Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Staying Up Late on Christmas Eve to See Daddy?

So my husband is a nurse who works 12 hour shifts. On work days he leaves home before DD wakes up, and comes home after her bedtime. She misses him sooo much on his work days so on his off days they are inseparable. She is on a strict schedule because she gets cranky, and sometimes sick, when we alter it. But I am thinking of letting her stay up late so she can spend Christmas Eve with her dad. He has to work tomorrow. I can't get her up early, because on mornings when she gets up early on her own and she sees him leave, she freaks out and he gets upset because he doesn't want to leave her.

It's a special day and I don't think it will completely ruin her schedule... but I am kind of worried about it because lately if we are even just 30-45 minutes behind schedule it takes like 2 hours to get her to bed. She gets overtired so easily and she has huge tantrums if we don't stick closely to her schedule. I'm kind of worrying that if I let her stay up, then she will be happy to see her dad for a little while, but then she will be cranky and it won't be nice anymore. Like, the tantrum that will likely happen at bedtime won't be worth it for either of us. She is too little to really appreciate the meaning of the holiday. If I treat it like any other day she won't know the difference... but I think DH would be sad to miss me and DD setting out a cookies and such for Santa, etc. So partly I'd be letting her stay up to see him, but also so he could see her.

Also, when he's home, her bedtime does not go smoothly. He lets her get away with a lot of things that I don't. He doesn't make her brush her teeth longer than a few seconds or sit still to have her hair brushed or put on pajamas, so it takes forever to do it when he's home because the whole time I'm trying to get her ready for bed, he's asking me why I'm doing each thing. "She can go to bed without her hair brushed this one time." etc. She can throw a fit and he gives in. So she'll have a tantrum for his benefit even though when its just me she goes through the routine like an angel. Because she knows I won't give in. Since usually I'm the one doing the bedtime routine I let it go. He has his style of parenting and I have mine. But on Christmas Eve, of all the nights of the year, I'd like to have a smooth bedtime. You know? But at the same time, I would love it for her and her dad to get to spend time together. I wanted them to get to set out Santa's snacks and stuff together and get a couple of pictures before bed. I was thinking of letting her open one present but I may not... since she'll want to stay up all night playing with it. I don't know...

Is it worth it to have a crazy bedtime so she and DH can spend time together? Or worth it to have a peaceful bedtime and wait until Christmas morning?

Am I over thinking it?

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Staying Up Late on Christmas Eve to See Daddy?

• Options
    This is a tough one. I'm a big fan of sticking to a routine as well. If staying up late on Christmas Eve has any chance of ruining the big moment of Christmas Day, then I might just stick with your normal routine,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From what you describe, I certainly wouldn't change the routine.  Christmas Eve is somewhat arbitrarily special.  And, clearly, to her, it's really the days with daddy that are super special.  Make that the best it can be, rather than following something a calendar tells you.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can understand why you would want to keep her up so that daddy can watch her set out cookies and spend a little time with her.  But, reading what you described I would not deviate from her regular routine.  If she doesn't get a good sleep on Christmas Eve her Christmas day could be all messed up.

If daddy also works Christmas day than no question I would keep her up, but if he'll be home I'd put her to bed.  Take a video/pictures of her putting out cookies so daddy can still see it.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was all set to say let her stay up until you described the challenges it might pose - I think if rather try to ensure a good Christmas Day personally. And I know what you mean about Daddys messing up the bedtime routine ! Mine likes to play with her at that time, drives me crazy!!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    We won't be letting our DD's stay up late to see my husband, but we will be video recording everything. Can you just video record your xmas eve stuff?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies and perspective. Its good to know that my DD isn't the only one who needs a specific bedtime. Me and my brother were the same way as kids. When we stayed up late we'd just pass out if we went too far past a certain point, and then we were cranky for days afterward.

I wish we could visit him for his lunch but he's on a closed ward (no visitors), and his break room is in that same ward. His lunch is so short that he doesn't have time to leave. I am going to take a bunch of pics and videos though so he doesn't miss out on her setting out a plate for Santa. We have far away family who would want to see it too.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"