Attachment Parenting

Intro & semi-question

I'm not sure the etiquette, but I'm sure there are some regulars on here so here's a quick intro since I plan to hang around here (even if mostly lurking):

I have a 3 y/o DS and a 19 month old DD and #3 DD on the way due early April. We are a pretty AP family, I think. I know that the picture of an AP family can change from family to family, but we are pretty responsive parents and follow a lot of AP practices, though I think we could use work in other areas :)

We semi-bedshare. DD slept in a crib next to our bed for her first year and has since STTN (mostly) in her own room after self-weaning (well I still wonder if I couldn't have worked harder at extended BFing, she stopped after a biting incident) around 12 months.

DS kind of sleeps in his own room but not all night. 9/10 times he ends up in our bed at some point during the night. I have a question regarding his sleep. He's in his own twin bed now and it really sucks. He gets in and out at will, of course, and most nights DH and I fall asleep listening to him play in his room. On one hand, I'm all about letting his body be his bedtime and not the clock, but on the other hand I really think he needs to be sleeping earlier! He literally will stay up until midnight or later. He wakes during the night most nights at least once (and ends up in our bed) and wakes in the morning anywhere from 8-10. He no longer takes a nap during the day. He's not a cranky or fussy kid. Could it be that he just really doesn't require more sleep? Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Married 3.14.09
DS born 8.20.10
MC 7.11.11
DD born 5.24.12
#3 EDD 4.02.14

Re: Intro & semi-question

• My DS is only 2, so I have no experience with this at all, but have you considered including in your family's bedtime routine a "toys go to bed too" thing where all the toys need to be cleaned up and go to sleep? Then everything would be put away, and maybe DS could pick one thing to keep out and play with until he goes to sleep. That toy could "go to bed with him." Just a thought! :)
    imageimage
  • Emerald27 said:

My DS is only 2, so I have no experience with this at all, but have you considered including in your family's bedtime routine a "toys go to bed too" thing where all the toys need to be cleaned up and go to sleep? Then everything would be put away, and maybe DS could pick one thing to keep out and play with until he goes to sleep. That toy could "go to bed with him." Just a thought! :)

Thank you! We have tried this. We clean up every night but he just gets everything back out.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi and welcome!

I don't have any direct experience with your situation either, but one of my friends' daughter goes to bed very late as well. She's about the same age as your DS. So I guess it's not totally uncommon?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"