Attachment Parenting
Options

Help with ring sling

Hello, I'm new to this board and struggling with getting my 3 week old in my ring sling.  I start with it threaded evenly across the rings, a large pouch, the fabric spread out evenly across my back, and the rings just below my right shoulder.  Everything seems OK when I tighten the top rail but when I tighten the bottom rail, weird things start happening.  The rings move down and towards the center of my body near his head, he moves up or down, the fabric in the back bunches together some so that it is no longer spread across my back.  It works, but it is very uncomfortable for me.  After just a few minutes, I'm having pain in my back and my son is barely 7 pounds.  I'm starting him with his cheek on the top of my left breast.  My sling is a linen sweet pea sling.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Help with ring sling

• Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited December 2013

Get the bottom rail snug before you put baby in. You can shove his little legs through easily, even if it is very snug. (I advocate legs out with knees-higher-than-bum from birth.) As for the top rail, it should be loose enough to pop you elbow into, but not looser than that. It sounds like you are doing too much adjusting once baby is in. Have 90% of the fit done before you get baby up and in. When you tighten to finish, don't yank the whole width of fabric at the same time. Adjust just the top rail as needed once baby is in, but (optimally) the middle and bottom rail will be fine from  your pre-adjustment. If you do need to tighten those, lift baby's weigh and then pull the middle of the fabric. Left baby's weight and pull the bottom rail. Pulling it all at once will pop baby's seat. (A poor seat is another reason for back pain or pulling.)

Is the top of his head high enough to kiss without staining your neck in any way? That is the optimal height. With my anatomy, baby's head at the top of my breast would be way too low.

For what it is worth, some people just cannot do asymmetrical carries without pain. I don't think you have to call that yet, as you can try the tweaks above. But, do be aware that if you have other back issues, another carrier (like a woven wrap) may benefit you. Also, if you have a babywearing group in the area, check that out.

• Options
    at that age my LO was going in my sling with frog legs (he is 3 mos now and i wear him with legs out now). i would get my sling ready by tightening the inside edge (closest to my body) until it was snug up under my armpit. this is how the lady at the boutique i bought it from showed me. the outer edge was loose, so it looked like a pouch ready to receive baby. i did all the other things u mentioned as well, making sure ring was slightly higher, threading not crazy, etc. i eased baby into sling, slightly off-center because after tightening baby would end up closer to the ring. careful with fingers! i never had a problem with this method. 

whenever i did experience back problems, it was because i wore baby too low. that will mess with you posture. make sure baby is snug fairly high, where u'r able to just tilt your head down and kiss the top of their head. 

hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!  I'll be trying again today
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"