they still pressed on my stomach afterwards...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • Options
    Yes, but I think I was still numb from the epidural.  I can't really remember it.  I know my uterus was "boggy" and I bled a lot, so they had to massage even more and then give me a medication every 6 hours for 48 hrs to contract my uterus.  That was with my second LO.  Combined with the after-pains from nursing, it was quite painful.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I had it done.  I remember the nurse apologizing and saying it was going to be really uncomfortable but necessary.  I don't remember it hurting that bad but I might have still been drugged up pretty good.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options

I am curious as to why they shouldn't do it if you've had a tubal. I had one with my RCS 6 weeks ago, and they still pressed on my stomach afterwards...

Typically we don't like to massage the uterus alot when you have a tubal.  Because if you do a lot of pressure then you can actually cause bleeding from the tubal site. They should have done fundal checks which is when they lightly press on your abdomen and check to make sure your uterus is firm and not "boggy" which would mean you are bleeding too much. This is different from massage. You definately need to have fundal checks with light pressure to make sure bleeding is controlled.

• Options
    I've had it done after all 3.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Personally, I found puking after surgery was worse than the "massage".
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"