Detroit Babies
Options

Breast feeding help

I have a 5 day old boy who has had trouble latching from day 1. I tried a breast shield which helps but it takes about 15 to 30min to finally get a good latch and it hurts so much with the shield. He lost 11% of his birth weight which has the doctor concerned so I have to feed every 3 hours. I can get him to latch and feel him suck 2 to 3 times without the shield and then he let's go and screams and cries. I'm exhausted from trying. Last night I pumped and introduced the bottle because my nipples are so so sore. I really want to breast feed! Any advice, tips would be much appreciated. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Re: Breast feeding help

• Options
    I suggest you call the hospital where you delivered and ask to speak with the lactation consultant. You can make an apt to see them as well or have one come to your home. Saved me with my twins! The LC was out of town when I delivered and we had quite a struggle. When I got home I got in touch with her and she gave me the number for a LC who does house calls. It was extremely helpful and she was always available by phone text email when I had questions.
    Anniversary Baby
  • Options
    Contact your local La Leche League.  They were a wonderful help to me after my first child was born.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope you've contacted your local hospital lactation consultant or La Leche League.  LLL was soooo helpful to me when my daughter was born.  The first month of breastfeeding is grueling, but very worth it in the end!  You may want to have your pediatrician check your baby for a tongue-tie, too.  I have had a couple of my close friends recently have experiences such as yours and it ended up their baby had a tongue-tie.  One minor procedure fixed it and they're nursing champs now!  Hang in there!!  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"