Special Needs
Options

Anyone familiar with Dept of Devel Disabilities?

I have a question about DDD. MY son has SPD and expressive and receptive speech delay. I was told 6 months ago to apply him for DDD. He had aged out of early intervention and DDD would provide him more speech therapy and OT, which insurance had "maxed" out on. So I did and have been waiting for all the eval stuff to come back. DDD did approve him for "at risk" due to speech delay. So that meant I had to qualify for ALTCS (Arizona Long Term Care System) to get any services. So I got a letter today stating he didn't qualify because he did not medically meet needs. That in order to qualify he would have to have medical needs that place him in a nursing home facility or long term care facility. Never has this been mentioned to me. Devel peds and EI people encouraged me to apply with DDD, but if he had to have qualifying medical needs that would be serviced thru him being in a nursing home, why would they have pushed me. What a waste of time. Does anyone know if this "reasoning" is true or can DDD provide services without them being in a care facility. The evaluator who saw him basically said he wouldn't qualify because he doesn't have severe delays, but the reasoning is a bit confusing to me? anyone have insight. Thanks

Re: Anyone familiar with Dept of Devel Disabilities?

• Options

My son does get ST thru school district early preschool, but that is only one hour a week and peds thinks he could use more, so that's why they were pushing DDD, but the way this letter reads is that if he isn't in a nursing home or requiring nursing home type of care, he doesn't qualify for anything. I just feel totally misled once again. Thanks for the recommendation of state rep, I will try this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"