Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

why wait 3months to ttc

I have my follow up appt tomorrow from my d&c.  I really want to start trying asap..I'm terrified they will say to wait 3 months to try.  It felt like a decade waiting the 2 weeks for this appt.  What reason do they have to say wait 3 months?

Re: why wait 3months to ttc

• Options
    My Doc said we werent going to wait. That he wanted to work with the hormones I still have in my body... What ever that means? I dont quite know how I will feel when I'm starting shots again. But I think I'm ok with it. I mean I wanna get this show back on the road. Even though I'm still hurting so bad for the baby I lost. I think somedays I'm great and I'm ready to start again. And then other days I feel like I'm not mourning the loss of my little one long enough.

<08/03 diagnosed with PCOS started BCPs.
    11/18/06 married
    3/08 stoped BCP
    10/08 gyno said to get a CBEFM and come back in 6 months
    3/09 started acupuncture and herbs to help fertility started charting. No ovulation for over 6 months!
    09/09 first appt with RE
    10/09 HSG tubes clear everything looks good!
    10/09 hubby has super sperm! He is perfect!
    11/09 T.I. with Gonal-F, no Ovulation. cycle cancelled
    MIL got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and we put our TTC plans on hold until chemo appt weren't taking over our daily lives.
    11/12 started on 1000mgs Metformin
    2/13 1st round of Clomid 50mgs no Ovulation
    3/13 2nd round of Clomid 100mgs no Ovulation
    4/13 3rd round of Clomid 150 mgs no Ovulation
    4/13 OB/GYN gave up and referred me to another RE
    5/13 RE prescribed 2.5mg Femara with Follitism along w/ 1500mgs Met
    5/13 Large Cyst ended up benching me for this cycle
    6/13 Cyst ruptured on its own.
    7/13 Benched for one cycle
    8/13 Femara 2.5mg (5 days) 2x a day w/ 75 iuis of Gonal F. (8days) W/ 10000 mcg HCG only produced 2 good follies BFN
    9/13 benched again (they called it a rest LOL!!)
    10/13 femara 2.5mgs (5 days) 2x a day w/ 112.5 of Gonal F (8days)
    w/ 1000 mcg of HCG produced 4 good follies
    BFP!!! HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! Didn't see that coming!! Not in a million years!! LOL!

11/26/13 no heartbeat at 7 wks waiting to miscarry

started to bleed on 12/1/13 bled off and on for 2wks ended up having to schdule a D&C

12/16/13 D&C

1/14 hubby and I talk ourselves into ourselves into one  last cycle, after this we are going to stop to give ourselves a break!

2/14 femara 2.5mgs (5 days) 2x a day w/ 150. iuis of Gonal F (11days)
    w/ 1000 mcg of HCG produced 4 good follies (both of us got sick during prime baby making time so only a couple times of baby making happened.)

3/20/14 CD34 2 positive tests! Started progesterone as soon as I saw that positive! Stick Jelly bean stick!!

After 6 1/2 years of trying for a baby we are finally pregnant and this little one wants to stay put!

6/14 was told baby had 1 in 30 chance of having Down Syndrome from blood work... how should we proceed... Nothing! I worked my butt off for this lil one I'm not going to end its life before it begins!

7/14 20 wk ultrasound. 3 hours worth of scanning trying to measure all the soft markers! Not one soft marker for Down Syndrome. So I just quite worrying about it. Its a Healthy Little Boy!

11/14 measuring really large. 95th percentile! Head measuring very large!

11/24/14 went in for induction. Lil guy got stuck trying to push my bladder out so after 17 hours of labor had to have a c section... 

11/25/14 Lil Man Was born by C-section And I Wouldn't have changed anything! I tried really hard to get him here. I did everything I could do! >

• Options
    My doctor told me to wait three months. Before she told us to wait, she wanted to know how long it had taken us to conceive. It wasn't very many cycles. She wanted my body to have enough time to have at least one normal period. I don't know the rationale beyond that. I am anxious to get started again too, but also want to listen to my doctor. You should do whatever your doctor tells you to do. If you've been having a difficult time getting pregnant they may tell you to start right away. 
    DH diagnosed with testicular cancer 6/04/10
    Married DH 8/1/11
    7/21/13 SA poor morphology/ low count
    BFP #1 11/18/13, EDD 7/22/14 
    MC Blighted Ovum 12/4/13 @ 7wks
    BFP #2 8/21/14, EDD 5/1/15 

All Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine told me to wait 2 periods to try. Her rationale was to help build up the uterine lining. She said it would give my body time to recooperate after my d&c.

photo 547272ca-2f78-4a6c-88ce-0afe6fc98419_zps05f67081.jpg
    BFP#1 9/14/2013  ||  EDD 5/25/2014  ||  mmc discovered on 11/1/2013  ||  d&c on 11/6/2013
    BFP#2 12/8/2014  ||  EDD 8/19/2015 || please be our RAINBOW
    **All Welcome**

• Options
    Three months sounds like a breeze, I was given 5...but probably because I had two miscarriages in 4 months? Anyway sorry for your loss! You will find you may need all three months to grieve! I know it's been almost 4 since mine and I still have spurts of grieving! Good luck to you!
    Married DH 1/5/13
    BFP #1 4/29/13 Chemical Pregnancy 5/6/13
    BFP #2 7/30/13 EDD 4/12/14
    MMC@9w (found out at 10w) 9/15/13
    D&C 9/16/13
    Started trying again 2/17/14
    BFP #3 4/19/14 Chemical Pregnancy 4/21/14
    BFP #4 8/18/14 EDD 4/25/15
    Began Lovenox 8/18/14
    Heterotopic Pregnancy- Interuterine MMC@6w 8/28/14 
    Found Ectopic 9/16/14 Lost Right Tube
    BFP#5 11/8/14 EDD 7/21/15 Ovulated from Right Ovary!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    This time they ask me to wait until I stopped bleeding.  Last time I was to wait for first period.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options
    My NP said 2-3 cycles when we first found out and then "a couple" cycles at my follow up appointment. So, I think we're waiting 2 cycles. She said the chances are better if you wait a few cycles, but not to freak out if you do get pg right away, and to keep taking prenatal vitamins. Honestly, I think a lot of medical proffessionals have differing opinions on it. I've heard other people be told to go ahead and try again right away, because you're more fertile the first few months after MC (maybe something to do with all the hormones?)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think some might depend on why you mc. My doctors have said anywhere from 1-2 periods (I've mc-ed at 12wks, 8wks, 5wks).

That said, I know someone that mc and was pregnant immediately after. 

Discuss with your doctor why they think you should wait. It's hard, but I did it because I didn't want my eagerness to put a new pregnancy at risk.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1: 8/2012; EDD 5/4/2013; MC 10/2012 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 4/2013; EDD 1/4/2014; MC 5/2013 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #3: 7/2013; EDD 4/4/2014; MC 8/2013 @ 5 weeks
    BFP #4: 12/1/2013; EDD 8/13/2014; D&E 1/17/2014 @ 10 weeks
    BFP #5: 5/27/2014; EDD 2/3/2015
    8/7/2014 It's a boy!
  • Options
    My doctor told me 3 normal cycles to build up the uterine lining. As hard as it will be to wait, I'm going to do it because I want to give my next pregnancy the best possible chance.
    MC 13w2d D&C 01/03/2014.  Miss you, my little butterfly.
  • Options
    Just saw my doctor last week.  She said new studies show there's no need to wait the 3 cycles, which may be exciting news for some.  But of course I fully respect those that do wait several months.
  • Options
    I had my d&c last Monday and my appt is next Monday so 2 weeks after the d&c. I agree with you saying it seems like forever waiting for this appt even though I still have some spotting. I am anxious to find out how long we should wait bc like you I hope it's not 3 months. 3 years ago I had a d&c and had to wait 3 months and then it took us another 3 months to get pregnant. I have a new dr so I'm not sure what he will recommend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #1 11/18/10 EDD 7/25/11 MMC 1/7/11 D&C 1/27/11 BFP #2 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12 DD#1 4/19/12
  • Options
    My doctor also told me to wait 2-3 cycles to build up the uterine lining. After reading some of the comments, it seems that most people who are told to wait are the ones that had a D&C, which I did not, so now I am annoyed that maybe I do not have to wait? Like farmerswife06 said, I just want to get the show back on the road again! I am tired of dwelling on the fact that I am not pregnant anymore. This sucks.
    Allyson: 28; DH: 27
    BF/GF~~Dec. 03 Highschool Sweethearts <3
    Married~~10.6.12
    TTC~~July 13
    BFP~~Nov. 13+++
    MC~~Dec. 13 8 weeks
    HSG~~Dec. 14
    Unexplained Infertility
  • Options
    After my first loss (no D&C), I was told we could start trying again immediately.

After this latest one I did have a D&C and my OB recommended, but said it's not required, at least 2 cycles before trying again to build a new lining on the uterus.  I have a follow up next Monday to discuss it more.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit My Twin Life 
  • Options
    I was told to wait until after one normal cycle. I really didn't think it was necessary, and she only said it after I asked if we could try again right away (she said "you can wait until after one normal cycle"), but I worried that if I had another m/c that I would always wonder if it was because I didn't wait the month. So we waited.

• Options
    I just saw my doctor for my 2 week followup for my d&c today. He said I could start right away - that there was no scientific reason to wait. I specifically asked him about rebuilding the uterine lining, since that is a reason I've seen cited quite often on these boards.

He said that the wait was mainly for emotional reasons - that it would just be too difficult to go through two losses back to back like that if something did end up going wrong. He said that people do get pregnant immediately after a miscarriage - that he has delivered many such babies.

But that statistically the chances of a miscarriage are the same as they always are. He told me that as long as I understand that just because I've miscarried once doesn't increase or decrease my odds of miscarriage going forward, then I can go ahead as soon as I feel ready.

Personally I may wait at least one cycle just because his opinion seems to be in the minority from what I've read on the boards. And god forbid if something did go wrong again, I would always blame myself and wonder if it was because I didn't wait.

Just thought I'd share what he told me, since it is a little different and could be taken into consideration if one so desired.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @PinkRoses it seems different doctors have different opinions. My doctor tends to generally err on the side of caution - she told me running was too high impact during my pregnancy and to avoid it, and advised against lunch meats. She ordered genetic tests after mc#1 even though she originally said she wasn't going to unless it happened twice. She told me the 3 cycles thing to allow the uterus to go back to normal and form a good quality placenta next time (in case the placenta was the problem). Waiting so long will be difficult, but I just want to do everything I can to give my next pregnancy the best chance. I'm sure there is nothing you or I could have done to prevent our mc's. But I am also in the worry/guilt category, especially since I got pg right after stopping the pill after my doc had told me to wait 3 weeks. I didn't expect to get pg so soon...
    MC 13w2d D&C 01/03/2014.  Miss you, my little butterfly.
  • Options
    I know how you feel. I am CONSTANTLY in the worry/guilt category. But that's my personality and I do that with everything. So something as monumentally important as this - I go into overdrive.

If waiting helps to form a good placenta then I'm all for it!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @PinkRoses: My doctor said the exact same thing. He suggested waiting 2 cycles for psychological reasons and that the uterine lining doesn't thicken more and more every month. It builds up during your cycle and then if a pregnancy doesn't occur, your period begins and the lining is thin again. Unless you have a medical condition that thins your lining, waiting won't thicken it. I agree with those who have said waiting will ease your mind. I am currently in my first cycle after my mc and we are debating whether to wait.

Ava's Story
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 10/18/13  Blighted ovum 11/25/13

BFP #3 1/31/14 EDD 10/18/14 -- It's a GIRL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @Jessica220 - thanks for posting this. It is reassuring to know that my doctor isn't totally in left field. It's hard to trust someone when what they're telling you is so different from everything else that you're hearing, you know? And I'm in a place right now where I need to be able to trust completely. I think we all are. Thank you again.

And I will try my best to wait.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    PinkRoses said:
     If waiting helps to form a good placenta then I'm all for it!
    I love this sentence!!!!   :)  
  • Options
    I asked my OB about this today actually- she said you will get a different answer depending on which doctor you ask, as there is no real science behind it. She had recommended to me that I wait until my first AF post m/c, but she said other doctors will recommend 2 or 3 cycles. Hope that helps.
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• Options
    My doctor also told me to wait 3 cycles, but she said if I get pregnant before that, it's not a big deal. She said they recommend 3 cycles to give you the best possible chance for a good pregnancy next time.
    Miscarriage 11/13/13 @ 7.5 Weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"